Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firemagnet View Post
    Reconstructed or salvaged and re-floated with some new builds in place. Most likely out of sheer necessity, given the immediate housing concerns. Plate submergence seems very implausible given that such things happen over millions of years, not decades. Aside from that, we are presented with the Sarushima, a USS-Independence-class ship, as part of Yokosuka's non-trainer inventory. I will also laugh, hard, if one of the nations which has disappeared off of the map permanently is the US, given that Nevada & Colorado are both 6k feet above sea level, and the maximum rise looks to be about 200 feet (~60 meters). While this is vastly more than the projections for 2100 as influenced by global warming (~19 meters), the idea that most nations would "simply disappear under the waves" seems to be a bit farfetched. Island nations like the Philippines, Singapore, UK, etc? sure. Major continental masses, especially those with major mountain-ranges? Not so much.

And then there's the amount of steel required to maintain and remanufacture those ships. Keep in mind that the Harakaze(?) is listed as hull number Y467, meaning that of the ships of similar classification in the Yokosuka area, it is the 467th such ship. Typically, these numbers seem to be internal to the navies in which they are used, though they can be international. For instance, The JDS Atago is hull number is DDG 173 and the JDS Ashigara is hull number DDG 178. Similarly, the US has numbers 1 through 112. However, as far as I can tell, these are international numbers, for the Liaoning is Pennant number 16, even though there are no previous carriers fielded by the PRC.

So, for such purposes it would seem that Yokosuka has at least 467(!) active ships of destroyer classification, that or it is the 467th active vessel of the classification "destroyer" in active service. Either way, the numbers are mindboggling, and flatly impossible given both Japan's paucity of resources as well as the damage rising sea levels would do to economies, both metallurgical and otherwise.
    Well, you know how military anime productions (specially the ones with shows involving the current JSDF and IJN) tends to portray the unrealistic capabilities of the country. Take GATE for example which shows an extremely overpowered JSDF and now Highschool Fleet which puts Japan at the top of the naval forces in the world, there are many other examples but all share the same trope of showing that Japan as the strongest country in the world with lots of resources, weaponry and several other stuff... so yeah, it's mostly to gain the favor of the hardcore nationalists and military otakus.

Rep
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    @Kranesh It is the Japanese military's trump card. "Ganbarimasu" mode. They become invincible and become the world leader overnight.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4874 Post(s)
    @Kranesh Gate was vs Roman legions. Fucking Somalia could front an army that would overpower that.

IGN
    illyrin
    Server
    Sukumo Bay Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    919 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firemagnet View Post
    edit 3:

I love that disclaimer in Episode 1 of Joker Game: "this is a work of fiction. The characters, names, organizations, locations, etc are unrelated to actual events."
    It's a very standard disclaimer in Japan. You see a similar disclaimer at the end of pretty much every American movie. I'm 99% sure you see it at the end of Saving Private Ryan, for instance.

Basically the producers of Joker Game are saying, "we're not vouching for the historical accuracy of anything going in here, we're just telling a story."

Rep
    Mentioned
    4874 Post(s)
    @illyrin It's also pretty much used as a joke even when what is going on in the show could only come from the imagination on someone high on all of the drugs.

IGN
    illyrin
    Server
    Sukumo Bay Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    919 Post(s)
    @Leyana Those are fun. Though I've noticed that disclaimer showing up on a lot more things in Japan quite recently, so I'm guessing it's a relatively recent law.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4874 Post(s)
    @illyrin Don't think it's a law. It's also been around for a long time.

Rep
    Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    just watched netoge no yome, ep. 2. Pretty funny. Definitely continuing to watch this.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1649 Post(s)
    @Leyana: Re. Joker Game: Agree about the theme - IJA liaison ML questioning his rigid beliefs/standard doctrine/etc. Already getting that with Ep. 02. To me, the US spy acted more too overconfident and antagonistic. It is 1937 Imperial Japan. Not like the dude's got a ton of rights. Some indignation is warranted, but not to the point (IMO) of just goading the IJA guy and his inspection team on. I mean, he's like "Hurry up and commit seppuku! Japan's awesome!". Bleh.

Ep. 02 had some wonky things IMO, but eh, need to have some suspension of disbelief. Show pushes mine a bit more than I would like for a serious, "smart" spy thriller. It's still one of the better shows IMO in what so far is for me a fairly tepid season. Nothing I'm watching really stands out. As for changing the names, that does fit with the spy them, but yeesh, having a hard enough time distinguishing the spy characters as it is.

Lastly, totally agree with you about GATE. Any modern army would beat Roman/medieval era armies though I dragons & magic make it a big tougher for small nations.

@illyrin: Re. Hai-Furi: I have a similar worry here. Personally, fair enough on the flooded world aspect since it's background/setting and they at least did give some reason for it (though perhaps ideally it would be stated in the anime itself). Still, there's a dearth of world-building resulting in a lot of unanswered questions such as, yes, WHY WWII training ships (other than the obvious show marketing reasons)? I'm assuming they are more "navy" than coast guard, because, as you note, Musashi as a coast guard vessel is ridiculous. Only Ep. 01 so time to improve fill in gaps though I have a feeling we won't get a lot of that apart from the whole setup as traitors plot line. Show has to do at least that much - right?

As for the fishing boats - don't need 46cm cannon for that. Total overkill even if they are big fishing boats. Those are not armored ships. 15.5cm (6") guns will work just fine for those targets.

@firemagnet: I'll give the plate shifting as a reason for the flooding a pass. At least they gave SOME explanation for all the flooding. As for the rest of the world, well, I don't think those details will be given. Besides, given that the plot threat here is internal rather than external, probably not worth bogging down with exposition. The issue I'm having is a lot of what's been mentioned - why/how WWII ships?

Good point about the hull numbers, but DDG =/= DD. For example.USS Spruance is DD-963 whereas Arleigh Burke is DDG-51. Still, Harekaze's hull number is pretty high which leads me to suspect that these ships are not the WWII versions, but purposefully built new versions which makes no sense on a number of levels - including why isn't the entire ship modernized (even excluding weaponry) beyond RADAR? Voice tubes? Really?

Again, only one episode, but I strongly suspect viewers will need a good deal of suspension of disbelief/don't think about things. Just hope the fights are good and they get the ship/military details right.

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.