Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      As a counter measurement to Ad spam, newly registered users are required to create a thread in the Introduction Forum before allowing to be able to reply and create threads.
      Please allow some time for posts to be approved. We thank you for your patience on this matter.
Bookmark Thread
    Rep
    Mentioned
    745 Post(s)

Black MIDI, anyone?

MIDI is one of the more obscure file formats that I've encountered, considering that it's practically unheard of for anyone without a digital music education background.
    I had unknowingly downloaded a Black MIDI version of Necrofantasia in 2013 and (somehow) converted it into a FLAC. It's way beyond the capability of my computer back then, and it probably still is even with my new computer.
    It wasn't until nearly 4 years later that I rediscovered this music again and found out about this kind of remix.

The musical notation is so dense that the note could literally pains the score black. You'll probably need something more than a gaming computer to play it seamlessly.

I wish I could make one, but I'm no musician, let alone a MIDI blacker.
    That said, if I could choose one music from Kancolle that I would like to hear in black MIDI remix, it'll be the Operation MI. (except that they never released any scores for them afaik)

Lacrima Memoria: Graveyard of the Fleet Maidens (May Poi-chan rest in peace)
    Christmas Eve Marriage: Shiratsuyu-Class 1300JST
    Marriage Memoirs with Murashigure
    Current Flower Knight : Oncidium altissimum (Bride of Fos).

Rep
    Mentioned
    1587 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LostLogia4 View Post
    MIDI is one of the more obscure file formats that I've encountered, considering that it's practically unheard of for anyone without a digital music education background.
    Really? I doubt that's true. I thought it's more of an age thing. I certainly grew up normally while being exposed to MIDI without a real musical education.

And I think MIDI is pretty charming. And I probably am really showing my age there.

Rep
    Mentioned
    745 Post(s)
    @Kalinsre Well, that is actually quite subjective. It was occasionally mentioned every now and then in my college, but the only time I've encountered any before the Internet is from some of the education softwares that I've never heard from again after my elementary school years.

Also, I had no access to Internet until 2007 (I was "underage" back then), and even then, I didn't surf the Net to the fullest until 2011 when I had Net connection on my own.

Lacrima Memoria: Graveyard of the Fleet Maidens (May Poi-chan rest in peace)
    Christmas Eve Marriage: Shiratsuyu-Class 1300JST
    Marriage Memoirs with Murashigure
    Current Flower Knight : Oncidium altissimum (Bride of Fos).

Rep
    Mentioned
    1587 Post(s)
    @LostLogia4 <3 Young meat

But yeah. I remember that there were a lot of anime themes made into MIDIs back then. Because it was like dial-ups with about 4kb/s download speed, that was the only kind of music you could afford to download(dial ups often charged you differently based on how much you used it too). And I remember going to those websites that had those for me to download. Nowadays you can just watch a real anime OP on youtube but back then those still felt really special. The whole MIDI transformation thing didn't feel the same as the original obviously but it had its own magic.