Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Fall event Maint will start on 17th Nov. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      New Forum "Azur Lane" has been added to User Suggested Forums
Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Something intrigues me is about the world setting in Haifuri.

It is "aircraft technology doesn't exists". What?! Wright Brothers, did your flying machine experiment had failed?

The evidence showed in Episode 2, Kouko said if they have something to fly back home fast, but Mashiro responded "it just a fantasy outside from the Hydrogen or Helium flying ships".

So there is no such things are fixed-wing aircraft (both propellers and jets) and rotorcraft, but blimps and Zeppelins are probably exist. However, watercraft are the mainstream long distance transport in the world of Haifuri.

Also, no aircraft, then no aircraft carrier. Sigh...What a downer...as a CV lover...

Last edited by Moeflyer; 04-20-2016 at 06:56 AM.

IGN
    Laisy
    Server
    Hitokappu
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3750 Post(s)
    @Moeflyer Awww that's a shame... just lost a bit of interest in this show... as a aircraft lover...

Nothing much happening right now, isn't it?

Laisy's Journey of Drawing

IGN
    Darjeeling
    Server
    Brunei Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    5694 Post(s)
    I've seen the first two episodes of this and i must say i'm unsure what to think of it, on one hand "Yay ww2 ships anime" but on the other, i'm not sure the conspiracy plot makes much sense.

Also, the destroyer apparently sortied with one torp, didn't get assistance from its flotilla when its engine malfunctioned, (surely another ship could have taken her under tow) and so far the main characters seem keen to answer accusations of mutiny with more mutiny.

I'm going to keep watching to see what else happens, but so far i'm not sure i can recommend this.

Married to Nagato 23/02/2016. Married to Iowa 26/09/2016. Married to Warspite 25/10/2016. Married to Houshou 19/12/2016.
    Married to Musashi 26/02/2017 Married to Ushio 10/03/2017. Married to Maya 25/03/2017. Married the Chitose Sisters 24/07/2017.
    The Ship Soul War (Kancolle Fanfic)

Rep
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Harrab View Post
    I've seen the first two episodes of this and i must say i'm unsure what to think of it, on one hand "Yay ww2 ships anime" but on the other, i'm not sure the conspiracy plot makes much sense.

Also, the destroyer apparently sortied with one torp, didn't get assistance from its flotilla when its engine malfunctioned, (surely another ship could have taken her under tow) and so far the main characters seem keen to answer accusations of mutiny with more mutiny.

I'm going to keep watching to see what else happens, but so far i'm not sure i can recommend this.
    I think it is the instructor's plan all along to test what Harekaze's crews are capable of.

You should know that Harekaze is crewed by a bunch of misfits. Their entry test results were at the bottom of all classes.

Also, the instructor had said "A calm ocean cannot breed great mariners". Just like a lioness leaves her cubs to the steppe, make them on their own to learn how to hunt and survive.

So she made an incident to frame Harekaze has gone rogue, made the ship is being hunted or make their life on the sea as difficult as possible.

Well, this is what I think in the positive way. I hope I won't see "The Urobutcher" on the next episode.

Last edited by Moeflyer; 04-20-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)
    @Moeflyer: I have difficulty buying into the "it's a test" theory. Just look at all the lives endangered (in theory - I don't see this show as "grim-dark" at all) for such a test. Even if you put endangering crews (on multiple ships), Sarushima was sunk. Hell of an expensive training exercise. If the instructor set this all up as a test, she's gonna spend a long time in the brig. We'll see next episode with Musashi, but if I'm right that Musashi is in trouble (it's not a trap), then clearly there's more going on here than just "trial by fire" training.

As for "bottom of the class", IMO that is lip service. Harekaze crew is way too competent to buy into that. Sure they are oddball personalities (some at least) and they are not "serious" except for the deputy captain, but their actual ability to perform duties is in stark contrast from say a lot of girls in GuP (who couldn't even start a tank in Ep. 02). Obviously the show is trying to set them up as big underdogs/"rookies" like GuP, but they are waaaay to competent given how things play out. Just look at how easily they defeat Graf Spee. If Harekaze's crew is the "worst", how bad does Graf Spee's crew suck?

As for this going Urobutcher", I don't get that vibe at all. Could be wrong, but too light fluffy for that so far. I'd be surprised if anyone dies in this show, especially a central character (i.e. not FL, but say someone other than misc. background character though even that would surprise me a little).

