Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344
    IGN
    HydroKirby
    Rep
    Mentioned
    837 Post(s)
    @ofi123 If you romanize the name, does it obviously look like a non-Japanese name for a plant? Then use that.
    eg. ノ-スポール romanizing as Noosupooru is obviously North Pole.
    If you try to go above and beyond by assigning a different name, then you're falling into the same trap MrHueHue did.
    People with an inkling of Japanese comprehension are going to look up North Pole expecting that to be her name.

If it looks like a Japanese name for a plant with a non-Japanese name, we use the non-Japanese name.
    eg. If Nishikigi's name was written as ニシキギ and there was no official English name from the devs like from a gacha banner, we'd use Burning Bush since that's the most obvious English name for Nishikigi.

1 out of 0 members found this post helpful.

Newly Registered
    Rep
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ofi123 View Post
    May I know where did the translation of "North Pole" came from?
    Apparently it's a brand name that Sakata Seed Corporation markets that flower under. It became genericized a la tupperware and aspirin and now everyone calls it north pole.

Cineraria had something similar, people didn't like the original name because 死ねラリア so it started being marketed as サイネリア instead, which got stuck. Same with Blue Elfin, which is marketed under that name only in Japan (the rest of the world knows it as butterfly bush, hence her wings), and Apple of Sodom, which is called Foxface there. We've also got girls like Waterhyssop, Heartvine and this event's Channeled Heather who have part English, part Japanese names (水バコパ, ハート蔓, 蛇の目エリカ), I guess because naming foreign plants is not an exact science.

Though the best in this category is probably Royal Waterlily, which was called オオオニバス in reference to the Japan's viciously spiny gorgon waterlily/オニバス (鬼蓮, that's demon lotus right there)/Euryale ferox (even its binomial is metal). As it turns out, these two flowers are indeed each other's closest relatives, which would explain a thing about our own number three's behavior.

2 out of 0 members found this post helpful.

Rep
    Mentioned
    2674 Post(s)
    @HydroKirby

Oh so it's phonics. Guess I shouldn't have skip that part of google translate.

@jdoe

I see. Thanks.

Rep
    Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    The new UI update looks nice.

Also greta to see SD animations on the wiki!

GBF ID:11120651

FGK ID:529648257

Rep
    Mentioned
    2674 Post(s)
    https://flowerknight.fandom.com/wiki/Tatarian_Aster

Wait, is Aster an alt for Shion? Seeing Shion's comments makes it seem that the alternate forms part needs to be removed and the background needs to be edited if it's not.

IGN
    HydroKirby
    Rep
    Mentioned
    837 Post(s)
    @ofi123 I'd hope that it's obvious that she's not an alternate form. It's just a dumb bug in the alternate form-finding script. It's not like we hand-write the list of alternate characters.

Rep
    Mentioned
    2674 Post(s)
    @HydroKirby

Ah I see. Was confused since 1 has it while the other doesn't and have the comments about it.

Rep
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    With Nutaku axing FKG, the wiki wil probably remove the Nutaku names from the sites. Does this actually take long or can this be done with one simple action (like removing them all with one function)? And does this mean that the CharacterStat sheets need to be adjusted aswell (I know that if you edit a Flower knight's page, you have the option to add Nutaku names (unless this changed in the past year)?

IGN
    HydroKirby
    Rep
    Mentioned
    837 Post(s)
    @TribalNugget I won't remove those names until all Nutaku players are familiarized with the DMM (or rather, Wikia-chosen) names. And even then, I will not remove them from individual character pages because (a) we have the space for it, (b) removing information is not helpful, and (c) it'll show up in searches.

That said, I might consider taking them out of the lists of flower knights due to memory constraints. My goal is to have a more interactive list like with chart.js, but I think the load times will be pretty hefty with all the info involved.

1 out of 0 members found this post helpful.