Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Bookmark Thread
    Rep
    Mentioned
    475 Post(s)

Yamato-class Blueprints Disclosed?

While browsing around for World of Warships info, a ran into a Reddit World of Warships thread. Supposedly blueprints of the Yamato-class were disclosed. Appears they were tucked away at a shipyard.

NHK News Web Link (Dec 4, 2016) in Japanese, of course:
    http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/2016...794821000.html

I don't understand Japanese, but there's your source. If right on, it would be interesting because what everyone knows in general about the Yamato-class isn't indepth. Photos are few.

"Haze Grey & Underway"
    - World of Warships Profile ; Warships.Today -

IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3540 Post(s)
    @<a href="http://himeuta.org/member.php?u=2660" target="_blank">M.A.Mitscher</a>
    From the comments, it seems it's been made available to the general public, whereas the historians had access to these plans for some time. And even if photographic evidence is scarce, you can some pretty detailed plans on Wikipedia amongst others, and details of her armour (and its faults).

There's also a pretty hefty book on the Yamato-class battleships on Amazon, written by Hans Lengerer : Capital Ships of the Imperial Japanese Navy 1868-1945: The Yamato Class and Subsequent Planning

- - - Updated - - -

From the same subreddit, there was a documentary on Musashi yesterday, with the footage from Paul Allen survey that led to the wreck's discovery.

For those who are interested, here it is on YT, watch it before NHK takes it down :

Rep
    Mentioned
    475 Post(s)
    @Keyan_TTK Wish there was english subtitles, looked interesting especially at 48 minutes long.

"Haze Grey & Underway"
    - World of Warships Profile ; Warships.Today -

IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3540 Post(s)
    @M.A.Mitscher
    Why ? Paul Allen's survey team speaks English. :^)

I'm watching it and you can get the gist of it. And the computer simulations are nifty.

Edit : poking @Mobius, I bet he'll be interested too, if he hasn't seen the relevant threads on Reddit

Last edited by Keyan_TTK; 12-07-2016 at 10:24 PM.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    @M.A.Mitscher: Cool. Hopefully the find will give some new insight into those ships!

Rep
    Mentioned
    841 Post(s)
    @Keyan_TTK I saw the Reddit threads, but thanks for pinging me anyway since I'm definitly interested.

There are probably some naval historians who didn't have access to them prior to this, so we might see some new books on the matter. I wonder if someone will discover details that no one had spotted before.

Nagato 2015-03-22 / Mutsu 2015-03-22 / Hiei 2015-04-18 / Ooi 2015-05-30 / Musashi 2016-03-13 / Waiting for Tatsuta Kai Ni :<

IGN
    Keyan_TTK
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3540 Post(s)
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    I wonder if someone will discover details that no one had spotted before.
    inb4 plans for a "wave motion gun" that can be fitted along the ship's axis :^)

More seriously, I don't really expect a great discovery. If you watch the documentary I linked above, the computer reconstruction of the Musashi is very detailed, as is the postmortem analysis of all the damages caused to her. And Hans Langerer's book seems pretty detailed too, and it's in English. I think I'll buy it for Christmas, and compare it with Garzke and Dulin's book about the Axis battleships of WWII.