Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      The 18th Oct Maint has ended. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      Visitor messaging is temporarily disabled.
Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    IGN
    Emerald Acid
    Server
    Rabaul Naval Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    8286 Post(s)
    @ElleRosewood Suddenly, double chapter! =D

I always pull my weight. I just happen to be made of helium.
    ~
    Ryuujou & Iku Anniversary 9/28/15 | Uranami Anniversary 3/1/17 | Fubuki Anniversary 4/24/17 | Akebono Anniversary 7/1/17 | Shimakaze Anniversary 5/4/16~
    Admiral Anniversary: 5/25 | I wrote a thing. Updated! (9/12)

IGN
    Elle Rose
    Server
    Tawi Tawi Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    @Emerald Acid I actually thought I've posted the first one a few weeks ago. :D But, hey Suzuya's about to get her Kai Ni (not in here though, she's totally against combat now.) so I guess that's something to celebrate about. Hurray.

IGN
    Elle Rose
    Server
    Tawi Tawi Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Chapter 43: Confrontation

I slid down to a formal sitting position opposite Suzuya's excessively casual seating on the long couch. How the authority shifted while I was gone wasn't hard to predict. Granted that after my elder sisters Takao and Atago moved out of the dormitory... it was for an exchange program, training purposes as I've been told. Maya, being the older one between us should take authority. However that doesn't hold given her role in the anchorage. Now it all comes to this situation, as I've been knocked out cold for the past few weeks, Suzuya's got control of the place and she really does flaunt it around.

Taking up the whole of the long couch's space, Suzuya rested her feet up on the arm rests as she began. "Ya know, everyone's doing this the wrong way." She began, checking out her nails as she went. "You're smart, yeah? No one can really force us to fight out there y'know. So what gives?"

I don't like that tone. It hits the right nerves on many different ways I refuse to accept. Have I always been this hateful? I guess so. My fist took contact with the centerpiece table separating the two of us. Her reaction was merely a glance to the side. "We'd all be dead if we don't fight back! Up until now we haven't got a slight clue how the abyssals think but..."

"Up until now!?"

"I'm saying I've figured something out." Cold sweat raced down from my forehead, Suzuya caught wind of something from that and she's now on my case. In an attempt to belay the prying, I sat back down to control the tension. "I don't ask that you participate in it, but kindly just stay out of my business."

At this time, Kumano, who had been coerced to stay and prepare drinks for us emerged from the kitchen. After weaving the bead curtains leading to the living room, she calmly put the glasses down and sat at the other vacant seat. We took the time to pause for a bit to thank her, take a sip, and then return to our discussion.

"It's pretty hard to trust someone with such homicidal tendencies so ya better just step down!" And now she's up, pointing down at the floor to emphasize the whole step down idea.

Involuntarily, I found myself taking a stand too for my reply. "I'm making up for it!"

"Y'know y'all do us a favor if y'all just go live life somewhere!" Suzuya sighed, shaking her head in disappointment. "Suzuya had her hopes up that people would take that Hatsushimoneta's ideas seriously, but she's just in to dirty jokes it seems."

"Suzuya, you seem to be furthering your advocacies quite aggressively lately." Kumano entered the conversation after a dainty sip on the cup she had in front. Why we were given normal glasses I'd let slip for now. I don't have the energy to point out every little idiotic act I stumble upon.

Puffing her chest out with confidence, Suzuya lightened up a bit. "Oooh, looks like you've noticed. Well well, it's because the stuff Suzuya's pointing out has already been proven y'know."

"My, that sounds like fantastic news!" with a soft smile on her face, Kumano slowly stood up to give applause. "You wouldn't be troubled if I go over down to the Anchorage to tell everyone about it wouldn't you? I bet they would heap tons of praise on you! Aren't you the lucky one?"

There's about a good ninety percent chance that Kumano's playing Suzuya's love of getting praised as a get out of predicament ticket. To be honest, I would like it the conversation continued with just Suzuya.

"Sounds good! You should totally do that!" With a content look on her face, she dropped back onto the long couch and gave a thumbs up to Kumano. The latter of which wasted no time to leave. I kept track of whether the door has finally closed to casually mention what had just happened, "You do realize that you've just been played?"

Suzuya's eyes dimmed a bit as she pouts, "Ugh... don'tcha just love raining down on other people's parades."

"The feeling is mutual. Now, if you'll excuse me."

Before I left for the stairs, I caught one last glimpse of Suzuya. There was that stern, pissed-off look all over it. In the end, we couldn't settle our differences. As I pulled away from sun-bathed living room, I kept into mind that she might've found some truth to reason sitting out of the war... just as I've found a renewed reason to continue it.

Unlike the naturally lit room I had been earlier, the staircase towards the second floor was a claustrophobic mess. It was reminiscent of the actual inside of a warship. Cramped and illuminated barely enough. Perhaps just the way our eldest sister wanted it to be, she was a one of those no nonsense types. Upon peeking out the floor, the first door to greet me was that of my old room. Before leaving, I should definitely retrieve some of my important possessions.

