Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      The Winter2017 event has begun and will end on 28th, Check here for more info.
Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

5-4 Ranking Question

I was looking through all the possible fleet compositions for 5-4 ranking and it seems like the heavy air strike fleet is the most bucket friendly ( as in 1 bucket every few sorties instead of 1 or more every sortie on average).
    However, it uses a lot of bauxite.

My question is for those who use this sort of fleet, how do you sustain the bauxite usage? Considering that you have to run 30 - 40 sorties each day, even with AS+, that is a lot of bauxite.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4322 Post(s)
    @fenrir You could also just use 6SS. That nets you slightly less than 2 ranking points a run if you get B rank. It's also why you see quite a few people with level 155 subs.

IGN
    Tedster59
    Server
    Shortland
    Rep
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I run a mix of various fleets depending on what resources you need and to save, of course with subs mixed in. bauxite saving builds are possible, but you do gimp the air strike a bit. this is the current surface fleet I'm running:

(yes, that's a dupe maya I'm leveling).

Note the use of SCAMP/OTO's in the large slots of each CV. slots smaller than 18 will take 0 losses during fighter phase as long as you have AS+, meaning the only losses you have are bombers (and also a reason why rankers like non-kai Taihou as her slots are perfect for ranking). you can swap one of the CA's for an FBB for even less bucket usage at the expense of more fuel/ammo costs, or a CV(L) with more bombers (and rotate fighters some for even less bigger slots used) at the expense of more baux, and swap ooyodo for other 4 slot drum carriers as they need repairing (keeping your repair docks full is a good way to save buckets).

another fleet I used in the past:

This fleet brings a CVB for better survivability, and KTKM with an opening torp /AACI. the OTO on Zuikaku is just a wildcard since I'm already at the right airpower, and adding another fighter there would be pointless.

5-4 fleets are all about trade-offs. Want less bucket use? bring more bombers (more baux use), or bring more heavier ships like an FBB at the expense of fuel/ammo. want less other resources used? be prepared to spend more buckets on a weaker fleet with less bombers. you can do basically whatever you want as long as it has 4 drums, 2CV(L), and is fast. everybody has their own comps they run, try stuff and see what works for you.

Last edited by Tedster59; 01-04-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    As of typing this post, the fleet composition shown below is the exact one I am currently using to grind in 5-4.
    The flagship position is usually reserved for any Fast shipgirl I want to level (fBB, CV(B), CA, CL, and occasionally a DD).
    Since I have a large roster of level 99 shipgirls, I swap out those who are on the edge of becoming moderately damaged and let them get healed by Akashi overnight.
    I sortie Kongou-class fBBs, Myoukou-class Kai Ni CAs, Unryuu-class CVs, Hiryuu/Souryuu Kai Ni, Mogami-class CAVs almost exclusively for the grinds. These girls are adequate (powerful) enough for 5-4, while having good to decent survivability and relatively low consumption.
    On a daily basis, I grind approximately 40-50 points nowadays, and am still able to gain bauxite without having to spam expedition 6 (even over the soft cap). When I am behind my pc/laptop, I send my fleets to expedition 2, 5 (4 sparkled), and 37/38 (3 sparkled). Overnight, my fleets are sent to expeditions 35 (fully sparkled), 36 (fully sparkled), and 38. Expeditions 35 and 36 have a pretty good bauxite yield.
    Bucket usage is also relatively low with an adequately leveled fleet and by sortieing shipgirls no weaker than CAs. In my situation, I would guess I have to spend one bucket every two sorties on average. Disregarding terrible EO maps (e.g. 5-5), I am still able to gain buckets, albeit at a very, very slow rate.
    I have been doing this for a couple of years now on a near daily basis, with minimal changes to this fleet composition. This is the one that works best for me and I would recommend anyone else using it, if their fleet roster allow it. Occasionally, you will earn a C rank at the boss node after only the daytime battle, night battle should then net you at least an A rank in this very, very, very rare situation however. My fleets rarely go into night battle in 5-4, unless I need to correct that daytime battle loss or when I am "desperate" for Transport kills. Though admiral point yields are lower for lower battle ranks, said yields do not differ much between a B rank and an S rank to justify the extra ammo costs for night battle (and potentially higher repair costs as well).
    Lastly, each of my shipgirls have their equipment "pre-equipped". This allows me to swap shipgirls quickly without having to shuffle around the equipment, except for aircrafts on my CVs.

Last edited by Kuropo; 01-04-2017 at 10:36 PM.
    My event guides: Summer 2016 / Fall 2016
    Stream is currently offline: http://www.twitch.tv/kuronia
    Hello to you!
    [+] Spoiler

Hello!

Rep
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    The bomber spam method is not meant to be a sustainable way to farm the map. It's the fastest way to complete the map in terms of time due to the possibility of skipping shelling phase if everything dies in the airstrike, which is generally desirable for people who are going for top 5.

If you're just doing casual ~100 or ~500, just use SS or 3CV/L Abukuma DD + wildcard

Rep
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    @Leyana @Jifaru Doesn’t 5-4 boss node has 2 compositions that could potentially rekt the subs (especially the CL 2 DD compo)? Wouldn’t it result in a lot of bucket usage if you get unlucky and RNG gives you plenty of that composition?

@Tedster59 Using SCAMP/OTO in the largest slots is definitely a good idea. I find that KTKM/Ooi tends to get damaged so easily and is one of the major contributors to bucket usage. Is that why you have her equip Fumo radar and 5 inch? To trigger AACI as well as boost her AA?