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

IGN
    Darjeeling
    Server
    Brunei Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    5694 Post(s)
    @goesto11

yeah, they did defeat a battleship with one shot and took little to no damage in return, and were even able to rescue the girl in the water.

Graf Spree crew sucked

Married to Nagato 23/02/2016. Married to Iowa 26/09/2016. Married to Warspite 25/10/2016. Married to Houshou 19/12/2016.
    Married to Musashi 26/02/2017 Married to Ushio 10/03/2017. Married to Maya 25/03/2017. Married the Chitose Sisters 24/07/2017.
    The Ship Soul War (Kancolle Fanfic)

IGN
    Trickster
    Server
    Palau Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3103 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moeflyer View Post
    Something intrigues me is about the world setting in Haifuri.

It is "aircraft technology doesn't exists". What?! Wright Brothers, did your flying machine experiment had failed?

The evidence showed in Episode 2, Kouko said if they have something to fly back home fast, but Mashiro responded "it just a fantasy outside from the Hydrogen or Helium flying ships".

So there is no such things are fixed-wing aircraft (both propellers and jets) and rotorcraft, but blimps and Zeppelins are probably exist. However, watercraft are the mainstream long distance transport in the world of Haifuri.

Also, no aircraft, then no aircraft carrier. Sigh...What a downer...as a CV lover...
    Because World War 1 and 2 never happened, hence aircrafts which was introduce in the 1st war never being popularized via theorist etc. SAME goes to tanks.

But in my opinion aircrafts were still invented, but not popular except in America and if do so they're just used for simple use...

Lord Paramount of the High Gardens. [Flower Knights pomf'ed: 140]
    Flower Knight Girl ID: 221329971 (DMM)
    Shiratsuyu-Girls:
    Shiratsuyu, Shigure, Murasame, Yuudachi, Harusame, Samidare, Umikaze, Yamakaze, Kawakaze, Suzukaze

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)
    @dandan550: Was it expressly stated that WWI never happened (or WWII for that matter)? As for WWII, the "female crew as a 'sign of non-aggression'" (though again, why are you building a crap load of warships if you're trying to be pacifists) = Japan not in it. Graf Spree might suggest the same, but then again might have just survived (like a lot of the USN ships during RL WWII).

Even if neither WWI or WWII happened, IMO that still does NOT explain no planes. Planes =/= tanks when it comes to non-military usefulness. There was plenty of aircraft development during the inter-war years (including mono-wing designs and IIRC seaplanes which would be VERY useful in this setting).

IGN
    Trickster
    Server
    Palau Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3103 Post(s)
    @goesto11 Didn't I said before that the planes become much known during WW1? That is where the development go further during the Interwar years, but since WW1 never happen, it's development may be slower than what happen in our time.

Also the warships were reused not built. Hence this explains why in the story shows they still use the old, but retro-fitted ships. Yes we saw a modern ship, but probably (obviously) came from another nation.

Lord Paramount of the High Gardens. [Flower Knights pomf'ed: 140]
    Flower Knight Girl ID: 221329971 (DMM)
    Shiratsuyu-Girls:
    Shiratsuyu, Shigure, Murasame, Yuudachi, Harusame, Samidare, Umikaze, Yamakaze, Kawakaze, Suzukaze

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)
    @dandan550: My point is that while war certainly spurred aircraft development (along with a lot of other tech like RADAR), clearly there is a LOT of "civilian use" for aircraft, and thus a lot of aircraft development as well during times of peace. So maybe slower, but not that much slower. Even if WWI and WWII never happened in RL, I doubt we'd still be on bi-planes let alone no jet aircraft by today. This show doesn't have ANY planes (incl. seaplanes) in the world (if you have an I-Pad, I do not see why the girls wouldn't be aware of the existence of planes anywhere).

I understand ships being "reused", but that still doesn't match up - especially if there's reason for more emphasis on ship tech as the story suggests. Apart from what, 3 mothballed Iowa-class BB and museum ships, there are no USN WWII ships around in RL, and a LOT of WWII USN ships survived the war. The story's "explanation" doesn't hold water (pun intended) when you think about it. Far too much time has passed. Besides, clearly some upgrading was done because you don't see WWI ships around - right? IMO, the premise would work a LOT better if this show was set in 1950 or even 1960. Sorry, but IMO the mishmash of tech doesn't work well in this show as presented.

Last edited by goesto11; 04-21-2016 at 04:39 AM.