Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Bookmark Thread
    Newly Registered
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Greetings from a new user

Hey everyone, I'm Eastern_Wu. I chose it as my forum name because out of the Three Kingdoms the Kingdom of Wu was the only one with a sizable naval force due to their geographical position in the Jiangnan (south of the Yangtze River) region. I haven't actually played Kancolle yet, not sure how to do it in North America (Vancouver). I really hope to start soon.
    As for myself, I'm just an ordinary person without anything outstanding. I'm generally good and kind, with a tendency to wander. I often find it hard to express myself due to being an introvert, and I can get quite emotionally charged, but overall people would say that I'm alright. I like to eat and drink (with little to no tolerance for alcohol), listen to music, watch films, play games, and read about random stuff. I'm a history buff that likes nature (especially marine life, but also the sky and space). Though I detest war because it's an instrument of the elite to bring suffering to the masses, and I'm an anarchist at heart, I like military history and equipment. I've hardly been anywhere and there are so many places I would like to visit, hopefully I will be able to travel in the near future.
    I first heard about Kantai Collection from Wargaming's WoWS, where I play with the name Zionas. Me primarily being an RPG person, it's the first shooting game I've really gotten into and frankly I'm just average at it, but I'm decent and improving
    I really hope to get started in Kancolle soon. I hope to have a good time with all of you.

I'm fluent in English and Mandarin with an intermediate proficiency in my native Sichuanese dialect.

Favorite Ships:
    1. Kongou sisters (cute and wacky)
    2. Nagato and Mutsu (calm, collected, mature)
    3. 6th Destroyer Division (cute)-Khorosho, Poi!
    4. Yamato
    5. Bismarck
    6. Kuma
    7. Atago, Myoukous (ex: Ashigara, Myoukou)-PAN PAKA PAN!!!!
    8. Japanese carriers (shooting aircraft from a longbow is cool)
    9, New Mexico, Colorado (decent brawlers)
    10. Furutaka and Aoba (handles like a CL, good HE characteristic of the Japanese, AP easily takes out lightly armored cruisers)
    11. Benson and Fletcher classes

Last edited by Eastern_Wu; 12-14-2016 at 04:27 AM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4796 Post(s)
    Wow, that's a detailed introduction if I've ever seen one. Welcome to Himeuta, I'm sure you'll like it here!

This here should help you get started with KanColle: http://kancolle.wikia.com/wiki/Tutor...ow_to_Register

The wikia is a great place to find all sorts of information, and for anything that you can't find there, or if something confuses you, you can just look around or ask here on Himeuta and you're bound to get any help you may need.

You're also welcome to PM the moderator @Kalinsre if you have any questions, especially about Himeuta itself. You can PM me too, but I'm a lot less well-versed in KanColle-Fu than many others here.

GCT Shelter: https://discord.gg/hRYGuPz -
    A sad, hopefully temporary excuse for a GCT replacement.

Rep
    Mentioned
    1517 Post(s)
    @Eastern_Wu Hi! Welcome to Himeuta. Hope you enjoy your stay.

I actually read quite a lot about the Three Kingdoms. Good to see another fan(though my fangirling is reserved for Wei =D).

If you run into any questions let me know!

Newly Registered
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    @ Kalinsre Thanks! ^^ Are you also a Warships player on the NA server?

I'd like to know how to get Kancolle because i know that technically it's still blocked outside of Japan.

I like Wei too. Both Wei and Shu had a lot more figures who actually accomplished things. Shu has been largely glorified due to Luo Guanzhong's Romance of the Three Kingdoms. In history many of Shu's figures were not all that impressive. Zhao Yun was more of a bodyguard rather than a general for most of his life, Guan Yu never really won a single battle. Zhuge Liang was somewhat capable as a civil administrator, but his military prowess is largely the stuff of legend. It could be that Chen Shou, author of the Records of the Three Kingdoms, had a lot less information on Shu available to him because Zhuge Liang abolished the office of the royal historian. Comparatively, he had a lot more information on Wei and Wu.

An interesting trend beginning in the middle part of the Three Kingdoms was that commanders shifted towards more of a balance of scholarly pursuits and military capabilities, while in the earlier period there was more of a clear divide between 文将 (civil officials) and 武将 (military generals)。Some of the generals from the mid-to-late Three Kingdoms were sons of renowned civil officials. For example, Chen Tai, who was a prominent commander guarding Wei's frontier with Shu and one of Jiang Wei's key opponents, was the son of renowned scholar Chen Qun who created the Nine Rank System for Wei officials. Zhong Hui, joint commander-in-chief with Deng Ai during the conquest of Shu, was the son of Zhong You, an important official and scholar. I've played DW 4, 5, 7, and 8. I've played RoTK 10, 11, and 13.