@Kuropo That’s an interesting idea. I have been fixated on using only 6 ships for ranking that it didn’t cross my mind to actually rotate out my ships when they almost reach the moderate damage zone. What do you do when you have all ships near the moderate damage zone? Do you repair them and sortie or just sortie until they gets moderately damage?

Rep
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fenrir View Post
    @Leyana @Jifaru Doesn’t 5-4 boss node has 2 compositions that could potentially rekt the subs (especially the CL 2 DD compo)? Wouldn’t it result in a lot of bucket usage if you get unlucky and RNG gives you plenty of that composition?

@Tedster59 Using SCAMP/OTO in the largest slots is definitely a good idea. I find that KTKM/Ooi tends to get damaged so easily and is one of the major contributors to bucket usage. Is that why you have her equip Fumo radar and 5 inch? To trigger AACI as well as boost her AA?

@Kuropo That’s an interesting idea. I have been fixated on using only 6 ships for ranking that it didn’t cross my mind to actually rotate out my ships when they almost reach the moderate damage zone. What do you do when you have all ships near the moderate damage zone? Do you repair them and sortie or just sortie until they gets moderately damage?
    I am not too fond of the full submarine fleet composition in 5-4, but it is quite resource friendly. Bucket usage is probably higher than the composition I normally sortie though. You will also mostly earn B ranks at the boss node with a submarine fleet, as noted before. If you do intend on grinding 5-4 with a submarine fleet, consider having (multiple) clones/sets of the submarines, unlocking all repair slots (if you have not already), and/or not converting your SS into SSV, as SSVs has twice as long repair times than SSs. Basically, you have to rotate them, swap out fatigued and (moderately) damaged SS(V)s. SS(V)s have quite reasonable repair times, thus if you have multiple "sets", you can rotate them quite efficiently, without having to use too many buckets.
    Keep in mind that I might be "misinformed" in the above, since I have not done the above frequently. I have actually gotten rid of my SS(V) clones and still have only the default two repair slots. However, it is basically the same concept as the one used in 2-3 grinds.

As I have mentioned in my previous post, I do not sortie anything weaker than a CA, that is including CLTs. I only sortie the weaker shipgirls in the flagship position for leveling. As you probably already know, flagships enjoy better protection. CLTs get destroyed in 5-4 quite often even at level 99. Furthermore, I do not recommend that equipment setup on Kitakami, or any other CLT, since it has a relatively low trigger rate and their AA is quite poor as well. This equipment setup renders them quite useless in shelling phase too.
    Since the implementation of artillery spotting, CAs are generally better than CLT in my opinion. Their consumption is very similar too. CAs consume a bit more fuel, whereas CLTs consume somewhat more ammo.

If all of my ships are in that zone close to being moderately damaged, I either continue sortieing them, drop a bucket on them, or just quit grinding for the time being (and let Akashi heal them). It depends on a several factors of course. If I am satisfied with my points gain, I usually just stop sortieing. It takes a while to get to that point where most of them are in said zone though, despite sortieing only a limited few of my shipgirls to grind (see previous post). I consider 1-3 hp above the point of being moderately damaged to be that zone, in which case I swap them out. I continue sortieing shipgirls who are healthier than that until they either become moderately damaged or reach that zone (or until I quit of course). If all of my ships are in that zone and I do want to continue grinding, I will continue to do so without repairing them beforehand, with the exception of CVs, since CVs are somewhat useless when moderately damaged. You might also want to repair Mogami-class CAVs in that zone before sortieing as they are relatively weak.

Last edited by Kuropo; 01-05-2017 at 04:30 PM.
    My event guides: Summer 2016 / Fall 2016
    Stream is currently offline: http://www.twitch.tv/kuronia
    Hello to you!
    [+] Spoiler

Hello!

Rep
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    @fenrir

The submarine fleet is highly volatile but if you have enough to rotate can also be quite resource friendly. It mainly depends on what you are going for since Top500 at least doesn't require a lot of sorties if you have enough time to distribute them over each day.

A combination of top100 or higher and smaller time windows in which you can do runs means you have to do some kind of trade-off in the end. My go to normal fleet is 2CVL, 1x Unryuu, ABK (3 torpedoes), CA and a CAV(drums) since these are easily rotated for other ships in their class. Submarine fleet whenever they are not repairing or having below 40 morale.

Twitch
    Event Stream & VoDs

Rep
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    @fenrir Alternating between surface and sub runs is fairly important because you won't be able to keep your morale up. Sure, you'll get some retreats now and then but it really doesn't cost you anything. Basically, keep 3 of your dock slots occupied at all times just to make sure you get as much out of the sub rotations as possible - they won't cost you any buckets whatsoever and will bring home a good chunk of senka.

I use DDs fairly liberally (Amatsukaze will hit 155 the next month I decide to rank) and it's really not much of a problem. I would not recommend CAV or CL drum holders at all because they have a tendency to ruin your shelling order, resulting in additional damage taken and potential retreats. My preferred setup is 4 drums split between a DD and Abukuma (1 drum, 1 midget torp, 1 triple oxy +9).

The comp I use normally looks something like this, except Abukuma could not be present for the group photo because she was on expedition duty.

Rep
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Thank you everyone for your advice and guidance! I decided to settle on a slightly heavier composition since my primary concern is on saving buckets. I also added sub sorties to supplement the ranking points though most of the time they're there to get rekt.