Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Fall event has started. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      New Forum "Azur Lane" has been added to User Suggested Forums
Bookmark Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    Rep
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Oh, apparently amazon fucked up again:

in episode 12, Aliceteria states of Magane: "まみかを看取ったあの黒狐の様な" which google translates as "like that black fox who caught/took care of mamika." The verbage, when parsed, clearly states that this is "caught" or "take care of" in the sense of caring for the ill or injured. Yet Amazon translates this as "killed mamika."

They also fucked up Altair's conversation at the end, where they speak of Aliceteria helping her creator escape. Amazon translates this as Altair noting that it "played into our hands," whereas the correct translation is her literally noting that it "plays into the enemy's hands." This is the fourth or fifth critical translation error that Amazon has made (that we know of) with relation to the plot line and how characters view each other.

I'm not impressed, and FWIW that "quality" of translation--which even mediocre fansubs outdo--is most definitely not worth paying for.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)
    As previously posted, behind on shows and not watching a lot. FWIW, my thoughts on what I caught up on/watched.

LWA: Might be the only one here watching this, but whatever. Short version = OVAs are clearly better IMO. This wasn't bad, but it definitely had a number of issues IMO (could easily write 1000+ words on it). Overall disappointing. It can be difficult to do a show like LWA over a long period such as 2-cours, but it can be done and LWA TV just didn't rise the occasion.

DanMachi Sword Oratoria: Technically not over, but seen enough to comment. One, this just feels flat to me. Two, f**king Lefiya. She just doesn't work for me, and she has such a large role - larger than the LN I believe (not 100% sure, but think that's right). Bad decision by the anime if that's the case. Three, the difference with DanMachi is that this feels less cohesive, like a few stories thrown together rather one main, linear story like DanMachi. Also, it’s just easier to make a more compelling story when your MC is level 1 and dirt poor than pretty hax and lives in a huge mansion. Four, I think there are some adaptation issues. I've read comments (which I can verify from the bit I've read of the LN), that the show is cutting out too much of Aiz internal dialog which is definitely needed for her type of character. TL:DR - kind of dull/just there. I don't hate it, and watched because I like the series and Aiz, but meh.

Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism: Not AOTY/AOTS levels, but this did surprise me as I had low expectations going in. I almost didn't watch this at all. Nomura was a good ML IMO and so was Rin as FL. Liked both of them. There were also 3-4 others in the cast I liked as well. That's always a plus. This was a fun, easy watch type show for me. Could have used a more time though for character background & development. For example, Tsukuyo didn't get nearly enough time. Still, it worked well enough for what it was. I'd watch a 2nd season.

Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou: I liked this quite a bit early on, but by the end it lost me a bit. While I'm not one who thinks "darker is always better" (it can be, just not always), this show had a bit of an edge to it early on but the lost it and felt more pedantic. Honestly, it was kind of dull by the end. Zero is still one of my favorite FLs this season and Merc is pretty solid as ML. The two have good "on screen chemistry" which to me is the strength the show. Albus never did much for me TBH, and 13 was surprisingly bland. Second half or so, I found the show a bit dull at times and certainly anti-climactic. 13 just gives up. "Oh, that's not what Zero wants (and he should have realized that a lot sooner, but the plot demanded otherwise)? OK, I'll just stop." Exciting? Frankly, the finish, though as expected, was rather weak & unexciting as well IMO. However, I would watch a 2nd season though because the way it ends implies at least a good chunk of S2 would be Zero & Merc adventuring on their own which is the part I liked best this season.

Alice to Zouroku: While BSM surprised me to the upside, this might have surprised more and I went into this neutral rather with low expectations. This just worked for me, and like all good shows, ended with a strong finish. It did take maybe 3 episodes to get used to the tone, and the switch between battle mode and straight up SOL in earlier episodes could be a bit jarring. However, certainly by mid-season I was immersed in the story. Yes, it's SOL and light-hearted/not grim-dark Elfen Lied. Do not care. I found it endearing, thoughtful at times and surprisingly funny. They did a great job with Sana from visual (incl. reaction/reaction faces) to voice acting. Sana made the show IMO which is key because this IS all about Sana. It's her story (even says as much at the end). There was even some thoughtful "RL issues” stuff at the end which was handled well. It never felt "preachy", overbearing or forced. Solid, good show and glad I stuck with it after an OK first episode. I don’t think this is set up for a second season, but would definitely watch if there was one.

