Bookmark ThreadResults 31 to 40 of 118
Thread: Winter 2017 Anime
01-08-2017, 02:43 PM #31
I feel that KonoSuba S1 had its great moments, but overall I consider it a "good" but not "must watch" show. I'll pick S2 up during airing if any show in my list ends up disappointing (or if I find myself with more free time than planned), otherwise I'll probably keep it on the bench for weaker seasons in the future.
Marriage Anniversary: October, 2nd
01-08-2017, 09:55 PM #32
01-13-2017, 04:45 PM #33
Kobayashi-San chi no maid dragon (absolutely hilarious)
Ao no Exorcist 2nd season
EXPLOSI Konosuba 2
Tales of Zestria (UFOtable)
Because it's on:
Masamune Kun no Revenge
ChaoS; Child (largely because Chaos;Head was rather "meh")
Fate/Grand Order (not UFOtable, lower quality animation is distinctly noticeable).
Radioactive Material, do not touch:
01-13-2017, 05:40 PM #34
Only watched Demi-chan, Maid Dragon and Littlewtich Academia. My impression so far:
-Demi-chan is the superior monmsu show
-Littlewitch Academia has excellent animation. Also, its art style is quite similar to that of Boku no Hero Academia (amusing considering that the theme of both anime is pretty similar).
01-13-2017, 11:53 PM #35
Should be unsurprising that Urara Meirochou is my pick of the season so far.
Although I do hope the tummy gag goes away. It's really unnecessary and someone should stop her.
01-14-2017, 02:58 AM #36
- Join Date
- Oct 2014
- Paramushir Anchorage
- 729 Post(s)
What I've watched so far
- Kona Suba Season 2: Self explanatory, though the character and just overall visual quality dropped noticeably. :< Same studio (DEEN) so this shouldn't have happened. Actually S1 did well so I'd think the budget would be even better for S2. Meh. Other than that, expect this to be my top show this season. Really liked S1
- Little Witch Academy: Liked the OVA and overall episode 1 was good.
- Fate/Grand Order: Have NO idea what release schedule is like. Assuming we get more this season, but could be wrong. First "episode" was OK, not bad, but not all that great. However, good enough, only tutorial part, and I like Fate so I'm in.
- Ao no Exorcist: Kyoto Fujouou-hen: Marathoned S1 (yeah, anime only parts were not good) and some of the manga before watching. Disregarding anime only parts in S1, good adaptation IMO and that continued in S2 Ep. 01. If you watched S1 or read manga a long time ago, getting back into the story might be a bit of an issue. Definitely need to read manga or watch S1 before watching this. Not anime-only new viewer friendly, but it's a second season sequel (in essence) so no surprise there.
3 Episode Rule
- Youjo Senki: Episode 1 definitely focused more on the action so some world-building/background left to do for sure. Ep. 01 IMO was a mix of good and bad. Good job on the WWI setting visually. OTOH, what is the deal with the girls' eyes. They are huge and distracting, especially the Cpl. (I think) girl. STILL wonder WHY MC is turned into what a 10(?) year old girl for this series. Seems odd choice by the author. Lastly, read one comment from LN reader who did not like the adaptation so possibly issues there. Still, enough here to keep me around for at least 1-2 more episodes.
- Urara Meirochou: Got a few laughs out of this, particularly early on. After that, eh, OK. Like 3/4 of the girls (other is OK). If the comedy works well enough for me, I'll stick with it. If not, not sure. No real "hook" for me after Ep. 01.
- Demi-chan wa Kataritai: Gave the manga (source) a try and IMO this got a good, solid adaptation. Have to think manga fans are happy about it. For anime-only viewers, based upon Ep. 01, if you liked Ep. 01 I think you'll enjoy the show all season. Nice, light SOL + comedy type series. Nothing bad to say about it, but personally manga didn't really grab my interest (didn't find it all that funny for one thing). Good adaptation though and I like the source enough that I'll probably stick with it.