Now, that would be the plan for later. I paced up and headed over to the heavy hatch-like door beyond the doors leading to our rooms. With a clank, I turned the handle and gently pushed it open to be greeted by the sun's glare. For quite a bit, my vision was obscured but as my eyes adjusted I've stumbled upon something rather shocking.

To be honest, I've sort of had the feeling it would turn out this way. At first there was this really feminine shriek and then that slowly turned rough and aggressive.

"Eeeeekkk... Geeehhh!?"

"Maya..."

"The hell!? What's with those pitying eyes!?"

Maya recoiled a bit but quickly turned to shaking her fist at me. It was hard to take her seriously all dolled up like that. She hadn't cut her hair short this past month it seems, couple that with the lace parasol over a tea table, a red and black frilly dress, and some three stuffed animals seated up on the chairs. I had to question whether it really was her or someone parading as her.

As it stands, I can't even look her directly in the eye that I had to let mine wander around. Though it was reassuring that she keeps her post with the base's anti-air defense guns seriously, "Fancy place we've got here..."

Quick to cut in, she raised her voice as it accompanied the sound of clothes getting ripped.

"Hey! Choukai, don't blab about this to the others dammit!"

"Did you seriously rip off your clothes!?" I tried to stop her, but she acts too much on impulse that it was far too late. "That looks expensive why did you..."

She rustled her hair up in frustration as I brought the topic of price. Her face was beet red as she kept on kicking the scraps from the dress underneath the table. "Aw man... can this day get any worse... sheesh..."

"I didn't mean to... Don't be upset, I'll make sure to keep this a secret until the day you're comfortable about discussing it with everyone."

She glared sharply at me after settling down on the tea table chair all the while stripped down to her undergarments, "Don't joke with me. I... I spent a year's worth of savings for that... Seriously, just don't talk about this ever happening dammit! I don't want to spend this second shot in life as a turret; I've got a life outside this whole abyssal thing even if it was in secret."

"What was that again!?" I rushed beside Maya and shook her to repeat what she said. "What was that last part again!?"

"Geeh? What's got you riled up for?" she replies, uncharacteristically shrinking from my gaze, "I just said, I've got a life outside this whole abyssal thing..."

"I got it, thank you Maya. You're awesome as always."

Letting Maya go, I bowed to thank her and rushed down out the dorms. This left her extremely confused, I'm about a hundred percent sure of it.

IGN
    Elle Rose
    Server
    Tawi Tawi Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Chapter 44: Turnabout

"Commander, communications during the operation suddenly got c..."

Ooyodo's surprised gasp as she cut her sentence was enough of a mirror to reflect the sorry state I am in right now. I could feel the insidious heat of this tropical island adding to my misery. I stumbled clumsily into the office. Ooyodo rushed over to help. Somewhere along that sequence, I think I hit my head on the door... I don't know... my vision's all blurry from all the rage I've blown through recently.

"Why can't you always be like this? Huh?"

The words just left my mouth. Nary a single iota of thought put into it. You can say that I was drunk from rage and Ooyodo's reply was heralded by a subtle twitch from her left eye, "Commander, I would've if you were Choukai. Sadly, the poor sod that's registering in my eyes at the moment is someone who's already down just after about two or three lost loved ones."

I clenched my fists to argue, "How many years did you think I've spent with them!?"

A falling sensation snapped me out of my tirade. Ooyodo had dropped me on the floor, her eyes sharp like daggers, head held high, and shadows darkened what was behind her glasses. "Commander, you sound just like the light cruisers you allowed to transfer out from when Isuzu was lost at sea."

Utterly destroyed, I slowly slid up to sit. "Let's just say I might've been just as spoiled as you lot... He seems quite the jolly person after all..."

"Commander, I have no choice but to notice this mention of a He. Who might you be referring to?"

Propping the glasses as I looked up to her, she was quick to catch the drift. I gave her a wry smile to express my disgust, "Ryuuichi."

"Commander, if you are baiting a response from that name then you have just earned it. Let us just assume that if you are going against him then I will do whatever dirty trick I have in my book to support your decision."

For a second I've caught a glimpse of her in such thrilled intensity that it looked almost crazed. I felt a chill up my spine, and it was a good chill.

The anchorage honored my request to be left alone for a while. During this isolation, I checked out information recovered from the Abyssal Research Center. Though not enough to paint the whole picture, that would require getting a hold of the Professor, it was enough to lead us into a direction. That direction spurred the current gathering of the fleet all-strewn about wherever they feel like at the Anchorage's grounds.

Atop the office balcony, I revealed my identity to the remainder of my wards. A few curious whispers here and there like buzzing bees began the meeting but mellowed down as I began to speak. "We're breaking off from the navy effective today."