Re Creators: I'm not as high on this show as some here, but have to give credit where credit is due. It's a good show. Has some flaws, but a good show nonetheless, and an importantly an interesting one. A recent plus is that it seems one issue I had is resolving. Alicia? Alice? (the knight girl) finally seems to have kicked her brain into gear. Makes for a better character and looking forward to seeing what she ends up doing. Probably dying rather than joining Team Protagonist (which I wouldn't mind) – maybe both, but still curious. Big advantage this show has is its concept. It's a good one so kind of have to screw things up for it not to work. Definitely in for next season.

Bahamut - Virgin Soul, Tsugumomo and Granblue Fantasy were all drops. Wasn't a huge fan of Bahamut S1, and S2 wasn't as good as S1 (certainly not the first 1/3 or so of S1). Tsugumomo was OK. Definitely had an "old school" vibe to it, but also felt very standard. Also from reading comments, I got the impression I’m better off just reading the manga. :/ Granblue was meh for me. Maybe it worked for others, but it felt very generic and there was no "hook" at all to keep me watching. Forgot about this. Clockwork Planet was also a drop. One of the apparent minority who didn't just love NGNL, but I didn't so perhaps not surprising this didn't do anything for me. ML was very meh, and the "comedy" didn't work for me at all. The "B" characters (the genius girl and her sidekick) were OK, but I thought the story had issues and nothing grabbed me enough to stick with it.

SnK/AoT S2 & Berserk S2 were "got behind, not enough time to catch up yet, and spoiled anyway" drops. Less than ideal visuals or not, I’m enough of a Berserk fan that I do plan to watch all of S2. Not sure about AoT. While I'm not as down on S2 as some, I’m also not the biggest AoT fan and spoiled as well.

Last edited by goesto11; 06-29-2017 at 02:08 AM. Reason: addition.
    Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4753 Post(s)
    Whoa. This season went by in a flash. Was too caught up helping update the wiki to talk much here but here are my final thoughts:

AOTS:
    Re:Creators - There's been a strong showing of shows this season but there can only be one top. Re:Creators has it all: a top notch soundtrack, an engaging story, compelling and interesting characters and amazing animation. The characters start of as basic stereotypes ripped out of their stories but then they convincingly grow and become more genuine. My one complaint so far is how the affably evil schoolgirl functions so much more like a force of nature to force extra conflict where there isn't a need for it. Other than that the show is a treat to watch so definitely give it a try.

Must Watch:
    Alice to Zouroku - At first it tricks you into thinking this will be your standard 'evil corp chases experiment while it runs away' story, but instead it turns out to be a sweet coming of age drama. Of course there is still a bit of the evil corp thing in the first few episodes and scattered around but that falls to the wayside in exchange for watching the MC learn to be a normal child. The trails she goes through trying to do so make some great watching and the softer moments will make you go hnnngh.

Sakura Quest - This is a very upbeat and quirky show. I really like the way it's going but it falls short because it doesn't really have a strong driving force. Sure there is the overall plot but the show still feels episodic as they try to use one whacky hijink after another to fulfil their objective. That said, the hijinks aren't there just to entertain you, each one drives the character development of each of the main girls. It does take a while to come together though so perhaps the 2nd cour will redeem it.

Tsuki ga Kirei - This was the show that I would've also classified AotS. It feels so dreamy and fluffy and captures the essence of first love so well. Right down to the stupid fights, the awkward communication and the stupid decisions you make. I must say the way the couple bumbles about to finally getting together was so awkward that it was downright cute. It made me feel so much hnnngh. This is one show that you definitely need to watch. Double down on that recommendation if you actually like love stories.

Uchouten Kazoku 2 - If you ask me, the original Uchouten should have definitely been 2 cour. The second season brings a more to the table and finally wraps up a lot of plot threads. We finally get to see the happily ever after finale and the final battles. The petty small town politics is still there as is the various plots they get up to. I must say that this climax was long overdue and it really does elevate the first season along with it.

Natsume Yuujinchou Roku - One of the stronger Natsume seasons. It still maintains the ethereal nature of the show but more focused this time. This means less episodic monster of the week formats and more episodes focusing on Natsume and his relationship with his friends. It also finally moves the story forward a lot which is welcome after what seems like ages of meandering. You don't need to watch the first 5 to know what is going on but you do to understand character motivations.

