Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      The Winter2017 event has begun and will end on 28th, Check here for more info.
Bookmark Thread
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

BB gun upgrade question

I've only recently been delving deep into the (important) sub-feature that is Akashi's Arsenal, and have visited some guides but I'm still questioning which heavy guns for BB I should prioritize.

There will be a lot of questions, so please bare with me.

I know all the Proto's are v'important to upgrade, so P41 and 35.6 are for sure.
    But I lack the number of proto guns, so should I upgrade 35.6's for more P35.6?
    I don't have extra blueprints to use on Yamashiro as of now so I'll have to postpone P41 farming to later.
    Which state of upgrade is it best to stop on? +6 or MAX?

Also wondering if I should upgrade 38cm's to 38cmKai.

Foreign guns, such as 381mm, 38.1cm, are they worth upgrading to kai or even using?
    I'm assuming upgrading 46cm are out of question.

If I missed any guns that are worth upgrading, please let me know!

PS. does 20.3(2) actually give accuracy bonus? The wiki says ionly 20.3(3) does but I see some people saying it does and they are worth upgrading. Please let me know.

Completionist goals: Max resources, Max buckets every event(DONE). Kai ni every girls and Kai the rest. Max every single girls' stats. Unlock every normal maps available.

Rep
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    @Reirein

Most of your question regarding the battleship guns should be answered here.

As for the 20.3cm part it refers to the accuracy bonus in night battle. 20.3cm no.3 receive the bonus accuracy while no.2 do not, however it is enough to use one no.3 so you can pair them. (the guide also has some explanation on how to go about this efficiently)

Twitch
    Event Stream & VoDs

IGN
    かぜばね
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    I kind of regretted upgrading my pair of haruna guns to +6 instead of upgrading normal 35.6cms to the P35.6, given how cheap it was.
    @nwrtz 's guide states that its cheaper to upgrade 38cm Kai than a P35.6 from scratch,

If one is to exploit the daily improvement quest (i.e. improve once per day only), it takes only 10 screws (and 10 days) to get P35.6.
    Improving P35.6s take as many screws as improving the 38cm Kais.
    So that's still ten more screws than the 38cm Kai.
    However, P35.6 consumes the relatively common and otherwise useless 35.6cm during improvement.
    The 38cm Kai consumes 41cms which not only is much rarer but it is also consumed by other guns like the P41 and 16" Iowa guns (actually every other non-35.6cm big gun consumes 41cms)

For some reason I'm improving the Warspite guns to the N-version now, kind of regret it again since its so expensive and should have improved the 38cm Kai or for a new pair of P35.6s instead...

By the way, why are P41cms considered easy to obtain ?
    Or is it just saying that most players would probably get the Fusou sisters Kai-Ni early on, so that they'd have their first two copies?

Got stuck and cannot proceed, then you, my first battleship passionately came: Kongou 126/155, 2016-02-28
    LSC Journey | Taihou 2016-06-16 | Yamato 2016-09-03 | Musashi 2016-09-08 | Bismarck 2016-09-10

Rep
    Mentioned
    4320 Post(s)
    @kazenorin I got two of the 41protos from the kai nis and one from some event. It wasn't that much effort getting one more Fusou to 80 for the 4th.

Rep
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    @kazenorin

It does not work like that, after 6* you have to use the slider and the cost increases as well. The actual cost to get one 35.6cm from normal to prototype is 34 improvement material.

Also it actually costs more to improve 35.6cm prototype compared to 38cm Kai. The total for getting one of each to 9* is 39 for the prototype and 36 for the 38cm Kai. So in the end it will cost you 27 extra improvement material for every additional 35.6cm prototype 9* instead of improving the 38cm Kai you get from Bismarck DREI. 27 improvement material is enough to get one additional of either gun to 9* with the daily quest since that adds up to 37.

As for your point about the 41cm being rare, my guide clearly states that they are one of the most important equipment to farm. Furthermore if you follow the logic in the guide it is clear that the 41cm prototype isn't highly rated among the potential battleship guns because they have a limited use.

