Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    @Kuropo: That is the ideal solution. Unfortunately... I cleared it >_< Didn't realize the rewards for that request and was trying to unlock the feed a CV a bunch of CVs quest (had 10 CV fodder and needed to clear out space). Four seaplane fighters does make sense though I'd rather not give up artillery spotting if I don't have to do so. Honestly, I'd just go ahead and pick the Type 2, but then I can envision for some reason in the future "@)#*$ If I only had that second PBY...". As you say, it is unique, and can totally see some upgrade with that which is why I'm waffling on this.

If it wasn't for the lack of "screws" I'd shrug & get the PBY, but while I have some medals I can exchange... soooo much left to upgrade >_<, and much of that is NOT cheap (e.g. 16"/50 Mk7 guns, whatever the jet fighters cost, etc.). Got that sextuple oxy torp to do (almost down with my max rank quint oxy). Gonna need to do 5-5 this month for that medal (been ages since I did that map). Don't have 6-5 unlocked since 6-4 is trolling me before the event.

Rep
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goesto11 View Post
    @Kuropo: That is the ideal solution. Unfortunately... I cleared it >_< Didn't realize the rewards for that request and was trying to unlock the feed a CV a bunch of CVs quest (had 10 CV fodder and needed to clear out space). Four seaplane fighters does make sense though I'd rather not give up artillery spotting if I don't have to do so. Honestly, I'd just go ahead and pick the Type 2, but then I can envision for some reason in the future "@)#*$ If I only had that second PBY...". As you say, it is unique, and can totally see some upgrade with that which is why I'm waffling on this.

If it wasn't for the lack of "screws" I'd shrug & get the PBY, but while I have some medals I can exchange... soooo much left to upgrade >_<, and much of that is NOT cheap (e.g. 16"/50 Mk7 guns, whatever the jet fighters cost, etc.). Got that sextuple oxy torp to do (almost down with my max rank quint oxy). Gonna need to do 5-5 this month for that medal (been ages since I did that map). Don't have 6-5 unlocked since 6-4 is trolling me before the event.
    Pop medals for screws! :D
    I will probably do that relatively soon, after having "achieved" having 100 medals. (To celebrate it or something..) ^_^

The new equipment take so many screws to improve indeed.. :/

My event guides: Summer 2016 / Fall 2016
    Stream is currently offline: http://www.twitch.tv/kuronia
    Hello to you!
    [+] Spoiler

Hello!

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    @Kuropo: Not just improvemats, but those 16"/50 guns require 3x 46cm triple from +7 to +10 >_>. Hello RNG construction (frankly I'dl like to upgrade my 51cm as well). Then there's Type 32 RADAR which I can't seem to build anymore (seriously - need like 6 more just to fill out 2x shelling support). IF I ever needed a Type 2 seaplane fighter, picking it would save me at least 29 improvemats. I'll think about it a bit more - perhaps some others will give their thoughts and then pick one - hopefully the right one.

Last edited by goesto11; 12-12-2016 at 04:28 AM. Reason: correction

Rep
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    The rationally "correct" option would be to pick the seaplane fighter, if you find yourself lacking one. Otherwise, just wait till you do require one or the other, or when this quest becomes a prerequisite for another.
    I only picked the Catalina because I valued its rarity a bit more. I don't mind "losing out" on 14 (or more) screws to get a T2 seaplane fighter.

My event guides: Summer 2016 / Fall 2016
    Stream is currently offline: http://www.twitch.tv/kuronia
    Hello to you!
    [+] Spoiler

Hello!