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata Flat - This season knocks it out of the park with the drama. The first half is more of the first season with the funny back and forth between the characters. But the second half of this season kicks it up a notch as it really dials the drama up to 11 then keeps going. The conflicts are amazing and the eventual resolution leaves you hungering for a next season. Also Kato continues to prove she is the best girl bar none.

Atom: The Beginning - I was apprehensive of whether they could keep up the animation quality through the whole season but they did. The story is pretty standard but the characters are interesting and the animation is gorgeous enough to keep me watching. It all plays out like it came straight from the 80s. Because well... it is a prequel to Astro Boy after all.

Boku no Hero Academia (2017) - Another strong showing this season. The pacing got a little slow at times but still brisk enough to not bog down. I really like this cour by cour format for long running manga. Overall a good shounen show with interesting heroes and villains.

Worth a Watch:
    Tsugumomo - Surprisingly this show is a pretty faithful adaptation of the manga. Though with a lot less fanservice for obvious reasons. The art and animation itself could use a bit to be desired but the story and characters are engaging enough to carry the show. I mean it is standard shounen fare but decently executed shounen fare.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations - What I really like is how different the kids are from their parents. It's almost like having a stable family during peaceful times is good for young development. But anyway, it's a shounen show and the important bits (by which I mean the action sequences) are well animated. Not much can be said of the overall plot which feels quite... 'filler'. But I suppose that is to be expected of anime original stories to shounen manga now.

Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism - I must admit, I didn't really like this show too much at the start but it really does grow on you. After the initial 'wtf is this shit' has worn off, the show ends up being quite fun when it takes itself seriously and it ends up being battle after battle. The last bit of drama at the end comes out of nowhere though and really needs a bit more foreshadowing. Other than that, the butchering of real martial arts styles was kind of amusing and the MC that gave no fucks was a bro.

Seikai Suru Kado - The story and overarching plot is what stands out about this show. The animation leaves a lot to be desired and I think that the show could've done a lot better without the CG. That said, there are some trippy moments that are really what CG is for and it pulls those off nicely. That said, I'd have like it if the show did expand more on the consequences and implications of the 'gifts' given to humanity. I mean after what a big deal it made about 'humanity's choice' and 'advancement' it sure does end up focusing more on the character drama.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul - Yeah, this show starts of pretty weak for the first few episodes. But it does step it up in terms of action and the stakes towards the end. Though the story is kind of standard with the heroes being set against the evil empire, there is enough of grey for it to be interesting. Like for example, the powers the evil empire is oppressing were actively against the population of the empire in the first place. So is it so bad that the demons and gods are denied? Watch and come to your own conclusion.

Eromanga-sensei - I hate myself for liking this show but goddamnit, it's so well executed that I do. Despite my personal opinions that most of the characters belong in the trash, the interactions between them are pretty engaging. It helps that the animation and character designs are good. That said, I can see the author clearly masturbating in the background. Even more than OreImo.

ID-0 - This is a cheesy romp through space that is pretty decent. I must say the characters aren't that interesting but their origins certainly are. Though that was because of the various questions raised by use and abuse of the consciousness projection technology. The CG animation is great for the mech forms but ends up looking just eh for the humans. But what is really engaging about this show is watching them as they run from the authorities that knows they have something they want and how the naivety of the MC gets in the way as usual.

Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasuka? Isogashii Desuka? Sukutte Moratte Ii Desuka? - Not knowing any better, I initially wrote this off as some more harem trash. But then the story decided to give me a kick in the balls with a bootful of tragedy. The show is reminiscent of Saikano but with a more... 'caretaker' than 'lover' dynamic between the MC and most of the cast. The history of the twisted world coming to light was also a gutpunch and the MC breaking down was great too. Definitely a compelling watch. Though that cliffhanger ending left me hurting for more.

To Pass the Time:
    Granblue Fantasy The Animation - It feels like a standard romp through a fantasy setting. The one thing this show has going for it is the pretty art that looks like it was ripped from an early Final Fantasy game. Nothing much beyond that. If you enjoy fantasy, adventuring and gathering a party; then give this a shot.