- Gabriel Dropout: Another I gave the manga (source) a test read before the season. Like Demi-chan, IMO this also got a solid, good adaptation, and again have to think manga fans are happy with it. In fact, while Demi-chan Ep. 01 is pretty much right of the manga pages, here I noticed the anime did some minor, yet beneficial and effective tweaks such as the extended introduction (where Gab first gets into gaming). Liked that a lot. Not sure if I'll stick with it simply because on the whole I found the manga OK, but nothing that captured my interest enough to follow. (demi-chan better IMO). Also, while I do like couple characters, I don't like Raphiel. Don't find her mean, bully humor funny at all. Just makes me dislike her. Bleh. JMO - YMMV.
- Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon: Like Demi-Chan and Gabriel tried manga source prior to season and this was easily my favorite of the three. Got quite a few laughs out of it. The dragons and their personality quirks are a lot of fun. Also can be a bit endearing at times. However, IMO this was not a good adaptation. OK, but not nearly as good as Demi-chan or Gabriel (or Ao no Exorcist for that matter). Something's off here, particularly comedy execution. Show could learn a lot from KonaSuba on that. I'll still probably watch since I like the source, but meh, not up to par and a bit disappointing. :<.
- ACCA 13-ku Kansatsu-ka: This got some hype so checked it out despite reservations of all the bureaucracy talk. Thought it was pretty good, though a bit slow at times. Also, so... much...exposition (and I'm not one to normally complain about that). Personally, Jean (MC) was OK. What will drive this show will be the plot and plot twists. Have to see, but suspect I'll stay with this one.
- Onihei: They definitely went with a somewhat "artistic" type visual style which was hit and miss. Mostly it was fine, but there were some noticeable dips visual quality. Honestly, not the most dynamic episode. :/ Biggest issue I had was that I like murder mystery/detective stories set in a historical periods (e.g. Roman times like SPQR books). However, this had very little detective work or mystery - if any. The entire "case" (such as it was) is handed to MC on plot convenience platter. Not good. Since I do like the genre/setting giving it one more try, but if Ep. 01 is any indication, this will be a drop.
- Chain Chronicle - Like Youjo Senki, this went for an action "hook" for the first episode. However, I didn't find it as interesting (perhaps because more of a standard type story). It was OK... I guess, but needs to do some world/character building, etc. Right now, it's just "there" for me, and possible drop if it doesn't improve.
Yet to Watch
- Granblue Fantasy the Animation: Read that it was delayed, but not sure if next season of this one. Saw one place list Jan 21 for airing.
- Ryuu no Haisha: MC is supposed to be a dragon dentist. Giving it a try out of curiosity.
- Akiba's Trip: Got a couple laughs from the first episode. Ep. 01 was still borderline for me, but enough to give it another shot. Episode 2 made this an easy drop.
- - - Updated - - -
Last edited by goesto11; 01-14-2017 at 04:06 AM.
01-14-2017, 04:48 AM #37
@goesto11 Because Gochiusa is anime of the millennium and Urara feels a little bit like lewd Gochiusa
01-14-2017, 04:58 AM #38
- Join Date
- Oct 2014
- Paramushir Anchorage
- 729 Post(s)
01-14-2017, 12:16 PM #39
You know the artstyle of a show is generic as fuck when the only way to distinguish two unrelated characters literally face to face is eyes & hair color.
Also, this show is a massive yuricon bait.
01-14-2017, 01:50 PM #40
- Join Date
- Feb 2015
- Iwagawa Breakfield
- 7702 Post(s)
@goesto11 for the konosuba; just saying that studio DEEN is infamous for having dodgy animation. Hell the first season had some really dodgy animation you're just blind looking back since it wasn't frequent and because everyone remembers the humor more. Either way unless the animation really is bad enough to distract you from the show even decent-animation is enough for a comedy. Most sequel seasons by them are terrible art-wise depressingly. But then I knew that going in so it doesn't bother me.
Grandblue was pushed back to next season, the thing on jan 21st isn't the anime it's 5 minute shorts unrelated to it that was planned to air on the side.
F/GO is a one-off at the moment. Depending on popularity we might see late on in it but it's just a hour 14 'movie' that it's listed as.
Can't really say anything much since the only thing I've watched at all is the assclass shorts that went up recently. Which are pretty hilarious.