Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Fall event Maint will start on 17th Nov. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      New Forum "Azur Lane" has been added to User Suggested Forums
Bookmark Thread
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Fall 2016 Anime

IGN
    Nanaya
    Server
    Saiki Bay
    Rep
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    @Leyana

Yeah, usually I prefer the sarcastic and/or deadpan type too. I guess I just liked Hikari as a character, and I think the show did a pretty good job overall by not letting her pull some deus ex machina just by trying hard enough.

Marriage Anniversary: October, 2nd

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)
    @Leyana Wow! You watched a lot of shows! Thanks for posting your thoughts. Watched only a few myself last season (not all that unusual). Couple comments on what you posted. Personally, I'd move both Izetta and Brave Witches into the "Worth a watch" category. That being said, Kanno & Nipa (though <3 Nipa) were nowhere near the comedic gold of Barkhorn & Hartmann IMO. Not even close. In general, I didn't think BW was as funny as SW S1 or S2 for that matter. :/ As for Drifters, that was more of a good & bad split show than Hellsing OVA/Ultimate was for me (just to be clear, I do like Hellsing OVA/Ultimate quite a bit). Hellsing "comedy" was very hit/miss for me, but Drifters was almost all miss. Drifters definitely had some good to very good moments, but other times... skip!

@Nrvn: Disagree about the 502nd characters being as good as the 501st. I will say that by the end, the 502nd grew on me more than I initially thought so I did find the ending was a bit heart-warming even if cliche'. I didn't really hate any character (though Krupinski was still very meh by the end), but if I go character by character, definitely doesn't match up with SW (incl. the movie. I liked Hattori Shizuka a lot).

Yoshika having tons of innate "mana" didn't bother me. Even with that, she did work/train considerably (both seasons). Her deal was not only learning to use her huge mana reserve properly, but also coming to grips with the necessity of fighting/war. JMO, but Yoshika has more "personality" if you will than Hikari. Certainly more funny moments. Hikari wasn't bad, but liked Yoshika better. I totally get why they put in Hikari's "low mana" trait to help further distinguish her from Yoshika (she's like Yoshika in being the earnest type, but kind of "anti-Yoshika" in that she has "low magic power" and is raring to get into battle). I get that she trained to use her magic more efficiently, but honestly I still felt her "low mana" trait was a bit too plot dependent/inconsistent at times.

As for the "trying hard enough", well that was Hikari's entire story wasn't it? She kept trying and trying and going her best until she overcame her "low mana" (she had plenty for the final battle though) until she proved to be a contributing member of the 502nd. IMO, Hikari is as much if not more (more IMO) of a "try hard/do your best" character than Yoshika (both are really, but welcome to anime for that). As for deus ex, yeah not really, but I do wonder where she learned the "magic bullet" trick and also, no low mana issue. There was quite a bit of plot convenience IMO for the final battle. Everything they needed was easily and quickly found. Frankly, I'm still amazed that Hikari could simply RUN to the battle area that fast (they couldn't even see the batte in the sky from the train - right), but whatever.

For me, Brave Witches was pretty good/good enough, but not up to SW S1 or even S2 (or the movie for that matter). Characters were not as good, character development (other than Kanno) wasn't as good. Even just character background/fleshing out was weaker IMO. It wasn't as efficient with it's time along with greater focus on Hikari (and by extension Kanno & Nipa though we didn't get much for Nipa really). Commander Rall was just there for the most part.

Visual quality was better than SW S1, but that's a pretty low bar. OTOH, there were times when I though "holy CGI!!" Just cover the screen in CGI explosions which didn't make for a great battle visually. Comedy was something I missed from SW as well. There were a few cute/funny moments (did like the whole "Break Witches" thing), but definitely not up to par with SW. Wasn't ecchi either (e.g bath scenes), but YMMV on that like any ecchi show.

Bottom line for me is that it wasn't as good as I hoped and I'd rather have Suomus Misfits Squadron, BUT they didn't' screw it up. That's an honest compliment (and relief). Happened before with other series I like. Wasn't much for me last season so glad to have BW. Now bring on Suomus Misfits Squadron!

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4753 Post(s)
    @goesto11 I try to watch every show in a season. But yeah Kano/Nipa wasn't as good as Gertud/Erica but still there. SW S2 is still the lowest point in the whole franchise for me.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)
    @Leyana; Reason I put SW S2 slightly above BW is that SW S2 simply had more highs (along with the lows) than BW. BW was pretty consistent, but never had many high points for me. There were at least a couple (maybe more) episodes in SW S2 that I outright enjoyed. BW was a much more stead "OK to pretty good" ride. Honestly, the term "flat" comes to mind a bit when thinking of BW compared to SW.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4753 Post(s)
    @goesto11 It was more because SW2 felt more pointless and empty and just slice of life shenanigans.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)
    @Leyana: That's a fair point. It was definitely more episodic and not all episodes revolved around getting rid of the Romania nest. Still, that cuts both ways for me because while episode 3 (which did kind of tie in as a "throw in a (more) training episode) was one (maybe the) weakest, the episode with Hanna was good IMO. Enjoyed that one quite a bit even if the mission was some random, seemingly unconnected one to the main threat.

IGN
    Nanaya
    Server
    Saiki Bay
    Rep
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    @goesto11

Yeah, I agree that the final ep of BW had its fair share of plot convenience (besides Hikari running to the battlefield, I can understand salvaging the shattered AP shell shard, but how did they locate the HE shell shard that was shot through the nest in so little time...).
    About the visuals, what irked me a bit were the character models drawn in CG during battles, and they were very noticeable too. I would have liked traditional drawn characters to keep the art consistent, and maybe use CGs for objects and explosions (something like what Girls und Panzer did).
    I did like the fact that Neuroi have tactics too, and are not just the flying fortresses shown in the previous series. The infiltrator/spotter Neuroi was a smart idea :D

As for the characters, I think it's more of a personal preference, both series had characters I found somewhat "meh" and others I really liked, so overall they're pretty even for me. They could have developed more some characters for sure (Rall, Georgette and Shimohara come to mind), but hey, who knows, maybe they'll do a S2? :D They did leave open the possibility for a sequel with how the series ended after all.

In the end for my personal ratings I'll agree with Leyana and put BW between SW S1 and S2 too. SW S1 was my gateway to the franchise and everything felt more "fresh", while SW S2 dragged a bit with "filler" episodes. I'd put the highest point of the franchise with the Victory Arrow OVAs and the movie though, I think they had the best character presentation/development, giving screentime to everyone, along with a solid plot.

Marriage Anniversary: October, 2nd