Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Spring event will be starting on 2th May. Check here for more info.
Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @Komamisa sorry I never seen that manga ,but the summary reminds me of jormungand not sure if they are alike but check it out ,guess I cant help you more than that sorry

as for manga:

akame ga kiru
    koe no katachi
    itoshi no karin (only 12 chapters properly translated and probably left by the translators you are warned)
    girls of the wilds (not really a manga)
    NHK ni youkoso

nekogurui minako-san (lol jk)

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Currently, reading:
    Nisekoi
    The Breaker
    The Breaker : New Waves
    Zero Iris
    Sora No Otoshimono
    The Weapons peddler
    Ratman

IGN
    KradHunter
    Server
    Sukumo Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Iris zero
    I am a hero
    Pluto
    anything by Junji Ito

Gensui Kaigun Taisho (元帥海軍大将) Hynaio's Avatar
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Attachment 1274
    My follows on batoto (+-80% of what I read atm).
    In the squares: my 2 favorites.
    Underlinded: which I enjoy and would recommend.

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I really recommande Akame ga Kiru!

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Manga Recommendations Thread

Definitely read Psyren; it's one of the best shonen mangas out there. Plus its finished too!

Rep
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Code Geass
    Pandora Hearts
    All You Need Is Kill -> Created and ilustrated by Takeshi Obata (Death Note)
    Nisekoi
    Neon Genesis Evangelion: Shinji Ikari Rising Project
    Black Bullet -> I love the ilustration of this manga, but I don't want spoile me about the second season of this fabolous anime series.

Rep
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

I don't know about Gunslinger Girls for Komamisa's request, so I'll just put in my general recommendations in various categories.

Less shiny but warm Slice of Life goodness(some of them are more of comedies, but the slice of life was what hit me more):
    [+] Spoiler
    - Genshiken(Just Genshiken. Laid back otaku club life that I found very down to earth.)

- Sumire 16-sai!(Comedy is the guy doing absurd things as if it was normal type. Nice youth growing up story too.)

- Angel Densetsu(A bit of action and lots of delinquents, but this manga felt more slice of life than action. Selling point is the contrast between what it looks like and what's actually happening. Heartwarming and funny at the same time happens a lot. Art is bad, but gets more tolerable later on(though still not that good).)

- Jyoshikausei(Silent manga about cute girl doing silly things. Great reference for things to do when bored too.)

- Hinamatsuri(More absurd normal. I like this kind of comedy, okay? How their lives develop are hilarious, sad, and very well done.)

I want to mention more, but I'll stop here. I love this kind of slice of life.

Fun takes on the harem genre:
    [+] Spoiler
    - The World God Only Knows(Early point has short doses of varied romantic situations, and a guy that actually knows how to deal with them. Shows a different set of problems that would come up when the usual harem ones aren't a concern. Also a different take on "making everyone happy")

- Trinity Seven(fun protagonist that can rile up girls without being naive, and respond positively to fanservice without turning the series into a straight up hentai)

- Dragons Rioting(Not the best manga/manhwa, but guy is the avoid girls' advances type done in an extremely exaggerated way. Almost parody.)

Action with unique ways of fighting:
    [+] Spoiler
    - Ga-Rei(Fun weapons and wild cast of characters. I mean, where else would you find a steaming iron as a viable weapon against the undead?)

- Akame ga KILL(No one is guaranteed to live. No one.)

- Alive:The Final Evolution(Interesting use of powers, and how things develop)

- Vinland Saga(VIKINGS)

Episodic comedies I liked:
    [+] Spoiler
    - D-FRAG!(It is full of random, but author keeps the random consistent. Constantly brings back seemingly forgotten details. All characters are amazing, whether they're main, supporting, or one-time background characters(who won't be one-time for very long). Except Takao, who is super amazing.)

- Sket Dance(Absurd comedy and tsukkomi. Brings back a lot of one-time characters and details too. I think it's similar to Gintama too, but I haven't tackled that monster of a series yet to tell.)

- Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei(Twisted comedy series. A lot of dark humor taken lightly, and a lot of disturbing things when you think about minor details enough. So episodic, you can literally read it in any order, except the last few chapters.)

- Quick Start!!(4-koma about tabletop RPGs. That is all.)

- Doujin Work(if you know the "A cat is fine too" gag, this is the author that started it all.)

Unique enough problem-solving shounens:
    [+] Spoiler
    - Kekkaishi(Except a late series one, most progress in powers was by applying basic abilities in a unique way. There's only one thing that I'd consider the usual powerup, though even that can be considered unique application too.

- Double Arts(Pure support character that amplifies others' strength by touching them.)

- Mismarca Koukoku Monogatari(A coward who only gets by with his snake's tongue. It's all trickery and negotiation. Word has it that the LN part after the manga ends goes in a completely different direction too, but that's not translated.)

Wow, there are series that I liked mostly for the romance:
    [+] Spoiler
    - One Week Friends(So much diabetes. Just very cute and innocent.)

- Bonnouji(More mature cute and innocent. So casual, but the romantic developments are still great.)

- Bloody Cross(Very wicked with the tricking and taking advantage of each other, but still growing closer. I like the banter a lot. Rival romances are great.)

- Chihayafuru(Mostly Taichi's view. Also a great slice of life for a sports series. The romantic tension on the side is really great. Anime is also very refreshing to watch somehow.)

- Horimiya(Kind of like Switch Girl with the secret selves that only each other knows but easier to take seriously, so the romance shines more than the comedy at times.)

Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There is only...

PRUNUS GIRL.

planetarian status: coming out on September 12
    Pls to be buying planetarian. It is a great, sad story.

Rep
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)

"Blade of the Immortal" by Hiroaki Samura

I started following it when I was first stationed on Okinawa. It started being released in the 1990s and finished around 2007 or 2008. I've read into many mangas over the course of the years, but of all of them that had any sort of lengthy run, this series was the only one I tried hard to follow or catch up to.