Making sure to pause just after that, I scanned for any reactions. To which there are none. Fair enough, I tell myself as I continued. "I've decided I'd go nurture all these abnormalities... the exact personalities that the one I'm up against started in the first place. As I believe that if there was any way to stop him, it had to be by the ones he once considered his fleet."

From behind, Yuubari interjects as she arrived along with Akashi. "Ah! wai-... are you referring to the Admiral!?'

Conversations start to drum up down on the fields. I quickly faced a surprised Yuubari and confirmed her guess. "Anyone who's not up to the task can stay in the anchorage. I won't be forcing anyone to participate."

Beaming widely, Akashi walks up and pats me in the back. "Now... this is progress! Phew... that's good for you Commander. Looking forward to working with you even more."

She hits with such force that I was caught off guard and nearly smacked face first into the floor of the balcony. How do I put it... she seems to be a wee bit extra hardy compared to the others... suspiciously so, as for a while back I did notice she had no records prior to being assigned here.

Standing back up, clearing my throat, I acknowledged the gesture and got back to the announcement. "I won't stall for time; we're officially resuming operations starting today! I'm pretty sure some of you might hate me even before this actual announcement, but please hear me out..."

"Hmmhmm! I've hated you ever since I saw you, didn't I tell you that!?"

The silence preceding those words made it pretty easy to pinpoint who that was. Lowering my head and with a long drawn-out sigh, I acknowledged the other half of the headache duo. "Aren't I glad it's Kiyoshimo?"

Of course that'd prompt some hyperactive punching into the air followed by raging outbursts. "Hey, what's that, why are you stealing my lines! Hey! Hey!"

Ignoring Kiyoshimo's shenanigans, I turned to my right where Choukai stood in attendance. "Do the honors please."

She salutes back and began to lower the previous commanding officer's flag from the pole. There's no need to keep it flying halfway up there.

Chapter 45: What lies deep inside

"With this, I'll be able to protect everyone again."

Those were the first words I could remember leaving this mouth of mine. The first memory I made as Hatsushimo, the fleet girl. All other memories are that of the ship, a necessary setup... one that ensures the fleet girl stays the same.

Now that I've returned to Kure, I should be surrounded by warmth... that's how it was supposed to be. As the last few weeks have been nothing but bitter. However, here I am... eyes wide open in the middle of the night, sweating profusely as I snapped back from the recurring nightmare of Nagamon's demise. It was lucky that no one else was sleeping inside the room or I might've woken them up too. It was lucky that the bunk bed only had me as its spacer ever since.

Plunging my face into my open palms, I cried. Losing a friend you've considered nearly like family takes its toll, but that was the nature of our situation and I should've gotten over it by now. No, the sadness stems from something deeper. I believe it's a memory not shared with any other Hatsushimo, a unique experience... something before that memory of my first few words.

Unable to sleep the night away and dare remember what that deeper memory was, I decided to train. I did my drills for hours until Fubuki, Mutsuki, and Yuudachi waded into the water to sneak in some training of their own before the Heavy Cruisers begin classes inside the lovely red brick building that serve as the naval academy.

Smoothly, they glided through the calm waters to greet me. Fubuki waved, the glimmer from the ring on her finger caused me to flinch. "Hatsushimo-chan let's do our best again today!"

I replied meekly while nodding. "Yeah, let's do our best!"

She nods back as she took command. "Diamond formation! Machineguns ready!"

Her close friends waved back at me too as they passed by on their way to their positions; Fubuki in front, Mutsuki and Yuudachi on both sides, while I took the rear guard.

"Anti-air barrage! Go!"

We repeated her words to confirm the signal and let loose with the training rounds. As the repeated firing sound fills the air, reminiscent of the assault rifle fire leading to Nagamon's death, it made me remember vividly that dormant memory in mind and caused my heart much distress.

The darkness of night proved to be brilliant cover as we skulked around and tailed a rather unique abyssal vessel. It wasn't humongous; in fact it looked smaller than the whale shaped ones that had popped up recently. Aside from that size, it also kept some form of lantern growing atop its head that it refuses to turn off even while traversing the oceans at night.

"Squad, we've destroyed the tiny vessels forming up at the shores of the neighboring country. Fleet command believes that these creatures of the abyss have finally established a base of operations in our own country! This operation makes or breaks our chances of surviving this menace cropping up all over the world."

Clutching the lone 12 cm provided to us destroyers, we were briefed to protect Nagato at all costs. As flagship, she carried the brunt of the force and losing her in battle would near immediately spell doom for us. In unison, we shouted back our battle cry.

"Uryaaahh!!!"

Like bandits springing out from the darkness, we quickly formed a ring to put the abyssal in a contained zone. The battle cry had put it into panic and it started flashing the lantern faster as if calling for help.

"We can't let it call for reinforcements! Cripple it down and pass coordinates!"

