Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)

Map 5-5 Revisited

Given the ever increasing need for improvement materials, I'm now considering doing 5-5 medal runs (not quite at 6-5 yet so that's not an option currently). I cleared 5-5 a loooong time (before I had Yamato or Mushasi and well before plane ranks). Rather than necro an old thread, though I would ask for thoughts on those who do 5-5 monthly.

From what I've read - two ways to go about this these days. First is "old school" = 2x Yamato class + Iowa/Bismarck/etc. + 2x CV (probably CVB) + 1x CVL. Second is "CV nuke" -> 1-2 FBB (again probably Iowa/Bismarck/etc.) + 4-5 CV with good max rank planes. I suppose there's a 3rd option - 3x FBB + 3x CV, but the first two are preferred from what I can tell.

Questions:

(1) So which comp is preferred for monthly medal clears?

(2) When I cleared, I sparkled everything (>_>) and ran double support. Still the case, or do players do monthly medal runs without one or both support (assuming sparkling main fleet is required), etc.?

(3) Any other thoughts/recommendations

Thanks.

Rep
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    @goesto11

1. Iowa, Bismarck, 4 CV

2. Yes, shit is still awful

3. If you're me, you'll never get past offroute no matter how many 155s you throw at the map.

4. Watch people clear with level 80 Kongous

Life is terrible and so is 5-5. Have fun.

Rep
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goesto11 View Post
    Given the ever increasing need for improvement materials, I'm now considering doing 5-5 medal runs (not quite at 6-5 yet so that's not an option currently). I cleared 5-5 a loooong time (before I had Yamato or Mushasi and well before plane ranks). Rather than necro an old thread, though I would ask for thoughts on those who do 5-5 monthly.

From what I've read - two ways to go about this these days. First is "old school" = 2x Yamato class + Iowa/Bismarck/etc. + 2x CV (probably CVB) + 1x CVL. Second is "CV nuke" -> 1-2 FBB (again probably Iowa/Bismarck/etc.) + 4-5 CV with good max rank planes. I suppose there's a 3rd option - 3x FBB + 3x CV, but the first two are preferred from what I can tell.

Questions:

(1) So which comp is preferred for monthly medal clears?

(2) When I cleared, I sparkled everything (>_>) and ran double support. Still the case, or do players do monthly medal runs without one or both support (assuming sparkling main fleet is required), etc.?

(3) Any other thoughts/recommendations

Thanks.
    Nowadays, I run 3x fBB 3x CVB for my monthly 5-5 clears. I've found this to be more reliable than 2x fBB 4x CV(B), especially at the boss node.
    Although it may somewhat help, I don't sparkle for these sorties. Chances to reach the boss node are relatively low regardless of having your shipgirls sparkled. Either Re-class at node E will heavily damage one of your shipgirls or your fleet gets routed to node L. Sparkling these ships is quite expensive as well. I don't run support expeditions either.

Watch replay here

I now have some better equipment than what I've used in the replay, but you get the idea. ;)

Last edited by Kuropo; 12-17-2016 at 02:04 PM.
    My event guides: Summer 2016 / Fall 2016
    Stream is currently offline: http://www.twitch.tv/kuronia
    Hello to you!
    [+] Spoiler

Hello!

Rep
    Mentioned
    1748 Post(s)
    @goesto11

For months I run 2BB4CV. Now with jets I may run 1BB5CV, but 2BBs is better when you need to go into night battle.

Piuy is the boss.

Rep
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Bismarck, Yamato, Musashi, Junyou and 2 CVs is still the best setup in my experience since Yamato and Musashi can easily tank Re's torps. Put full fighters on Junyou so that she doesn't waste a turn attacking submarines. If you need to sparkle, sparkle the CV's as they will be the problem. Node support is mostly more expensive then it is worth, only Re's torpedoes are a real threat and support usually doesn't help you with that.

"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today," Admiral David Beatty, 1st Earl Beatty. Battle of Jutland, 1916

Server
    Explosive Licking Castle
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1252 Post(s)
    @goesto11

I'll put in a vote for 3 fBB 3 CVB. I have personally never been fond of the 'CV all-in' strategy for 5-5, it has never panned out well for me and only resulted in massive bauxite losses and taiha to Re-class anyway, and I don't believe having jets would change this given that they're just as likely to whiff their attacks as the typical airstrike. 3 fbb 3 CVB has a decent balance between being still able to do what needs to be done, not being ludicrously expensive, and still capable of the boss kill even if your fleet gets multiple chuuha along the way.

And I totally empathise with Jifaru with levels not meaning anything at all. The last time I cleared this map, sometime in the middle part of this year, I took the most attempts ever and finally convinced me to give up on the map if I wasn't trying to rank. Having to take more attempts with a full fleet of lvl 99s compared to back when I first started running this map with lvl 80+s is... extremely demoralising. But it's not something to be bitter about, it's just how the map is.

I can't say much about the difference between sparkling and not sparkling because I sparkle my characters before 'serious' sorties compulsively. But I do want to cast a vote for Node Support, at least, potentially making a difference. It's because Re-class is just plain murder even during the shelling, and having the first shot against her and only her with your BB can save you a few runs. There is nothing you can do about the opening torpedo, but there's a good chance of wiping out every other enemy on the node with the opening airstrike + node support (even more likely if you choose to run more CVs), leaving Re alone for your BB to focus and hopefully red her on the first shot of shelling. And as a bonus node support helps reduce the attrition you suffer on the other nodes too.

Boss support is far less necessary in my opinion, at least with 3 fbb 3CV, because usually only Re and the boss would still be left at night battle. It's worth calling if the final kill is giving trouble since BWS and the War Princess are tankier.