Naval warfare during the Three Kingdoms was pretty much the sole domain of Eastern Wu. Shu and Wei both had naval forces but only Wu had a functional navy. It was Wu's navy that prevented Wei from conquering Wu, although Cao Pi had an opportunity when Wu and Shu were engaged in the Battle of Yiling. A few years after Yiling, when Wei decided to invade Wu, Wu was fully prepared and Wei's forces were repelled by Lu Xun, Quan Cong and Zhu Huan at the Battle of Shiting in 228 AD. Cao Xiu, commander-in-chief of the Wei forces, suffered a humiliating defeat and died not long after. It wasn't until Wei got replaced by Jin that the north built a naval force strong enough to conquer Wu. After Shu was conquered, the Sichuan Basin (former Shu territory along the Yangtze River) was used to build and train Jin's naval forces.

There was a Jin commander instrumental in preparing Jin's naval buildup but didn't live to take part in the conquest of Wu. His name was Yang Hu and he was stationed at Xiangyang, north of Wu's major fortress at Jiangling. He was actually good friends with the Wu commander Lu Kang, son of Lu Xun. It was said that Lu trusted him so much that when he was sick and Yang Hu sent him medicine, he took it without any hesitation despite warnings from his subordinates. As they were friends unfortunate enough to be on opposing sides, they agreed never to launch surprise attacks on each other's forces. They would set dates for skirmishes, and whatever happened to their forces, they never took it personally. When Lu Kang was alive, Jin didn't dare to invade Wu as he was pretty much the only capable Wu commander left by then. Gan Ning, Cheng Pu, Zhou Yu, Lu Meng, Zhou Tai, Ling Tong etc. were from an earlier era and were long deceased. Lu Kang pleaded the Wu emperor Sun Hao to set up defenses in anticipation of a Jin invasion but was not taken seriously.

When Jin finally invaded Wu, they didn't have a numerical advantage, but Wu's ability to resist was greatly compromised due to years of corruption and instability. Wu had some successes in fending off the Jin invasion but they were swiftly overcome after a re-organization of the Jin forces. Compared to Wei and Shu, I'm not sure if Wu's goal had been re-unification. According to a commentary by a well-known Chinese professor, Sun Quan was a lot more 'pragmatic' compared to the idealistic Cao Cao and Liu Bei. He saw the prosperity of his regional domain above everything else. There's been debate on whether both Jin and Wu were satisfied with a two-state solution after the conquest of Shu.

Rep
    Mentioned
    1517 Post(s)
    @Eastern_Wu Nah. I tried World of Warships for a while and played 100 or so battles. I stopped after my win rate dropped to below 60%. It's simply too frustrating as it follows the exact model as World of Tanks. I have very little patience for another game of the same flavor.

Interesting analysis. I actually didn't know these details about the naval history. At least in what I read Yang Hu was more known for his fujo manga-like relationship with Lu Kang than anything else (so much BL doujin potential <3). I didn't know that Yang Hu contributed to the Jin navy. I guess it's easier to attribute the success to Du Yu and Wang Jun toward the end.

I'd write more but I have exams coming up soon. But it's great to talk about this stuff. I like two periods in history: China's Three Kingdoms and Japan's Sengoku. Unfortunately not many people in this forum have much to say about those :( Feel free to find me in the General Chat Thread if you want to talk. I'm usually there.

Newly Registered
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    :0 Glad to have someone that shares my interests. Yeah I also like the Sengoku :Period of Japan. My first exposure to it was Koei's Kessen 3. I've never played Samurai Warriors. Oda Nobunaga unified around two-thirds of Japan before he was killed by Akechi Mitsuhide. There was possibly a foul relationship between the two, as Nobunaga was probably jealous of Mitsuhide's intellect and scholarly talent. Takeda Shingen was a superb military general but he also introduced lots of administrative reforms to his domain, including an early form of a progressive taxation system. Tempura likely originated during the Sengoku Period, the cooking method was introduced to Japan by the Portuguese and integrated into Japanese cuisine.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4230 Post(s)
    Hi and welcome.

You have good taste dess. Kongou the best dess.

Newly Registered
    Rep
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When Jin finally invaded Wu, they didn't have a numerical advantage, but Wu's ability to resist was greatly compromised due to years of corruption and instability. Wu had some successes in fending off the Jin invasion but they were swiftly overcome after a re-organization of the Jin forces. Compared to Wei and Shu, I'm not sure if Wu's goal had been re-unification. According to a commentary by a well-known Chinese professor, Sun Quan was a lot more 'pragmatic' compared to the idealistic Cao Cao and Liu Bei. He saw the prosperity of his regional domain above everything else. There's been debate on whether both Jin and Wu were satisfied with a two-state solution after the conquest of Shu.