We aimed at the legs protruding behind the whale-like shape. A few shots in, the waters around it turned black, as a disgusting fluid with the consistency of tar bled out. The creature waded around shortly, splashing for dear life before finally turning over. A resounding blast from the large cannons that Nagato carried punched a hole through it like a hand through a paper screen.

I sighed in relief. The others, their faces blurry from my vision, were jumping up and down in a celebratory mood. Nagato approached us for one big hug, the warmth of which reminds me of home. "Mission accomplished, not enough to fire us up but that's all in a day's work! Let's escape before..."

Before we could leave, an ominous red fog rolled over at an alarming rate. Nagato let us out from her embrace and about four other destroyers including myself circled around our flagship. Do not panic. I rang repeatedly inside my head. Everything will be fine.

Like ghosts passing through the walls of the real and unreal, a bunch of four larger vessels emerged, three covered in a ghastly golden aura, with one heading the charge shrouded in ghastly blue. They fired off into the sky and at the height of the shot, the shells exploded brightened up the darkness like a second sun. A continuous stream of bright light also beamed out from their red blood-shot eyes, each of which converged to focus a single target... Nagato.

"They're after Nagato-san! Get ready to fire!"

Everything went by quickly. Each of us destroyers held our ground and began lobbing shells at the horrors of flesh and steel but they were astoundingly fast. They cut through our defenses, weaving in and out of the gaps with no difficulty as they headed directly for Nagato.

They peppered Nagato's armor with small caliber guns protruding from their mouths. While the armor was more than enough to withstand the blows, Nagato's cannons were too slow to effectively blow them out of the water.

Our time to shine has arrived, but as I charged in, I noticed halfway that no one else was following suit. "Everyone! We must protect Nagato-san!"

As it appears, the one shrouded in blue flames had been chasing them all away from position. A growth of rotating steel barrels on its forehead was shredding my comrades like paper. It was a veritable curtain of bullets, much too condensed to dodge. I couldn't possibly convince them to stay and fend off for Nagato. Alas they were already too far off to be of any help. So with I confronted the enemy ace, hoping to change anything.

We circled each other; I can feel that we were both measuring each other's capabilities. It was a stand-still. Only, the other enemy vessels were finally making progress on beating Nagato down. Her cries of frustration gave me an opening to shoot. With the sound of cylinders loading, I pulled on the trigger. It hadn't been long after my shell left the barrel that it exploded a few feet in front of me. A near fine mist of bullets from the enemy ace's rotating barrels shot down a projectile the size of a pen. As unbelievable it may sound, it was at that moment that I knew we were outclassed.

"Ah! If I am to be given another chance, I wouldn't want to feel as powerless as I am right now!"

Abandoning my 12 cm gun, I rushed the other vessels swarming Nagato and started to trash against them with punches and kicks. That should be plenty of a distraction to allow Nagato to slip away. Without hesitation, she took that chance... saluting as she goes. "Hatsushimo, I highly appreciate your efforts. Rest assured they will not be in vain."

"It was enough that I have protected everyone."

The creatures glares shifted, then back to Nagato. How do I put this... they were a bit disappointed? Left for dead, they took their time circling me. But death did not come for me quickly as the excruciating pain of solid steel piercing through my flesh had me growl in pain. No explosion followed and it had me looking down to see darkened steel harpoons sticking through and through all over my limbs. Flesh-like appendages connected the sharpened steel to them and I was slowly dragged away. Along that time, my consciousness melded back into the present with Fubuki and company surrounding me.

My head was rested atop Yuudachi's lap as Mutsuki held my hands. Fubuki was trying to snap me back in as she shook me. I was still mildly influenced by that sudden gush of memories; I forgot that the scenario was different for my current self. "Did Nagamon return!?"

Their shocked faces as I yelled those words were ripe with pity. I turned to each one of them and they simply avoided. I sat up, frustrated from their behavior and repeated the question. "Was my distraction enough to let her escape!?"

Her voice cracking from the crushing feeling of loss, Mutsuki answered. "Nagamon's gone... It's been a week since her funeral."

IGN
    Elle Rose
    Server
    Tawi Tawi Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Chapter 46: Academy Graduation

I had to be taken out. That's the ending I've reached as I cannot remember anything else that happened between Mutsuki's tearful delivery of the truth I've been desperate to not believe... and my waking up inside my Admiral's war room. Aaahhh, my legs feel so numb for some reason. Might be because of the large slabs of polished stone they stacked up on my lap.

"A... Admiral! Am I being punished!?" I muttered, raising my head towards the elevated floor where his seat was obscured by heavy, red curtains with golden trimmings. "I can't just sit around when the fleet is in danger!"

In his characteristic loud booming voice he answered my question, "Hold up my little guardian of fleets! This is in no way a form of punishment! Yes!"

The emphasis on the word "Yes" was accentuated when a towering lady in really skimpy white and black entered in from the heavy steel door to the left. That short brown hair and snail-like antenna hairband was distinctive. I'm sure no one else would want to copy it.

