Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      The 17th March patch has started and will end at 1800. Check here for more info.
Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    752 Post(s)

New Quest Reward - Type 2 Seaplane Fighter vs. PBY Catalina

Cleared the new Sortie 2xBB & get win at World 3-3 quest, but can't decide which is the better reward to select in my situation. Choices are a Type 2 Seaplane fighter or a PBY Catalina. I currently have have 2x Type 2 Seaplane fighter, 1x Ro. 44, 3x Large Flying Boat and 1x PBY Catalina.

So there's no pressing need for either reward. Another Type 2 Seaplane fighter wouldn't hurt (gives me 3 total) since it's a little better than a Ro. 44. That's the more practical choice, and it's hard to imagine right now needing two PBY Catalinas with 3x Large Flying Boats. On the other hand, though it would cost me some precious improvemats, I can build another Type 2 seaplane fighter if needed while I cannot build a PBY. Perhaps an unfounded concern, but who knows what the devs do when it comes to future improvements and upgrades. Maybe that 2nd PBY could be used to upgrade the first or something to that effect down the road.

So what are players in my situation doing here - which one are you choosing (or would you choose) and why?

Thanks.

IGN
    Emerald Acid
    Server
    Rabaul Naval Base
    Rep
    Mentioned
    8223 Post(s)
    @goesto11 I know some have gotten the Seaplane Fighter to save screws, and because why would we need a third Flying Boat when we can't send out more than two Airbases to attack.

I myself went with Catalina anyways simply because Seaplanes can be built while Catalina cannot.

And who knows? Inb4 we get an event that requires both Airbases to have 10-11 flight range, and have a branch shortcut that requires Akitsushima and a Flying Boat to skip half the map.

I always pull my weight. I just happen to be made of helium.
    ~
    Ryuujou & Iku Anniversary 9/28/15 | Uranami Anniversary 3/1/17 | Fubuki Anniversary 94/99 | Akebono Anniversary 70/99 | Shimakaze Anniversary 5/4/16~
    Admiral Anniversary: 5/25 | I wrote a thing. Updated! (2/28)

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    752 Post(s)
    @Emerald Acid: Thanks. Yeah, that's kind of my thinking. Last event, only needed 2x Flying boat, but as you say, who knows? If for some reason you needed that 2nd PBY, well, then what? It could be the case where the Type 2 Seaplane fighters +1 more AA is a factor, but would we ever need more than 3x seaplane fighters? OT: but have to wonder about last event's prizes. Those Type 1 M34 LBAS bombers only have a range of 8 (maybe RL reason it's not 9, but still). Pretty trollish of the devs to have some future maps where the M22 is the better option given that the M34 was the Hard prize.

Rep
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Taiteis are going to be available (and pretty much the better choice) as long as Akitsushima drops, which hopefully should be eventually™ for most of us. I'd get the seaplane fighter because screws are value.

IGN
    Laisy
    Server
    Hitokappu
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3705 Post(s)
    Actually what is the advantage of seaplane fighters over recon planes? Because I'm inclined to picking PBY since I won't be getting it in near future, and farming for Akitsushima is not easy.
    I actually passed the 2 Taitei in Spring 2015 despite I have the resources to get it, but didn't since I thought it would see limited use.

Nothing much happening right now, isn't it?

Laisy's Journey of Drawing

IGN
    illyrin
    Server
    Sukumo Bay Docks
    Rep
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    @Laisy

Seaplane fighters are fighters - they they can grant air superiority or air parity, and so on. They're better at it than Zuiuns because they don't bomb so they can't get shot down by enemy AA.

However they have some limitations: Seaplane fighters, first of all, don't give you spotting - so you need recon planes for all the daylight double-attacks and cut-ins and so on; so there is an opportunity cost - if you want to use seaplane fighters on a ship and still have a it double attack you need to use gun x2, seaplane fighter, recon plane setups (so no sanshiki, AP shells, etc). Seaplane fighters also don't have good LOS values.

However, seaplane fighters grant you something very rare in Kancolle: lels (or keks, lulz, or LOLs) as you can sneak them in to get air superiority on a lot of maps. A number of ships, like the Italians (CAs and BBs), Nagato-class, and Yamato-class can carry them in addition to your typical CAVs and AVs. Since there's fighter experience, double chevron seaplane fighters grant a pretty good boost to air superiority (about +29 AS for Pola for instance). They're typically in small slots, meaning they rare get shot down (and so don't lose experience - seaplane fighters on Akitsushima are basically immortal). This contribution towards fleet AS values is significant - if you use them alongside carriers, it can let you free up enough space on your carrier to carry more bombers, Sauins, or similar things.

There's also those maps where you can't bring CV(L)s, but AVs feel kinda flimsy, yet they have nodes thick with enemies who have AA. However, the enemy seems to lack carriers as well. Seaplane fighters don't participate in bombing so can't get cleaned out by Tsu-class CLs so they're a reasonable alternative for CAVs or the Fusou KNs instead of Zuiuns if you're worried about all the bombers getting shot down and losing the ability to double-attack.

Ooyodo Kai Ni with the ability to carry seaplane fighters pls

Last edited by illyrin; 12-10-2016 at 09:40 PM.

IGN
    Laisy
    Server
    Hitokappu
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3705 Post(s)
    @illyrin Thanks for the explanation!

Think I'll grab the PBY as well, I only have 2 large flying boats, better get more. I have enough to mod the seaplane.

Nothing much happening right now, isn't it?

Laisy's Journey of Drawing

Rep
    Mentioned
    4359 Post(s)
    @Laisy I'll elaborate on why the Seaplane fighters are good. They count as fighters so when >>, they get the bonus 25 FP. That's how they can take AP or AS at maps which are light on CV/Ls.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    752 Post(s)
    Thanks for the comments everyone. Seems opinion is kind of split on this. Anyone else have some thoughts on this?
    @Leyana: So which do you advocate given my situation?

Rep
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Before clearing the quest, I had 1x T2 seaplane fighter, 1x Ro44, 2x Taitei-chan, 1x Catalina, and another T2 seaplane fighter in the making. I still picked the Catalina as quest reward for its uniqueness/rarity.
    I would aim to have 4x seaplane fighters, which would have been useful during last two events, having 2 CAVs each with 2x seaplane fighters equipped, giving up double attacks for reliable air power.

In your current situation, you might as well just wait with clearing the quest, to see whichever you require in the future.

My event guides: Summer 2016 / Fall 2016
    Stream is currently offline: http://www.twitch.tv/kuronia
    Hello to you!
    [+] Spoiler

Hello!