Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Spring event will be starting on 2th May. Check here for more info.
Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    Well considering that it launched back in 2013 it had/has a good run so far. I mean for a browser game with such simplistic gameplay mechanics it still keeps a lot of player's busy.

To be honest i would love to see some major improvements, but for this to happen the game probably needs a complete overhaul. And considering that they don't gain much revenue from the game itself i doubt they want to make that kind of investment.

Some of the game's initial success most likely comes from the fact that there is no gacha for real money, everybody has the chance to get what they want if they invest enough time. On top of that it doesn't use an annoying AP system, sure you need to wait for morale sometimes, but it's not nearly as bad as those AP based games. And of course it has a lot of cute and interesting characters with historical backgrounds. I can imagine there is quite a lot of people who like the WW2 theme of the characters and operations.

As people already pointed out, Kancolle is a huge IP even outside of the main game..... even so, the devs shouldn't slack off. I don't know how they can do it, but if they want to keep the browser game running they need to improve it more than just some minor things here and there. In fact i am kinda worried about the future of Kancolle..... well not much we can do i guess, let's wait and see how it all plays out.

Last edited by Raven2k5; 12-27-2016 at 08:30 PM.

The Evolution

Rep
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Things I'm still waiting for:

1. Wardrobe

2. Zuihou k2

3. New load screen

Rep
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    @Jifaru Heh seems like you set your improvement bar really low. xD

The Evolution

Rep
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    @Raven2k5 Realistic goals. Baby steps :D

Rep
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Though it is just my conjecture, I think that other Dmm games have drawn KanColle players over to their game, somewhat like how it is in this forum. Granblue Fantasy most likely has been doing the same too. Quite a number of artists on pixiv who have/had been drawing KanColle fanart are now (also) drawing Granblue Fantasy and/or Fate Grand Order fanart.

Although I have never played any other Japanese browser game for a long period, other than KanColle, I think it is indeed fair to say that quite little "happens" beside the seasonal events, especially for those who have been playing this game for a long while now. Having more variety of things to do in between said events would certainly be more fun, but it is also important to be able to stockpile resources during these periods for the next seasonal event.

I have been playing this game quite dedicatedly since my first day, 18 March 2014, the day after Iwakawa server launch. Ever since, I have faithfully been clearing the majority of my daily, weekly and monthly quests, grind on almost a daily basis to get into the top 500 at least, and now have over a hundred level 99 shipgirls. This is no place to brag about my "achievements" in the game, but it should not take a "veteran" player to understand that the real fun in playing this game is gone for me. However, I still really love the KanColle universe!

As you have said yourself, the gameplay remains largely the same throughout the game and has remained largely the same through time. I think the biggest "game changer" update in this game was the addition of artillery spotting. I definitely can see anyone else with more real-life commitments and/or dislike against grinds to stop playing the game after a while, but I suppose that counts for every single game. I don't think KanColle is a game you would really enjoy playing for a long period of time, if not for the love of the universe.

During some of the older events, I have complained about the relatively low "difficulty" of the respective events for the more "seasoned" players. The ship lock mechanism and difficulty selection were welcome changes that they have made. However, it seems that they are just stacking Himes at the boss node in the recent events, in addition to the dreaded long maps. To counter the power creep, they have turned the game even more rng heavy. As many other players have already voiced about the development of longer maps, this is indeed going into the "wrong" direction.

Furthermore, I want to add that events have become huge resource drains (mainly due to Combined Fleet, more rng, and longer maps). For my first couple of events, I was able to clear those (on Hard, since introduction of difficulty selection) beginning with, what would now be considered meager, 30-40k fuel/ammo. The amount of resources required for me to clear events has gradually increased to around 100k now. For Warspite, I even had to open up my present boxes to get more fuel. This is also a worrying development for me, since I barely find myself willing to stockpile that much anymore nowadays.

The one thing I want to be changed/improved most is the sparkling/morale mechanism. While it is fine to earn higher yields from expeditions by sending sparkled shipgirls, I greatly despise having to sparkle for an hour for just 2-3 sorties. I doubt anyone likes doing that anyway. It is very, very time consuming, whereas the results feel rather marginal.

In the end, I will probably keep playing KanColle until either my server closes down or my real-life situation does not allow me to. KanColle is the only franchise that has drawn me in very deeply. I doubt there will be any other one in the future that will do the same to me (mainly due to lack of time).

I don't know whether I have contributed to the discussion in this thread with my post, but regardless, this is something that has been on my mind for a long while now and this thread serves as a good opportunity to get it off my chest.

Lastly, Kantai Collection Season 2 when?? :O

- - - Updated - - -

Also, since I have received quite a number of good feedback and encouragement on my event "guides", writing those has become another motivation for me to keep playing this game.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, has anyone spotted Shinano yet?

2 out of 0 members found this post helpful.
    Last edited by Kuropo; 12-27-2016 at 09:03 PM.
    My event guides: Summer 2016 / Fall 2016
    Stream is currently offline: http://www.twitch.tv/kuronia
    Hello to you!
    [+] Spoiler

Hello!

Rep
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    @Kuropo I don't think events have gotten harder in the slightest. There have just been more gimmicks that allow newer players to have a good shot at clearing. If one thing has definitely changed, though, it's the fact that with every new mechanic that is released, the advantage that veteran players have get smaller. The chance for veterans to just get by with minimal resource expenditure is much lower than before because of the resource sinks that semi-standardize minimum consumption.

