Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      The Yura K2 patch maintenance has ended. Check out the patch thread for more information and discussion.
Bookmark Thread
Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    @firemagnet That is a very interesting and realistic way of seeing a character, from that point of view is indeed really easy to see Magane for what she trully is and I think you nailed on every single point you explained, she's not the best villain but she's doing a good job to get in the way of everyone and make a mess of the world itself. What I kinda what to see is her getting out of her comfort zone, as you said, once they figure out her powers properly she will have nowhere to run and the face she will make will be priceless.

Rep
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranesh View Post
    @firemagnet That is a very interesting and realistic way of seeing a character, from that point of view is indeed really easy to see Magane for what she trully is and I think you nailed on every single point you explained, she's not the best villain but she's doing a good job to get in the way of everyone and make a mess of the world itself. What I kinda what to see is her getting out of her comfort zone, as you said, once they figure out her powers properly she will have nowhere to run and the face she will make will be priceless.
    That's why I disagreed with you about her being the "best" villain or even the villain of the season. She just doesn't stand out from other archetypes that have come before her. For me, what she is is simply too clear. There's nothing particularly mysterious about her.

She is, however, changing. Specifically, her powers are slowly broadening in the scope of what she can use as a "lie against a lie" to trigger her ability. Specifically, when she
    [+] Spoiler
    took Hangaku from Yuuya, he never outright denied that she could take Hangaku away from him. At most he said "I'd like to see you try" and "what did you say?" Unless Amazon has fucked up with its translations again (in what would be the third time doing so).

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1004 Post(s)
    Caught up with a few shows.

Re Creators: it's good, but there are a few issues. Ep. 10 I guess was the "ML redemption" episode, but gotta lot of work to do there. He's a frustrating character and not in a good way IMO. Alice(? - the knight girl) is as dumb as the come. Ep. 06 she totally doubts Magane - a "poisonous liar", but when Mahou Shoumo dies, she just takes her word at face value. Yeah, it might have been half-truths, but essentially she goes from "I don't trust you" to buying into Megane's bluff for the plot's sake. >_> I'd have to go back and check with greater scrutiny, but seems there's some playing fast & loose with Megane's ability to turn lies inside out and truth or whatnot. I mean, if she blathers on and your response is "f**k you" and that's it, now would she have any power? Just don't get into banter with her. Also a lot of plot convenience with Megane. She always just happens to be around when it's advantageous for her. Just so happens to be the first to reach Mahou-Shoujo girl so Alice can be duped. Well, gotta put the protagonist in a pinch I guess. OH! I did like the bit about how Mahou-Shoujo decided to be the character she was created as. Give s some agency and depth there. Too bad she had to die. RIP.

As for the whole debate on Megane, I wouldn't say she's the best-est most epic-est villain every, but I don't think she's bad either. What's the quote? "Some just want to see the world burn"? I think she's above average. She's not stupid. She is cunning which does take some intelligence. On the other hand, some of her adversaries fall prey a bit (too?) easily to her words. As for Altair, either I missed it in the rush to catch up or her powers are not really explained. I just HOPE that now that we seemingly have gotten past ML drama, he'll be forthcoming on what her powers are. Also, I wonder how much meta/hidden message there is with the dialog about criticism of shows & such. Kind of felt like the screen writer(s) were making a not so subtle point.

Also caught up on Zero Mahou and Alice, though not sure if anyone is watching those. Doesn't seem to be anyone watching LWA. Well, not missing a ton there, though last episode of LWA had a YMMV twist on things.

Still got Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasuka (SukaSuka) and 2-3 more though. As for Suka-Suka, I guess it gets dark from comments, though personally "dark" does not always = good. Totally depends upon the story, setting/tone, etc. Rather than "dark"/feels for feels sake, etc, I wonder how interesting it is (as subjective as that may be). The first two episodes really didn't do much for me. :/

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

Rep
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goesto11 View Post
    Caught up with a few shows.

Re Creators: it's good, but there are a few issues. Ep. 10 I guess was the "ML redemption" episode, but gotta lot of work to do there. He's a frustrating character and not in a good way IMO. Alice(? - the knight girl) is as dumb as the come. Ep. 06 she totally doubts Magane - a "poisonous liar", but when Mahou Shoumo dies, she just takes her word at face value. Yeah, it might have been half-truths, but essentially she goes from "I don't trust you" to buying into Megane's bluff for the plot's sake. >_> I'd have to go back and check with greater scrutiny, but seems there's some playing fast & loose with Megane's ability to turn lies inside out and truth or whatnot. I mean, if she blathers on and your response is "f**k you" and that's it, now would she have any power? Just don't get into banter with her. Also a lot of plot convenience with Megane. She always just happens to be around when it's advantageous for her. Just so happens to be the first to reach Mahou-Shoujo girl so Alice can be duped. Well, gotta put the protagonist in a pinch I guess. OH! I did like the bit about how Mahou-Shoujo decided to be the character she was created as. Give s some agency and depth there. Too bad she had to die. RIP.

As for the whole debate on Megane, I wouldn't say she's the best-est most epic-est villain every, but I don't think she's bad either. What's the quote? "Some just want to see the world burn"? I think she's above average. She's not stupid. She is cunning which does take some intelligence. On the other hand, some of her adversaries fall prey a bit (too?) easily to her words. As for Altair, either I missed it in the rush to catch up or her powers are not really explained. I just HOPE that now that we seemingly have gotten past ML drama, he'll be forthcoming on what her powers are. Also, I wonder how much meta/hidden message there is with the dialog about criticism of shows & such. Kind of felt like the screen writer(s) were making a not so subtle point.