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    754 Post(s)
    @Kuropo: Just to be clear, I already completed the quest - just haven't collected the reward yet. I can hold off on reward collection, but it takes up one of my active quest spots (annoying) . Agree, more logical choice as things stand is Type 2 Fighter since I "only" have 3 total, It's possible I might use 4 (or that +1 more AA over my single Ro. 44 makes a difference if I need 3). IF you go no guarantee and never fail, it's 29 imrprovemats to build a Type 2. Ro. 44 is a lot cheaper to build in terms of improvemats. :/ I thought I read somewhere that the devs have mentioned something about an upgrade (via improvement) for F4F-4 which makes me wonder if there's some potential good PBY upgrade down the line. Pure speculation of course, but as you say, can't build (or farm) for those either. Thanks for the replies. :D Not that big of a deal in the end. I'll just pick one and hope I made the right choice.

Rep
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Yeah, this was an interesting Quest. Why make the choice between a Seaplane Fighter and a Large Flying Boat? They perform very different roles. The Type 2 Fighter is immediatlely useful, while the PBY is inferior to a Taitei in nearly all situations. I assume that maybe they felt not enough Admirals had 1 or the other and wanted to give us an option to pick-up what we were missing. That or they will add some new mechanics or branch requirements in future maps that will make use of both planes.

For my part, the decision to go with the Type 2 over the PBY was pretty easy. I already had (3) Taiteis and (1) PBY, while I have (0) Type 2 Fighters (I have 3 Ro. 44s). I vaguely remember running into an issue where (2) Ro 44s were not enough for AP or AS and that if I had substituted (1-2) Type 2s, I could have achieved the desired air result. I had been working on a upgrading a recon plane, but this will let me leave the recon plane at +6 for LoS usage.

If KDKW is going to add an upgrade path for the PBY, I think they will give us some way to obtain more (Quest, Development, or a new USN Kanmusu that comes with them).

Winter 2017 Event Progress
    甲甲甲
    Twitch Event Stream

Server
    Explosive Licking Castle
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1269 Post(s)
    @goesto11

I'm honestly not sure why you're fretting so much about this. In my view it all boils down to a simple question.

"Do you care that Catalina is an item unobtainable by normal means?"

YES - Get it
    NO - Don't get it

For me the answer is YES because I care about random nonsense that's hard or impossible to get through normal means even if it has zero utility/statistical value whatsoever. Far more valuable than something that has more utility or is more powerful but can be gotten repeatedly through normal means.

Oh right and being a massive fan of Catalina in general. The workhorse of USN aviation.

KanDex First Completed 16 February 2016 // HQ Lvl 120! 9 March 2016 // 1st Anniversary with Hiyou! 31 March 2016

Kantai Collection TRPG Himeuta thread

Lieutenant
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Unlike the Mackerel quests this seems (to me) to be a much harder choice. I already have 2 Taitei and 1 PBY, along with 1 Type 2 and 1 (soon to be 2) Ro.44, and I've got a +9 Type 0 Recon that I can quickly turn into a Type 2 if needs be.
    The PBY is unbuildable, but the Type 2 is far more useful, although I don't actually have much of a need for them right now, and I only use the PBY for 1-5 runs. Decisions, decisions.

LSC Successes: Maruyu 23/6/15, Akitsu Maru 1/7/15, Bismarck 6/7/15, Taihou 10/9/15
    LSC Failure Count: 23

Server
    Hashirajima
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1653 Post(s)
    As I have zero Taitei and only one PBY so far, the choice was pretty easy for me. Don't even use the seaplane fighters I already have anyway.

IGN
    コスモスペンギン
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I have 1 Taitei, 1 Catalina, 1 Ro-44 and no Type 2 seaplane fighters.
    Decided on the extra Catalina after determining that getting a Type 0 seaplane to MAX and convert it isn't really that hard (compared with, say a triple 35.6 cm gun).
    It's probably the wrong decision but I'm at least getting something that one can't get anywhere else at all so.....

Why marry ships when I already have Space Shuttle Discovery as my waifu? ?_?

MIA list: Yamato/Musashi/Bismarck/Taihou/I-401/Yahagi ------- Littorio/Roma/Graf Zeppelin/Unryuu/Okinami/Asakaze/Fujinami