She barges in and places the anchor on top the pile on my lap as she continued the explanation for the Admiral. "Ara, ara, ara. Hatsushimo, you have Onee-san's gratitude but if anyone here should be sad it should be me. After all, Nagato was mine."

Tapping the tip of my nose agitated it and had me sneeze out. The room, hidden underneath the naval academy caused the sound to echo all over. Not to mention that icky feeling as snot slowly drips down. I caught a cold, perhaps from staying knocked out in a chilly stone floor while wet all over from sea water. Now that I've had a reason to wipe off something from my face, and with some of my senses slowly returning, I noticed that my hands were also tied to my back.

"We mustn't let what happened to Nagamon to happen again!" I barked back, trying to appeal to reason.

Mutsu turned to face the curtains up top, "Hmm? Admiral?"

"So foolish, to repeat the tragedy!"

He shouted that out in a sing-song-ey-esque kind of tone. I raised my voice once more, "Admiral! Please allow me! Allow this Hatsushimo to exact justice!"

To our surprise, the curtains swung open and the Admiral stood atop us with that T-shaped head? Headgear? Whatever it was, held high. About a minute passed in silence before he looked upon us and delivered his command. "Your valiant request would not go unnoticed! But first, you must show me your resolve! Only then shall you graduate!"

Unlike common gear, the equipment modified by Akashi from Tawi-tawi was incompatible with Kure's equipment system. The Admiral is known for doing everything with unbound energy and extravagance so refitting includes some elaborate sequence. I don't have to go through that this time; I simply fit the guns and rigging like I would clothes. Once everything was in place, the sound of machinery started to churn. That was my signal to get on the sally port's slide.

"Preparations complete! Hatsushimo, sortieing!"

Tiny fairies abound on the guns and rigging gave their salute as the hooks were released and we started to slide down the chute. "Let's brace ourselves and do our best!"

Slowly, the huge gate was drawn up to reveal the Admiral waiting silently in the distance. The water around him was still. The waves break and become tranquil as they approached him. There's a weird sensation of nervousness creeping up inside of me as I got closer to him. There was an air of authority. Granted he was my admiral... but this more intimidating.

I couldn't read any emotion from behind the letter T, that was his head, but for some reason I knew he was smiling. It was a smile filled with confidence and I tried to match it as I pulled to float along the waves. "A-admiral, I would not hold back!"

"As you should! For I shall not hold back even one bit!"

Clenching his fist, he punched straight towards my direction and I don't know if I'm seeing things... but a fist-shaped flame roared towards me and passed over my shoulder. Going into stance, he gestures for me to attack. "Will you be tempered by my flames? Or would you melt? Let us see!"

With a kick, I jet to the right and started running adjacent to his charge. He wasn't wearing any rigging. He shouldn't be able to use them too either way but he was effectively floating atop the water. After jetting away with the other one, I turned mid-air to see if he was following close by. Surprisingly, he was about just a few meters behind me. Luckily the jump jets created a bit of a gap.

"Ah... Now I wonder why Shimakaze's a lot better doing that running technique... Leg length."

Clicking on the trigger, I launched a practice round in mid-air. An attack he simply swiped away with the back of his hand with one fluid motion.

"Practice rounds lack the weight to propel themselves at a respectable speed! You have better chances of hitting me if you used a bat!"

"Fairies! Lower the depth charge rails! 2 seconds on release!"

Turning my back on the Admiral, I trailed a trio of depth charges to stop him dead on his track. The explosion might just be composed of air bursts but it should be enough to make a wall of water to hinder his sight for a moment. My signal to brake suddenly was the third explosion that chained off in very quick succession. Pulling on both jump jet triggers, I canceled out the forward movement, released one of the torpedoes strapped to my right thigh, grabbed it with both hands, and then ducked down waiting for him to pass through.

He calls out as he brute forces his way through the wall of water. "If you think you could keep distance with this! You are badly mistaken!"

The moment the mist from the blasts cleared out, I was already behind him swinging the practice torpedo like a melee weapon. "Then I shall hit you with a bat! Watch this!"

Clang! It sounded like steel hitting a solid wall. A golden aura that leapt around like flames surrounded him and in the short moment before the makeshift bat explodes with a blast of air... I could see that it bent against his body. Of course, I was blown away and sent rolling all over the surface of the water. A few of the fairies were even thrown overboard, so I have to collect them later.

Using the jump jets to get airborne, I rectified my position and entered a defensive stance. There was no other thing to expect but a counter attack. Though strangely, he simply sunk into the water and started to wade about while laughing. "That's it! I don't know what he did but you've learned a few tricks! Your resolve was sufficient enough that you'd swing an explosive just to accomplish your goal! That's amazing... and terrifying at the same time!"

I understand what he's saying, but I fail to see the point of it. "I won then? Was that enough to convince you Admiral?"

