Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Summer event 2017 has started. Check out the patch thread for more information and discussion.
Bookmark Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    @firemagnet That is true, I wasn't expecting this kind of massive character development and we still haven't hit the 10 episodes mark yet, that makes me excited for the things that might happen in the future, what happened with Mamika at the end gave me the feels and it makes me wonder if more Created will come to the real world. I mean we're talking about a show with 20+ episodes so knowing these kind of animes there's no way the current cast will manage to survive till the end entirely, some people will have to die and we might get replacements for them... personally I wouldn't mind seeing more villains hanging around in the real world, Altair is really cool and all that but I'm not sure she's the true final boss of the show... there's always a bigger dog out there after all.

Personally and I agree with many is that Mamika is really one of the best characters of this season, she puts many mahou shoujo into shame with this kind of development.

Rep
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    @<a href="http://himeuta.org/member.php?u=8859" target="_blank">Kranesh</a>

This guy's review of the series so far is worth watching.

https://youtu.be/kwS1mX_Clfw?t=386

FWIW, he's right. Re:Creators writes its characters "poorly" in order to build upon them, explore or address concepts of narration and storytelling, and Mamika is the omega prime example of this. In just the span of the four episodes that she appears in, she visibly evolves from a generic childrens' show character who sees only in black and white and who forces her opinion onto others into someone who is fully aware of her constraints and her yoke; a young woman who is fully aware of what she represents and the logic that she was created with, yet who willingly went to her death, knowing that it was a likely outcome because she knew that to do so is just. This makes her death and the cliffhanger that it represents all the more poignant and, in as much as I have seen, elevates her above every single other character from the Mahou Shojou genre--including Nanoha and Snow White of Mahou Shojou Ikusei Keikaku.

If that's not good writing, then I don't know what is. She stands head and shoulders above an already notable cast of characters whose conversations and nuance and use for affectionate parody of their respective genres already makes Re:Creators a diamond in the rough.

Then, of course, we have the cliffhanger itself. Just wow. Mamika's naivete and determination already made Altair's predictable reaction and the clash between their personalities have that much more impact. However the last 45 seconds just nailed it; Altair's rant, with all the implications of what she actually might be*, and Mamika's final act of unyielding defiance and determination left me wanting more in a way that no anime has in recent memory. Probably not since Rebirth of Evangelion, Full Metal Panic the Second Raid or Outlaw Star have I so yearned to see the continuation of a series and what it has in store next.

*Amazon's translations are off. Souta in episodes 7 and 8 implies that what Altair (Gunpuku no Himegimi) hates is not just the world, but him specifically. Like him, she sees him as responsible for Setsuna's death. So her actual objective in summoning the created is the ultimate revenge. She intends to use what Souta and Setsuna loved to destroy everything that means something to Souta. Including the world in which he lives. In that respect, I believe she's actually a twisted mirror or alter ego of either or both Souta and Setsuna-- a sentient vessel, if you will, for their negativity.
    This theory seems to be supported by Altair's rant, of which Amazon's translation lacks nuance. My own translation, based upon my limited knowledge of Japanese:

"You pretentious bitch. What could you possibly understand? How could you understand her feelings? What could you understand of her sorrow and resentment? You couldn't possibly understand this pain."

Compared to her usually calm facade, Altair simply goes berserk. For someone who is usually tightly controlled, Altair's outright rage is so raw that it's hard to believe that she's anything other than Setsuna's alter-ego or a physical manifestation of her dying resentment and rage at the world. To be fair, Altair always had a massive ego and a more-than-merely-obvious messiah complex. Yet Mamika's suggestion that she might understand Altair's creator seems to have hit far too close to home for this merely to be a bond between creator and created.

Last edited by firemagnet; 05-28-2017 at 06:49 AM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    @firemagnet Yup, praise Rei Hiroe for such good writing, I honestly can't see anyone else making the script for a show like this one considering there are many good writers in the industry... althought I have to say that thank god the butcher is not involved. Now I want to see what's gonna be the aftermath, Altair really snapped pretty bad as you said so she's probably gonna lose her stance more often considering the "harsh" words Mamika said to her because she's blinded by sorrow and hate, she's a cool character so I hope she gets a pretty good development as well.

Rep
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Gonna file this under: "you know that you've done it right and made a masterpiece when in the span of four episodes you get this reaction from ten different youtubers":

[+] Spoiler

Last edited by firemagnet; 05-29-2017 at 03:39 AM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4619 Post(s)
    We madoka now boys.

Rep
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyana View Post
    We madoka now boys.
    Pun intended, emphasis on the mad part?

The actual videos themselves are hilarious. Especially top center with the sunglasses and the guy on the left in the middle row with the white headset in screenshot 5. The way they all go "oh shit!" when
    [+] Spoiler
    Altair impales Mamika
    is one for the records. Even better is when the episode ends and the title card comes up after
    [+] Spoiler
    Mamika nukes altair
    . Their universal frustration at the cliffhanger is just glorious. As I said, you know you've done it right when you can get that sort of character growth within four episodes and get people to react that way to said character.

Rep
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    @firemagnet I am addicted to those reaction compilations, they're priceless XD

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1156 Post(s)
    Seems like a lot going on with Re Creators. I think I'm now a solid month behind all shows >_<. So I guess RIP AoT (read manga so at least know what happens), Granblue, and a couple others this season. Is Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasuka any good, or can I safely put that one off as well?

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

Rep
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goesto11 View Post
    Seems like a lot going on with Re Creators. I think I'm now a solid month behind all shows >_<. So I guess RIP AoT (read manga so at least know what happens), Granblue, and a couple others this season. Is Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasuka any good, or can I safely put that one off as well?
    Shuumatsu is good. I haven't watched it in a bit; Re:Creators as of episode 8 is officially anime of the season for me. Beats even AoT out by a solid mile.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1156 Post(s)
    @firemagnet: In the overall scheme of things. definition of "1st world problem", but gah! I'm really behind. I guess I'll keep Shuumatsu in cue. As for Re. Creators, certainly some buzz, but can't give an opinion. Hell, I'm not sure the last episode I watched (pretty much the case for most shows >_<). From what I can tell, AoT S2 is doing a good job with adapting the source material, but it's AoT, and like any series YMMV on how good that is. Berserk (which I do plan to still watch) has the additional issue of dubious visual presentation, but again with that I'm spoiled so it gets put down the list.

I took a quick look at Summer offerings and at first glance there didn't seem to be much that interested me so perhaps having a backlog won't be too bad. Gives me something to watch if there I few Summer shows which interest me. OTOH, certainly I will be going "dark" for anime watching once KC Summer 2017 rolls around. Is it too early to panic for that? LOL.

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.