Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      The Yura K2 patch maintenance has ended. Check out the patch thread for more information and discussion.
Bookmark Thread
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    @goesto11

vis a vis Kancolle, I tend not to worry. Most of the events simply aren't worth it, as an increasing number of fleet girls are effectively locked behind a ridiculously low drop chance. I play occasionally at best, really.

I get more enjoyment out of series like Re:Creators, frankly.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1004 Post(s)
    @firemagnet: Fair enough. One could just generalize that as well - enjoyment of anime vs. gaming. To each his/her own as the saying goes. I have my issues with the game, but still net enjoy playing KC, but yeah, the "honeymoon phase" is over. Thing is though, there's considerable upkeep if you want to consistently do well (which I do want to do. Put a lot of time & effort and some money into this). Judging by past couple events, all Hard clear - even for final EO map is required to keep up with equipment. Easily best equipment reward in last event was E-5 H reward.

Personally regarding anime, I'm not into that as much as I once was. :/ Interest does ebb & flow just like with KanColle. Don't get me wrong, I still watch some shows and there are some nice surprises which I enjoy, but certainly a number of "meh" or even disappointing as well. LWA is a good example. The OVA isn't typically the stuff I watch, but to my surprise it was a fun light watch. TV anime version just isn't cutting it for a number of reasons = disappointing show. Re-Creators is on the list for sure along with a few others. May not end up enjoying it as much as you, but seems like it will turn out at least pretty good for me.

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1004 Post(s)
    Starting to catch up. Anyone still watching LWA TV? I liked the OVA, but meh, is the TV adaptation off. I guess the plot of the 7 magic words and "evil magic-tech" is OK, but yeesh is the TV adaptation not doing Akko's character any favors. Exacerbating her negative traits (she has some), too little character growth - too little growth in general. She still can't freaking fly a broom (watch that be a plot element in the end), and baka (and not the likeable/adorable kind) bumbling around for getting-old "comedy" because the writers can't give up that "gravy train". 21 episodes in and Diana, arguably Lotte as well, is more fleshed out as a character than Akko. Don't you want your viewers to like your protagonist anime?

Speaking of Diana, I honestly wonder whether whoever is in charge would rather she be the protagonist of the story. In the OVA she had some flaws (hubris, elitist, "Witches are to be feared" line, etc), but TV anime she's little Ms. Perfect, now complete with her own tragic backstory. Hell, the even threw in a "lost ability to do magic" struggle as a youth so she's not solely one blessed with talent and then worked hard with that. Maybe MC Jesus-chan since she sacrifices to save her evil step-mother aunt and her two idiot daughters. There's MUCH less balance between the two characters in the TV anime, and the TV anime is all the worse for it.

To me this is disappointing. There's a feeling of lack of effort with the overall writing. Not just mishandling characters, but just in general like they had maybe 15 episodes of actual plot, and then said screw it, we'll just throw in some padding to get to 2-cours.

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4523 Post(s)
    SukaSuka is starting to get dark and pretty good.

Rep
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyana View Post
    SukaSuka is starting to get dark and pretty good.
    It is, but as of episode 8/9 it's still not a match in tone for Re:Creators. Re:Creators had one of its characters get impaled with multiple swords, and then somehow escape. After crash-landing in a park, the audience is then treated to her producing over a gallon of blood and watches as the light literally leaves her eyes as she goes limp, right as her friend arrives.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4523 Post(s)
    @firemagnet Shhhhh.

Rep
    Mentioned
    952 Post(s)
    Just watched episode 10 of Boku no Hero Academia S2. Two words:
    Holy shit.

Unsurprisingly, it's the same guy who was responsible for the Saitama vs Boros fight in One Punch Man.

Nagato 2015-03-22 / Mutsu 2015-03-22 / Hiei 2015-04-18 / Ooi 2015-05-30 / Musashi 2016-03-13 / Waiting for Tatsuta Kai Ni :<

Rep
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Just watched episode 10 of Boku no Hero Academia S2. Two words:
    Holy shit.

Unsurprisingly, it's the same guy who was responsible for the Saitama vs Boros fight in One Punch Man.
    The manga gets even higher in the HSQ after the tournament arc. Particularly when
    [+] Spoiler
    Deku learns to control and stabilize his power

Re:Creators topped it this week, though. Easily matched BnHA in levels of hot-bloodedness. Ironically enough, you now have all the people on MAL who were whining about "getting to the action" cheering for Magane and whining that Aliceteria is a little idiot.