Also caught up on Zero Mahou and Alice, though not sure if anyone is watching those. Doesn't seem to be anyone watching LWA. Well, not missing a ton there, though last episode of LWA had a YMMV twist on things.

Still got Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasuka (SukaSuka) and 2-3 more though. As for Suka-Suka, I guess it gets dark from comments, though personally "dark" does not always = good. Totally depends upon the story, setting/tone, etc. Rather than "dark"/feels for feels sake, etc, I wonder how interesting it is (as subjective as that may be). The first two episodes really didn't do much for me. :/
    1.The male lead is frustrating, but he has his reasons for being so, given that he feels responsible for the death of a friend and he's ashamed. It's very difficult to talk to about that with anyone, and I can say that from having observed people who are like that. You don't talk because you're afraid of being judged and you don't know who to trust.

2.As for Aliceteria, the knight.........she genuinely cared for Mamika, but she accepted Magane's explanation at face value because she was already prejudiced against Meteora. In the simple logic that she was written with by her creator--sculpted from years of fighting against an inhuman enemy--there is only those who are with or those who are against her. So desperate is she to fulfill what her narrative has set out for her that she'll blindly swallow lies if it means she can destroy her enemies. She's not stupid so much as she is utterly blind.

3. Magane's ability is played increasingly fast and loose as time goes on. The bookkeeper accused or called her out her directly, as did Aliceteria, but Yuuya's first denial was more abstract and his second wasn't a denial at all. Which suggests that her power is either broadening or she's smart enough to do her own research. The latter is far more disturbing. That being said, I still stand by my criticism of her. She's too flat, completely unchallenged, and comes off as the generic monster of the week. She'd be better if Heath Ledger's Joker hadn't already done what she's sort of trying to do with far more menace, wit, and guile.

She always just happens to be around when it's advantageous for her. Just so happens to be the first to reach Mahou-Shoujo girl so Alice can be duped.
    which is why my general comment about her is that she's a transparent plot device. OTOH, this may suggest that the world is slowly adapting to the logic required to maintain the characters. We also don't see how or if Magane is consistently tracking the other characters, TBH.

5. Altair's powers are creation and deconstruction, in all their applications. From what we know, she can transit between worlds, summon other characters, create clones, and deconstruct weaponry and machinery--but only of the created. She can't do that to the real world--yet. It's best to think of the whole thing as a hard disk onto which profiles and programs are loaded, with the profiles being the creators and the programs being the created. I find that it's easier to understand that way. Note her reference to the "pillar" of the world. The way she speaks of it suggests that she doesn't just intend to destroy the world, but to recreate it in her own image. The problem is that she has the ability to do it, too. To refer again to the analogy of a hard drive or computer, her objective is to crash the system by forcing the other programs to perform logic errors and--before the system can reboot and remove the offending data--purge the system and load new data from her own source.

Rep
    Mentioned
    547 Post(s)
    So I had been catching up with Season 2 of Shingeki no Kyojin / Attack on Titan. I absolutely loved Season 1 and had gotten into the manga as well.

Season 2? 10 episodes into the season and it hasn't really gone anywhere. The episodes relied on a very high amount of flashbacks and recycling scenes from Season 1. It's fine for that moment or two but man, when episode after episode wastes a lot of precious time, it gets really annoying. It's fine for a season opening episode to get us back up to speed, but this was repeating itself through every episode. The animation is still great and beautiful in presenting the manga in animated form. It brings out the feeling of distress at the points of the manga's events. But it's like we're on a treadmill running around but going nowhere.

"Haze Grey & Underway"
    - World of Warships Profile ; Warships.Today -

Rep
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Mitscher View Post
    So I had been catching up with Season 2 of Shingeki no Kyojin / Attack on Titan. I absolutely loved Season 1 and had gotten into the manga as well.

Season 2? 10 episodes into the season and it hasn't really gone anywhere. The episodes relied on a very high amount of flashbacks and recycling scenes from Season 1. It's fine for that moment or two but man, when episode after episode wastes a lot of precious time, it gets really annoying. It's fine for a season opening episode to get us back up to speed, but this was repeating itself through every episode. The animation is still great and beautiful in presenting the manga in animated form. It brings out the feeling of distress at the points of the manga's events. But it's like we're on a treadmill running around but going nowhere.
    That's the reason why I'm not watching Season 2. Having read the manga, I know everything that's going to happen so there's no point.

Rep
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    SNK S2: "Saving Cadet Eren", that's literally what the season is about, I'll stick with the manga as well from now on.

IGN
    ことなの
    Server
    Iwagawa Breakfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    7754 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Mitscher View Post

Yeah the manga had a small bit of action early then it just became a political mess so bad it's more about politics than the fact there's giant shit walking around eating people. I mean there's still some really good battles that come about but they are so scattered and between giant walls of talking and nothing that it's incredibly slow. This is why i'm surprised it got a season 2 because really the bulk of the first third is so uninteresting after the initial opening that it's depressing.

Last edited by KotoNano; 06-12-2017 at 03:47 PM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KotoNano View Post
    Yeah the manga had a small bit of action early then it just became a political mess so bad it's more about politics than the fact there's giant shit walking around eating people. I mean there's still some really good battles that come about but they are so scattered and between giant walls of talking and nothing that it's incredibly slow. This is why i'm surprised it got a season 2 because really the bulk of the first third is so uninteresting after the initial opening that it's depressing.
    You mean it tries and fails to do what Re:Creators did because the first season set the bar too high? Why am I not surprised.

Rep
    Mentioned
    1545 Post(s)
    Didn't really get the drive to watch titan S2. I read a little bit of the manga after I finished S1, and I'm fairly certain that in 13 eps they aren't gonna cover anything substantial. Kinda wonder why this isn't a 26er like season 1.