Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Fall event Maint will start on 17th Nov. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      New Forum "Azur Lane" has been added to User Suggested Forums
Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Jet planes, are they worth it?

I would love to know everyone's opinion on it, especially the ones that have both of them and tested them out.
    I only unlocked the first one through the quests, im pondering over if i should get the second one or not... since it costs and arm and leg for me to get x_x

I would need 3 reppus and around 80 screws to do it, and im not a p2p player so that amount of screws for me is ALLOT.

So before i commit to upgrading it i want to know if it's really worth it or not, so far i only tested one and they don't seem to make any difference at all. maybe it's because im only using one, that's why i want to know what the ones that have both think of it.

Rep
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    @GuiltyClown My personal opinion on Jet are they may have an important use to them.

Think of it this way, currently you have a Jet plane that has the strength of a Reppu and Suisei combined into one package, that can attack twice at the cost of steel. While this may not seem signicant for now, I do have hunch that the Jet will be use, especially on harder difficulties, and this will especially apply to if they introduce Abyssal Jets into the game. (Which I could easily see becoming a nightmare to many players)

Now as for me, I only have the Kikka Kai so I can speak for anyone who has the Jet Keiun, but I'm aware that the Jet Keiun is a more offensive plane and therefore can be considered more resourceful for various needs. Especially since it's diving bombing levels are the highest numbers of any plane that currently exists.

I will be building the Jet Keiun in due time, but I will be taking my time with it since I know it'll be a long and expensive trip. Hopefully I'll have it ready in time for the Spring if possible.

In addition, don't forget we will be expecting more jets to appear in due time which include pure fighter jets when will likely help aid in additional aid defense.

That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind!

Rep
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    If talking about usage, jets are similar to midget subs in that you get an extra hit before main shelling. The jet stage occurring before the air battle also means that you can potentially snipe off some carriers which can ruin runs.

Currently jets are believed to behave similarly to dive bombers, which might be why you aren't seeing anything particularly outstanding if the jet was assigned to a small plane slot. It is worth noting that the base power for Keiun Kai starts at 112 maximum using the 34-plane slot, which will decrease over time due to given that they are doubly susceptible to enemy AA.
    I suppose that jets can serve as pseudo-CLTs if the map doesn't allow CLT branching, or to hopefully take out some weaker targets, so that your support fleets will aim at more important targets. CLTs can't do this since the opening torpedo takes place after the supporting stage.

Since there isn't much of a need to use them outside of event maps unless you are having trouble with 5-5, 6-4 or 6-5, there isn't much of a rush to build the Keiun Kai immediately. The 80 screws can be obtained in 2 months from monthlies and weeklies, ignoring BM7, and you can build the Reppu as part of your daily development quests.

Last edited by Drantai; 12-16-2016 at 10:57 AM.
    五月雨 124/155
    Twitch (Inactive)

"The more lazy efficient it makes me, the better it is!"

Rep
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    @Drantai After I made that Keiun, I'm left with 5 reppuu and 21 shiden k2. What is law of large numbers and when does it start fixing my life

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)
    @Drantai: I have a feeling that like seaplane fighters this past event, jets will be important for next event (maybe Winter, maybe Spring, but soon). Given CV(B) restriction, really do wonder if there's a upcoming new CV(B) Kai ni where that prototype catapult reward can be used. Hope so (make it Taihou Kai ni, and don't screw it up devs). If not, guess I'll have to remodel Shoukaku Kai ni to Kai ni A. Outside of events, perhaps it might pay for itself a little over time if it makes 5-5 medal runs significantly easier(?). Can't say about 6-5 - not there yet (stupid 6-4 )

Personally, I'll plan to eventually upgrade Prototype Keiun to a Jet Keiun Kai. Perhaps "only" two months worth of improve mats (I get 89 total required if you use guarantee slider from +7 through conversion), but that's still significant and I'll have to put off a lot of other improvements prior to next event to get ready (e.g. 16"/50 Mk. 7, sextuple oxy torp - just go that quest done, etc.). IDK, maybe it's a bit of a surreptitious push to get players to spend money. You can buy more improvemats, but very expensive to do so IMO.

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

Rep
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    from what I've seen while using my own jet, jets do not appear to be very powerful. Nobody was keen on using dive bombers before jets, and there's little reason to believe that dive bombing got much better after jets. Coupled with the double tap aa losses, I'm skeptical of jets making much of a dent in the CV scene.

however, one area where jets shine is their very high base stats for a f/b, so much so that they contribute greatly to your fighter power value. They can be thought of as fighters with bombing ability as a bonus. One or two don't matter that much, but if we could field 4 or more of them the additional opening strike could help significantly with getting rid of fodder, and dive bombing, while unimpressive from what I've seen so far, is more than enough to deal significant damage or sink ships below bb level armor. It's almost like running another type of support expedition.

all that being said, it remains to be seen how greatly affected jets are by enemy aa. It could be difficult to field them effectively in anything but the largest slot that carriers have, making them effectively limited to 1 per jet capable carrier.

Rep
    Mentioned
    238 Post(s)
    I'll do 6-5 later today and stream it trying out the one jet I have on Shoukaku. So far it really seems they are just a small opening strike and might not be useful against heavy enemy AA. They can take out anything that has Ri-class flagship defense though.

That alone can make them useful against abyssal combined fleet because of the amount of ships that need to be taken out.

6-5 tomorrow, had to take care of something else today.

Last edited by nwrtz; 12-17-2016 at 04:59 PM.
    Twitch
    Schedule:
    Thursday 17:00~21:00 UTC | Friday: 18:00~22:00 UTC
    Saturday: 16:00~Open end UTC | Sunday: 16:00~21:00 UTC

Rep
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    @nwrtz I actually did a test on it in the stream last night before doing the Abobo Stream. I will note that at least the Kikka can be a resourceful Jet plane due to it's balance in Dive bombing power and AA strngth + giving your ships a range long distance range.

(It's basiclly a Suisei, a Reppuu,and a Scamp all combined into one package!)

My personal overall view is, it's good, but not outstanding but has lots of practical uses which you can't get out of other planes making it resourceful for Shoukaku and Zuikaku Kai Ni Type A at the time.

The Kancolle portion is only about 1 hour long (and 4 6-5 runs) but it should give a small taste of what it likely in store for your runs as well. https://www.twitch.tv/totaku2/v/107992210

Last edited by Totaku; 12-17-2016 at 09:11 PM.
    That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otaku Kind!

Rep
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Im currently running it on 6-5 myself, so far not much difference except the occasional DD kill.

It's true that they have high fighter stats, but can we really consider them as a fighter? what i mean is when a fighter is double chevron it gets an extra 24~ fighter power regardless of aa stat, is this the same case for the jet or not.

Also, it's true that they can take out some trash, but that means im sacrificing a slot for it, instead of putting another torpedo bomber... my question is doesn't that affect the opening strike or do they participate in opening strikes as well? if no than isn't better to just put another torpedo bomber instead of it.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)
    @GuiltyClown: In terms of plane skill, since it's a fighter-bomber, wouldn't the plane skill have the same effect that it does for other fighter bombers (e.g. Type 0 M62)?

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.