Slowly, I cruised to the Admiral. As I got near, he held my hands with a burning passion. "More than enough; I can rest well knowing that I passed it on to you! Before you leave, learn what I shall teach you by heart! Once you do, you shall transform that resolve into that of an unbreakable spirit enough to withstand anything that may be thrown against you!"

IGN
    Emerald Acid
    Server
    Rabaul Naval Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    8286 Post(s)
    T-Head Admiral is a Super Saiyan?

~
    Ryuujou & Iku Anniversary 9/28/15 | Uranami Anniversary 3/1/17 | Fubuki Anniversary 4/24/17 | Akebono Anniversary 7/1/17 | Shimakaze Anniversary 5/4/16~

IGN
    Elle Rose
    Server
    Tawi Tawi Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    He has the unique ability to break the morale limit and can infinite spam mamiya and irako items on himself. As a result of his morale boosting up to an insane level, he gains bullshit powers akin to what Vegeta calls... "A SUPER SAIYAN." Going by this, we can say that power levels are OVER 9000.

Though on a slightly serious note, might be some form of magical abilities combined with martial arts. (Oh wait, that's still a super saiyan...)

IGN
    Elle Rose
    Server
    Tawi Tawi Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Chapter 47: Reconnaissance

"You are unfettered! Unshackled! Go forth with my blessings! You are your own master!"

I can't help but repeat the Admiral's words when he gave me permission to operate on my own. Even the lonely nighttime ocean couldn't hamper the burning sensation. I felt reborn! Baptized in fire! I believe I can protect everyone better now and this made me want to go back to Tawi-Tawi as fast as I could.

In no time, I was halfway from Kure just by using the air jets installed by Akashi. I barely noticed that I'm already at the place where I began my first sortie for Tawi-Tawi. Though, instead of a vast, empty ocean tossing me around with its waves... I stumbled upon a pair of fleetgirls rushing as they were led by a reconnaissance seaplane flying at max speed, seemingly in a hurry. To my surprise, the rigging's communications whirred up and caught their conversation.

"But you're violating the Commander's orders though!"

"It's not like I'm bored! I'm not! Okay!? It's just because there's a need for immediate response!"

From what I heard, it seems not a lot's changed. They're still doing whatever it is they feel like doing. As the conversation continued, they start to mention something interesting so decided to approach. If I am not mistaken, the one that sounds like she'll die if they ever were caught is Abukuma.

"If it's me... I don't think it's OK like this. Umm, it's strange that Isuzu's plane would go to us directly instead of back to the Arsenal first..."

"Idiot! Don't worry too much or it wouldn't be fine! As I told you it's a request for an immediate rescue!"

"Rescue!?" I nearly dropped my guns at the mention! If someone was in danger then I cannot let this go! I must help them!

My voice suddenly getting picked up by the communications device sent them into a state of panic. Abukuma turned on her spotlight and started to sweep the area for the source of the sudden intrusion. They still continued bickering over the communications channel.

"Idiot! Did someone else follow us?"

"Moving undetected should be a specialty of mine... I don't think someone followed us from the anchorage."

"Whoever you are, if you have access to this channel then you're from Tawi-Tawi or else..."

There seems to be a condition there? Was there anyone else with access to Tawi-Tawi's stuff? Oh, wait. They might've been talking about me! So I kicked up the engines and ran full speed towards them. Of course, I had to introduce myself so the tensed up companion of Abukuma wouldn't shoot me down on sight.

"It's me Hatsushimoneta! I was on my way back to Tawi-Tawi when communications caught your conversation."

"Geez. That doesn't sound OK at all..."

It didn't take long before I saw them clearly and no wonder I didn't recognize them from afar. Abukuma's sporting a new black uniform with grey and light brown parts. While the other one with her is the Isuzu sent to Tawi-tawi for retraining. I greeted with a wave, but strangely enough, Abukuma looked a bit weary. As she turned off the spotlight, she kept her distance.

"Aa, Abukuma. Is there something wrong?" I asked; weary that I might have done something before I left for Kure.

The whole conversation, she was awkwardly trying to avoid eye contact and was tending to a black and white cat hanging by her shoulders. "Huh, no way, me?! I'm definitely OK!"

She was definitely not okay... her aversion to taking direct contact with me throws the whole deal away. I can't know for sure unless she tells me about it herself and Isuzu doesn't seem to notice this. She was fixated on the plane circling around in a panic.

"We don't have time for this you two. Save it for later or do you want me to shoot the both of you?"

Setting that matter for later, we followed the seaplane. Eventually we arrived at a bunch of rocky islets scattered about. There was a chilling mist slowly creeping in. Unhindered by this mist, our guide continued without slowing down and expertly dodges the rocks that were increasingly getting taller the further we go.

Ever the worry-wart, Abukuma comments on the situation. "Geez! My hair would get frizzy from all this mist and that never an OK thing!"

Isuzu ignored the comment, increasing her cruising speed as the mist started hindering visibility. "If you have time to complain then you have time to hurry up!"