Any kind of equipment that doesn't come from extremely rare ships is worth far less than improvement material. You can always get another Kongou-class or Nagato-class and grind them for additional 41cm. However the amount of improvement material you can get is finite; they are not farmable.

Last edited by nwrtz; 01-09-2017 at 04:09 PM.
    Twitch
    Event Stream & VoDs

IGN
    かぜばね
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    @nwrtz I understand what you mean about the 41cms now.

As for the 35.6cms, I forgot that it would fail .

However, I've read a post about statistics of Akashi improvement success chances some time ago (The post was probably linked somewhere from Himeuta).

If I remember correctly, the success rates are fairly high, and the on average, one can expect a cumulative failure rate of about 50% to 60% from 6* to 10*. (I know and have tried failing a 5* to 6* attempt though, heartbreaking...)
    And that the success rate for "morphing" from 10* to the new equipment is around 80%.

That's 60% chance of consuming an extra 100% material for the last four tries, or that it takes about 460% the nominal number of screws to get to 10* from 6*, and 120% the nominal for the final improvement.

Given the slider increases screw consumption by 80% to 100% (most roughly costs twice as much, i.e. 800% the nominal number of screws to 10*, and 200% the nominal for the final),

the conclusion was unless an improvement would consume a rare equipment, it was not necessary, since the expected value of screw consumption is lower without the sliders.

Factoring those statistical probability in for improving a 35.6cm to proto,

It statistically takes:
    6 screws to 6* (Actually slightly more than 6 screws, since 5* -> 6* has a very small chance of failure)
    2 * 4.6 = 9.2 screws to 10* from 6*
    5 * 1.2 = 6 screws to improve to proto

i.e. 21.2 screws in total.

Factoring the daily improvement quest in, it's 11.2 screws and 10 days.

Now let's also consider the source of screws, all weekly screw quests except BW9 (which imo is absurd as a weekly) is probably not-so-hard-to-clear and should be cleared if one wants screws.

That's 10 screws per week (according to your guide)

So it takes a little more than a week to get those 11.2 screws, so the bottleneck would still be the 10 days for daily quests.
    One would actually gain more improvement materials while crafting for the P35.6 daily, because weekly screw consumption is lower than weekly screw gain.

This would imply the P35.6 is simply 10 days behind the 38cm kai.

So the decision should be "10 days of not improving anything" or "Consuming at least 12x 41cms".

12x 41cm also is "equivalent" to 4x 30Lv Nagato-class Kai (Mutsu drops quite a lot in 3-3 and 5-4 from my own experience).
    It might be cheaper in terms of time and resources to develop it, but that consumes DevMats.

It should be noted that you at most can improve the vanilla 35.6 three or four times a week, depending on whether you can wait for the 12am JST day-change.
    So for the other three/four days, you'd need to improve something else.

Got stuck and cannot proceed, then you, my first battleship passionately came: Kongou 126/155, 2016-02-28
    LSC Journey | Taihou 2016-06-16 | Yamato 2016-09-03 | Musashi 2016-09-08 | Bismarck 2016-09-10

Rep
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    It's generally not worth converting equipment (for example, 38 into 38kai) unless you've more or less exhausted the value of the upgrades you can get from other areas.

For folks who are just starting out on upgrading equipment, the most important thing is just to start out by getting 2 fit guns for each ship that you're using up to +4, followed with AP shells. Each point of upgrade gives less value than the prior point for main guns in terms of FP and Accuracy (this isn't true for all equipment though, some do provide stats that scale linearly). Converted equipment will lose their stars before upgrading, which means less effective stats, but you still had to spend all those screws anyway. Once you've taken all your relevant equipment to +6~+9, you can decide if you want to invest in equipment conversion for marginal stat gains.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    738 Post(s)
    @Jifaru: Agree. Longer-time players may have old improved equipment though. I started when improvement was implemented in the game. I had 4 already maxed out 35.6cm twin guns from long ago. Right or wrong, decided to convert two to prototype 35.6cm triple (for 4 total) since I had some investment I couldn't get back, and improved or not, 35.6cm twin don't cut it.

Rep
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

(Sorry -- I have nothing new to add)

MIA: None