Idolmaster Cinderella Girls Gekijou - You're really only going to be into this show if you like Idolmaster Cinderella Girls. It's nothing but moe and lolsorandom antics.

Roku de Nashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records - This one more or less plays out like a harem show, though the building of the harem is much slower than usual and does focus a lot more on other conflicts. Still, in the end it comes down to the MC helping the girls out and then earning their love. Yadda, yadda you know the drill.

Oushitsu Kyoushi Haine - This one ended up being a surprising watch. I was expecting yaoi bait but ended up with a proper character drama. Still nothing really special to set it apart.

Sagrada Reset - This show has one of the most convoluted plots this season. This makes it really hard to follow without rewinding multiple times to pick up hints or waiting till the end of the arc when the magician reveals his trick. That combined with the flat acting made this show feel like so much work.

Berserk (2017) - Say what you will about the cel-shaded CG, but it's still a Berserk show in the end. Lots of action, lots of gore.

Clockwork Planet - Yet another harem show. I was really disappointed at the way they translated the manga art into anime. I was also really disappointed with the animation quality overall. It still maintains the humour and dialogue from the manga but that's about it. The story for the anime was pretty simple and the underlying plot is promising but requires a lot more than a season to really take advantage of.

Kabukibu! - Turn back now if you expect the Rakugo treatment for Kabuki. In my opinion, there's not nearly enough focus on the art itself and a whole lot of focus on the usual high school club stuff. I get that it's standard that you need to pull the Kabuki club together but cmon. Just focus more on the performances.

Kyoukai no Rinne (2017) - Every season that goes by, this show falls lower and lower. The quality is still the same but god damn, 3 seasons of the same thing with nothing improving is getting seriously stale.

Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho - I was looking forward to this because of Yoshinori doing the design. But everything else leaves a lot to be desired. It's a standard fantasy show with standard fantasy tropes. The plot twist at the end was pretty good though.

Fukumenkei Noise - After a full season of this side by side with Tsuki ga Kirei, this show failed to impress. All the drama is still there but drama stemming from people who cannot articulate how they feel to the viewer just makes me want to grab them and shake them hard. The music is good though. Very hard rock.

Stay Away:
    Ren`ai Boukun - By the end of the show I disliked each and every one of the characters in it. Most of the problems are caused by either one of two particular morons going off and doing whatever the fuck they like. All of them are fucked in the head in some way and all of them need to go kill themselves.

Hinako Note - This show is just moe with no redeeming value. I get that you're supposed to be cheering the MC on as she overcomes her shyness but she's so one dimensional it hurts. Then there's the not-Konata character with a character quirk that disappears after the first episode and never get mentioned again except in the OP and one off jokes. This show just smacks of design by committee and cynical cash grabs.

Twin Angel Break - A very standard mahou shoujo. Like this is what you'd get if you bought a MS lego set.

Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatte Iru Darouka Gaiden: Sword Oratoria - Yeah I know that I said the show was better without Bell. But they managed to fuck that up too. First by adding Elf-chan, second by still letting the main story play a significant part in the show. I was expecting something like Railgun where the main story was a mere shadow.

Sin: Nanatsu no Taizai - Pandering softcore porn trash.

Dropped:
    Henkei Shoujo
    Gin no Guardian
    Monster Strike Anime
    Souryo to Majiwaru Shikiyoku no Yoru ni...
    Warau Salesman New
    Frame Arms Girl
    Kenka Banchou Otome: Girl Beats Boys
    Room Mate

IGN
    Trickster
    Server
    Palau Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3103 Post(s)
    @Leyana hmmm plotwise, Hinako Note failed instantly. But I watched for the "moe" and to ward that salty feeling during that season (so many bias and gacha post here and there)

My view aside:
    *I read Clockwork Planet in the LN and got utterly disappointed on what they did in the anime. I only snoop around cuz of that loli but soon after that I drop it right away.
    *Idolmaster Cinderella Girls Gekijou is pretty much as obviously stated, came straight from the 4koma series. They really retain the same artstyle in the 4koma and was good worthwhile to watch to kill time.
    *Eromanga-sensei ,I read both the Manga and LN of this and already had high expectations on how it will go... And I swear they did it so perfectly. I'm checking here and there that a lot of people saying that the cast seem belong in the dumps but I assure they end up watching it till the end. why they sh*tpost when they finish it in the first place?

I probably should finish Re:