I know that on a personal level, I just want to get done with things because I've been through hell and back with AL/MI on the highest level bracket as my first whole event, and nothing seems like an accomplishment for me in comparison. And it's very frustrating when I get hung up on mechanics that exist for no other reason than to make you commit more time and resources.

Rep
    Mentioned
    347 Post(s)
    @Kuropo Yeah i can agree wholeheartedly with what you wrote. And i'm in a similar situation. Kancolle was my first browser game and as a once avid FPS and RTS gamer i would have never thought something like this could keep me entertained.... despite all it's shortcomings the Kancolle "World" kept me hooked since early 2014. And even though i started playing FGO recently, i will continue playing kancolle until the game gets shuts down.

With Shinano being the last big IJN ship, it will probably take a while until they release her. :P

1 out of 0 members found this post helpful.

The Evolution

Rep
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jifaru View Post
    @Kuropo I don't think events have gotten harder in the slightest. There have just been more gimmicks that allow newer players to have a good shot at clearing. If one thing has definitely changed, though, it's the fact that with every new mechanic that is released, the advantage that veteran players have get smaller. The chance for veterans to just get by with minimal resource expenditure is much lower than before because of the resource sinks that semi-standardize minimum consumption.
    To start off, I have never thought of KanColle to be a "difficult" game, that is why I always am hesitant to use such terms and use quotation marks when I do. I do understand what you are saying though, although I am not (yet) convinced of your belief.

I agree with you on the "gimmicks" that allow newer players to be able to clear all of the event maps. Though you have not stated those explicitly, I assume you are mainly referring to the aircraft proficiency, artillery spotting, opening ASW attacks, and LBAS mechanisms. While these mechanisms give all players an advantage and newer players profit more from said mechanisms, these require adequate equipment and/or kanmusu levels, with aircraft proficiency being the exception, as it yields flat amounts of bonuses on all planes equally. Take for example opening ASW attacks, which require a fairly high level DD with good ASW equipment. LBAS often requires aircrafts with high operational range, that are not always available for newer players, especially Taitei-chans. I have received comments on my guides from players that were not able to designate air fields to the desired node. There was nothing left for me other than to recommend assigning it to another node where having the aerial support is less useful. In this situation, the gap between newer and more "seasoned" players has rather been enlarged by the LBAS. I believe the same could be said for Abukuma Kai Ni, TP bar draining with Daihatsus, OASW etc. to a degree.

Although it might be just bad luck/rng rolls, the newer events take me more time, beside resources, to clear than it used to. I think this is a better indicator of "difficulty" rather than comparing mechanisms. Speaking of "difficulty" and AL/MI event, Summer 2014 E-6 took me 70 sorties to clear. Indeed, it is my personal record and has yet to be broken. (For those interested: http://imgur.com/a/3AFRC) However, the events in 2016 were mostly "harder" than the ones in 2014 and 2015, I believe.

PS. Congratulations in advance on getting into the top 100 this month! ^-^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raven2k5 View Post
    @Kuropo Yeah i can agree wholeheartedly with what you wrote. And i'm in a similar situation. Kancolle was my first browser game and as a once avid FPS and RTS gamer i would have never thought something like this could keep me entertained.... despite all it's shortcomings the Kancolle "World" kept me hooked since early 2014. And even though i started playing FGO recently, i will continue playing kancolle until the game gets shuts down.

With Shinano being the last big IJN ship, it will probably take a while until they release her. :P
    I didn't even plan on spending money on this game at first. However, it appears that I do have now.. I have only ever bought dock expansions to max 190 (for now) though.
    I wouldn't have expected myself to keep playing this game for this long either. :o

I hope they manage to release Shinano before the end of the game. ;_;
    Though I am somewhat excited to see her in the game, she will just be another ship I grind to level 99 and rarely sortie outside of events, and EO maps perhaps. She probably will just be added to my trophy collection. xD I am mainly curious about her stats, voice and cg of course.

Hello to you!
    [+] Spoiler

Hello!

Rep
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    @Kuropo 20 :)

This will probably be my last month doing this for a long while though, need to focus on my career for the time being.

I feel like the game has definitely moved away from large ships so it might be tough fitting Shinano in in a useful way. Designing capital ships is no easy task either since they're so iconic. MAKE CUTES PLEASE. It's like the only reason I still play this game *licks Saratoga*

Rep
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jifaru View Post
    @Kuropo 20 :)

This will probably be my last month doing this for a long while though, need to focus on my career for the time being.

I feel like the game has definitely moved away from large ships so it might be tough fitting Shinano in in a useful way. Designing capital ships is no easy task either since they're so iconic. MAKE CUTES PLEASE. It's like the only reason I still play this game *licks Saratoga*
    Oh, congratulations on making it into the top 20 then! ^_^
    I have only achieved that once in my teitoku "career", but I do not want to go for that again anymore.. :/

Since this game is somewhat old now, many of the "veteran" players likely have moved on/are moving on from this game due to real-life situations, as witnessed in this community as well.
    Anyway, good luck with your career! :)

And yeah, there are also relatively few large/capital ships compared to the smaller ones. It is a shame though, since I am more a fan of the bigger ship(girl)s. With the introduction of allied vessels, the pool has been enlarged though. I do not mind having them on my roster either. However, large ships = big, long, difficult, rng heavy, resource drain events.

Hello to you!
    [+] Spoiler

Hello!