The sheer amount of mindless shitposting and nitpicking this week in the vein of "Magane is a good character!" (TOP KEK!) and "Aliceteria is so stupid" makes me question whether or not there is actually intelligent life on this Earth, much less in our home dimension. There's comically missing the point, and then there's things so irrevocably stupid that I become physically ill just from reading them. The shitposting is most definitely the latter.

Rep
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    @firemagnet These past of couples of episodes of RE:Creators pushed the show to new heights, Magane became literally the best villain of this season (Possibly of this year too together with Stain from Boku no Hero cuz he's epic as well) And yeah... you can't blame people thinking that Alice is a stupid because in a sense she is... but that's not her fault, blame the way she was written in her story since she's the typical unidimensional character that can only see black and white and she's doing a good job at portraying that trope extremely well, I have hopes that she will have a massive character development just like Mamika had and the she will do the right thing in the end.

Rep
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranesh View Post
    @firemagnet These past of couples of episodes of RE:Creators pushed the show to new heights, Magane became literally the best villain of this season (Possibly of this year too together with Stain from Boku no Hero cuz he's epic as well) And yeah... you can't blame people thinking that Alice is a stupid because in a sense she is... but that's not her fault, blame the way she was written in her story since she's the typical unidimensional character that can only see black and white and she's doing a good job at portraying that trope extremely well, I have hopes that she will have a massive character development just like Mamika had and the she will do the right thing in the end.
    For the life of me, I honestly do not understand why people think that Magane is a good villain. She really isn't. Like Aliceteria, she's very much flat and mono-dimensional as a character, with the least development as a human being. Perhaps my opinion is because I've seen magane's archetype of the completely unrepentant psychopath done so well with Heath Ledger's Joker, but to me Magane's posturing, attempts and philosophy and such give her all the depth of a shallow puddle; at every chance we get to see her, she's being so obviously and stupidly evil that one wonders if she isn't a program in the line of:

while (present == true)
    {
    if (actionA.evil > actionB.evil)
    do actionA;
    else
    do actionB;
    }

Worse yet, we are given the barest hints that there just might be something more to her than a single-minded and hedonistic drive to kill or torture as many people as possible, but these moments are never exploited, much less expanded upon. I've seen Magane compared to iago of Shakespearean fame, but the issue with this is that Magane is too much the stock villain and psychopath. Hers is a role that is by now so generic, and her own ability so powerful that the only way that I can see her is as a transparent plot-mobility device. She's a literal diabolus-ex-machina in human form.

The only time she's thus interesting is when we get to see hints of her growth and dislikes that have actually penetrated beyond her mask of being grotesquely evil. When--for the briefest of moments--she actually seems human. Otherwise, she's about as "good" of a villain as that bowl-cut jackass with the nigh-invincible mech from the first three episodes of Aldnoah Zero. She pales in every respect to Altair, who is actually even more powerful, but what makes Altair "good" is that she is both mildly relate-able and visibly flawed; Altair is self-aware enough to recognize the consequences of her actions, and intelligent enough to maneuver her alliances of convenience. This leads me to my other point about Magane:

Inevitably, the argument I see about her recycled about her in every single shitpost on MAL and elsewhere is that people like her because she's "intelligent" because she's able to "make others her bitches," or manipulate others. My response to this is invariably along the lines of "what are you smoking?" or "just no."

Magane is not intelligent in any sense of the word. The best one could say is that she has instinct. Speaking as someone who is addicted to videogames, and who knows people who are alcoholics or have other addictions, I can safely say that it does not take anything like intelligence or smarts to be able to manipulate others. One merely needs to lie copiously with space for deniability, and do so enough that patterns and responses of the accuser become recognizable and predictable. All of these can be reached by standard deduction and observation that is not beyond anyone and which does not require someone to be particularly intelligent. You simply test and push the limits again and again and once you've learned those limits, you operate within the space that has been created for you, operating on technicalities, deniability, and an almost lawyer-like exploitation of what is not said when rules are set. Which is exactly what Magane does. The only difference between her and any other pathetic junkie is that her power is the ultimate cover. So long as no-one knows exactly what she's doing and makes an accusation of her, she can turn that accusation back upon them with lethal results. For anyone else, the beginnings of an accusation would be damning and force a radical change in actions or patterns to alleviate suspicion, but Magane is immune to this thanks to her diabolus-ex-machina, so she acts exactly like the simple junkie she is, looking for her next high in the form of torturing and killing others to satisfy herself.

Last edited by firemagnet; 06-11-2017 at 11:35 PM.