I went ahead before she could leave our sight and insisted she slow down for a while. "Shouldn't we be planning ahead? We are getting a bit reckless right now and I don't see why the ones calling for help would be laughing so much..."

"What do you mean laughing!?" Isuzu immediately raised up the rifle-like gun mount she had on a strap and turned vigilant. We also drew our guns as the winds have suspiciously stopped. The sound of the waves crashing into the rocks seemed to have masked the child-like laughter that's now only getting stronger.

"Don't try to squeeze out an apology from me." Isuzu snapped, cold sweat dripping from the side of her face. "I got distracted by the idea of proving myself... I've lost sight of the situation. Come to think of it... that recon plane's fairy hadn't even shown itself ever since it flew back and requested assistance."

From the front, a bunch of half-pint abyssals with horned helmets flung torpedoes nearly as large as they are at us. Before I could act, Isuzu moved forward and pushed me back with her left arm. "No way am I letting those through!"

Firing in bursts of three, she open fired on the incoming torpedoes and managed to destroy five out of the six tubes of explosive death skipping towards us at high speed. I tried carrying her up into the air with the combined lift of both jump jets but it wasn't capable of carrying the entire extra load.

"I'm sorry! I'll just have to take them out before they can do any further damage!" Letting go, I vaulted over as the lone surviving torpedo took contact and dealt moderate damage to Isuzu.

"Engines are still fine!" She called out as the smoke cleared out. Her torpedo launchers got totaled, it was perhaps by a stroke of luck that she didn't load them for tonight. "Only the equipment on the surface's damaged. I think the depth charge projector's still functional."

Streaking in front behind, Abukuma's launched a pair of midget submarines to assist as she maintained a safe distance. "Everyone, don't go moving forward yet!"

Isuzu's reply to the suggestion was the sound of reloading along with a rebuttal. "Idiot! We can't just stay out of range and take potshots from their torpedoes!"

Following my trail, Isuzu also charged forward much to Abukuma's frustration. "But I'm the second fleet's flagship though! And they've already thrown all their ammunition at us..."

While she may have whined a lot about the whole ordeal, she still took down two of the fleeing abyssal imps. The midget subs doing a lot of great work. Isuzu on the other hand continued to take shots at the lone remaining imp in bursts as I slowly but surely gained closer for a clean shot. Leaving the twin barrels, the shell lodged itself readily from the back of the imp and it fell face first into the ocean's surface.

"We're done now! Geez, let's go back, the mist's starting to ruin my hair."

As Abukuma suggested, we're just about halfway around when something slimy grabbed at our legs.

"Where are you going? We haven't shown our appreciation for accepting the distress call yet."

IGN
    Elle Rose
    Server
    Tawi Tawi Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Chapter 48: Invitation...

"Mines!?"

We raised our voices in chorus as the slimy tentacles slithered around our legs. To prevent more of them from latching over, I got airborne and started shaking them off. They stick so well that I had no choice but to lodge a round through those globular heads with glowing eye-stalks sprouting all over. I emptied out both guns, both barrels of course. "I'm not a fan of tentacles. So we'll be taking our leave!"

Getting away from mine infested waters was not difficult with the jump jets so I started to take out the mines latching onto Abukuma. Ah, there's no hidden motive for choosing her over Isuzu. It was merely because the pistol-like guns that Abukuma carried proved to be extremely ineffective against the hard, jet-black, steel casing that sheltered the enemy naval mine's heads.

"No way! Get off me!" Isuzu on the other hand, looks like she could tear off heads with the drop of a hat. It must be an innate hatred for anything that she didn't spot ahead of time? If that was the case, then those abyssal imps might've got the better deal! If there was any need of proof; earlier Isuzu was firing in controlled bursts of three, but was now on full auto as she shred through the ones around her.

"Aaaahhh! Get off! Don't touch my hair!"

Abukuma trashed around so much that the cat hanging by her shoulders started swiping at the mines tightening their grip around her torso. My guns can't keep up with the swarm. I could only shoot at the ones not directly latched onto Abukuma unless I move closer to pry them off at point-blank. This turnout was rather upsetting.

"Hatsushimoneta, was it?" Isuzu called, splashes around Abukuma matching the three round burst showed that Isuzu's started mowing through the surrounding mines. "Get closer and dislodge those mines before they can arm their explosives!"

"Aah, a..." I was speechless. But Isuzu saw me faltering and with visible annoyance, a twitching eye to be exact, wasted no time and rushed over to deliver a solid slap to the face. "Work harder Idiot! I'm not going down knowing that someone half-assed their work while I'm busting my ass out here!"

Gripping the place where her slap connected with my face, I snapped out from my memories of failure and sailed closer to Abukuma. "Yeah, just right... I almost slacked off. Please hold still."

The mine's grip started to contract. A pained look on her face had me rushing to dislodge the pests. "Geez! I'm definitely OK with these things not molesting me, but I'm definitely not OK with having my bones crushed though!"