Last edited by NanashiYoukai; 12-17-2016 at 08:19 PM.
    KanDex First Completed 16 February 2016 // HQ Lvl 120! 9 March 2016 // 1st Anniversary with Hiyou! 31 March 2016

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions. Hmm... seems there's no clear "use this comp" though I think it's safe to rule out 1xFBB +5xCV initially. Either go 2-3xFBB + 3-4x CV(B) or "old school" with 2x Yamato class + (F)BB + Junyou + 2xCV(B).

Bit surprised that 3xFBB + 3xCV(B) is as popular as it seems to be. That's what I used to clear because I didn't have any other options. As for CVB, guess I'll have to convert Shoukaku Kai ni to Kai ni A. Kind of like her as CV though. :/ Worked out well for me last event.

@Jifaru: 2) That's what I figured. I may try not sparkling main fleet or just CV first.

3 & 4) No lvl 155 ships for me yet. "Only" have 4 waifu (though I have some rings left). As for Kongou-class, when I cleared way back when, I used Kongou Kai ni, Kirishima Kai ni, Bismarck Drei, Akagi Kai, Kaga Kai & Hiryuu Kai ni (levels 91-97). Wasn't easy, but girls got the job done eventually. Hopefully having all LSC ships, plane skill system, much better equipment (incl. improvement), etc. will make some material difference.

"Life is terrible and so is 5-5. Have fun." LOL. I'll try... as soon as 6-4 stops being a b**** (2 kills left). Want to finish that up first.

@Kuropo: Yeah, that's the thing about this map since you can dead end (kind of reminds me of Summer 2015 E-7). Sparkle, sparkle, bloody sparkle -> goes off route. Bleh. Enough peril with Re trying to taiha you. Be GREAT if I could get away with clearing this monthly without sparkling or supports. That's much more amicable than I imagined. I may run with at least one support and see how it goes from there. Perhaps leave Boss support for final kill.

@CaptainCoxwagle: Given costs, thinking I'll start with 2-3xFBB + 3-4xCV(B) though 2x Yamato-class comp is certainly something I will keep in mind as a plan B. Gives a chance to bring out the Yamato-class waifu. :D though bloody expensive to do that (and Iowa isn't much better. :<). Understand about Junyou.

@NanashiYoukai: True, having another NB ship could very well make boss support less necessary (which is worth something). I'm also inclined to run Node support as well. Too many chances for a taiha along the way. Pain to sparkle entire support fleet, but at least morale loss isn't bad with node support.

"And I totally empathise with Jifaru with levels not meaning anything at all. The last time I cleared this map, sometime in the middle part of this year, I took the most attempts ever and finally convinced me to give up on the map if I wasn't trying to rank."

Well, that's kind of an issue with the game IMO. Levels really don't mean all that much over what - level 70? 80? I get having things tail off a lot for waifu ships since otherwise it could be too much pay-to-win, but personally I'd like to see levels matter more and less emphasis on SparkleColle and StockpileColle. Is what it is. :/ At any rate, that second sentence makes me wonder if it's really worth the time/cost of doing this for one extra medal per month - really 4 improvemats. Haven't gotten to 6-5 so don't know whether that's easier or not.

Last edited by goesto11; 12-17-2016 at 11:04 PM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    @goesto11 I'd say 6-5 is a little bit easier. I had some awful RNG and it ended up taking me over 20 runs this month but the overall expense certainly isn't as bad.

Well, 5-5 is certainly much easier on the buckets. Even when you retreat it's just one or two ships.

Rep
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goesto11 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Hmm... seems there's no clear "use this comp" though I think it's safe to rule out 1xFBB +5xCV initially. Either go 2-3xFBB + 3-4x CV(B) or "old school" with 2x Yamato class + (F)BB + Junyou + 2xCV(B).

Bit surprised that 3xFBB + 3xCV(B) is as popular as it seems to be. That's what I used to clear because I didn't have any other options. As for CVB, guess I'll have to convert Shoukaku Kai ni to Kai ni A. Kind of like her as CV though. :/ Worked out well for me last event.

@Kuropo: Yeah, that's the thing about this map since you can dead end (kind of reminds me of Summer 2015 E-7). Sparkle, sparkle, bloody sparkle -> goes off route. Bleh. Enough peril with Re trying to taiha you. Be GREAT if I could get away with clearing this monthly without sparkling or supports. That's much more amicable than I imagined. I may run with at least one support and see how it goes from there. Perhaps leave Boss support for final kill.
    Getting diverted to node L shouldn't happen all too often though.

With only 2 fBBs, I've found my fleet not being able to kill the boss and/or to clear all surface ships at the boss node. Also, my fourth regular CV would get heavily damaged quite often.

My event guides: Summer 2016 / Fall 2016
    Stream is currently offline: http://www.twitch.tv/kuronia
    Hello to you!
    [+] Spoiler

Hello!

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    @Jifaru: Just did 6-5 and it wasn't that bad (9 sorties). Having 100% routing helps, but yeah, I can see how one can be RNG trolled there (2nd LBAS would help - not sure if I should use my one remaining construction crew at 6-5 or not). FWIW, my impression is what you say. Overall, 6-5 is probably easier and significantly less resource intensive (other than perhaps buckets) compared to 5-5. So if I'm going to do a monthly EO map after 4-5 for an extra medal (really 4 improvemats), then probably better off starting with 6-5 and then maybe do 5-5. Even with plane skill system, 5-5 seem quite expensive for 4 improvemats. :/

@Kuropo: Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Probably start with 2x FBB just to see what 4xCV are like, but no reason not to switch to 3xFBB if 2xFBB isn't working out.