There's some urge deep inside me to comment about how she seems to be drawing too much among the three of us. I couldn't spout it out as the closest mine to her face opened its mouth to reveal explosives lounging inside. Isuzu having cleared our surroundings, lowered her gun, and rushed over to give a hand. "Idiot! Why's this taking so long!?"

"Ah, I don't know! They're extremely tougher around her!" I replied in panic as the explosive device began blinking. "Aahh! Ah... what to do!?"

Abukuma was already gnashing her teeth when the sound of steel getting bent from pressure came a-popping. "Transforming should be OK!"

That mention of a transformation finally gave me an idea at the nick of time. Tapping into that inner well of willpower, I redirected all that sparkling spirit power onto my right hand as I stowed my guns away. A faint sparkle enveloped the hand I stabbed in through that mine's mouth like a blade. Digging deeper into flesh, I gripped on whatever I could hold and then ripped the explosive clean off the body. Of course, that caused it to loosen up its grip and flaccidly drop to the water with a splash.

"Aaah!"

Abukuma had a horrified look on her eyes the moment she could register what was happening. Her gaze fixed onto that hand gripping chunks of flesh with an explosive device attached. Isuzu was sort of squeamish for a short while but got better when I dropped the mine's innards. "I... I'm not really shocked, but I guess the situation called for it. Well, what's good is that we?re still in one piece. Thanks... I guess."

"I'm glad to help!" I accepted with a smile. Mission accomplished! One more of the fleet successfully protected!

"I... I'm definitely not OK anymore! Can't we just hurry? Geez... and there's that creepy voice from earlier too."

Even though I protected her, Abukuma felt a little bit more distant... like she's actively trying to get away from me. Was it because I helped without her asking for it? That makes sense, I guess? Someone who takes pride in getting to where they are right now using merely their own hard work should possibly hate the idea of getting unwanted help. But pondering time was interrupted when that mysterious voice got louder and now accompanied by clapping.

"You seem to have gained some reliable squad-mates."

Unmistakably a male voice! We stood on ready as we waited for the perpetrator to make his appearance. If luck is on my side, I might get to exact my revenge if it's that gas mask wearing bastard that took Nagamon away from us. Unlikely that situation might be, as the gas masked bastard spoke exclusively through the radio.

Mist surrounding one of the rocks jutting up from the water cleared out slowly as the figure of a man in the navy's trademark white greeted us. Nothing weird from his figure up until it's clear that his skin was bleach-white like an empty canvas. Those eyes of inverted color seemingly taunting us, he beckoned for Abukuma. "I'm back, Hatsushimo too, and your beloved Isuzu-nee."

Slowly huddling closer as the level of danger undoubtedly shot up at the possible appearance of two more abyssals. I don't exactly understand what's happening yet, but this abyssal admiral seems to be pining for Abukuma. Isuzu, leaning over to Abukuma took the liberty of confirming. "Was this the previous Admiral discussed during the return trip from Yokosuka?"

Abukuma's reply was a mere nod as our hunch did prove correct. From the mists, two abyssal fleetgirls cruised in? one looking more monstrous than the other. Isuzu tried to contain a chuckle when that seaplane leading us to this location circled back to perch on the monstrous light cruiser. "I'm going to apologize, but I don't want to end up looking like a mass produced expendable like how your actual sister turned out to be. She doesn't even have a face anymore."

I believe those remarks snapped a nerve. Without a notice, those uneven gun mounts stacked like a ridiculous tower shot at our Isuzu. The rounds exploded all over her, rending her clothing and totaling the rigging. Shortly after, Isuzu was down on her knees, bloodied. The abyssal admiral offered his hand. "Say, I'll strike you a deal. We'll let that yank's fleetgirls return after beating them to an inch of their life if you come with us now! We'll be extra sure they don't sink so they can send the message."

Isuzu, albeit gritting her teeth from the pain, tried to remind Abukuma of her current situation. "Idiot! Don't tell me you'd turn your back on the Commander now! He trusts you hard enough to make you the second fleet's flagship!"

It seems to be working! I have to pitch in so she'll surely stay. "If you work hard enough he might even take you as his second wife after Hana!"

Abukuma moved her feet a bit forward after she glared at me. Was it something I said? The Commander's not shabby looking, he's just a wee bit older than this guy in front of us.

Isuzu was furious. She flung an already exploded depth charge casing at me then kept on barking at Abukuma. "Idiot! What are you doing!? And this ingrate, I can't believe this!"

Have I failed to protect the fleet again? Abukuma slowly crossed over to their side. With a satisfaction on his face, the abyssal admiral gestures to aim at what remained of us. Abukuma herself pointed her guns at me, her animosity no longer held in check. "Do the honors, Kinu."

IGN
    Emerald Acid
    Server
    Rabaul Naval Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    8286 Post(s)
    No, not Abusqueak!

~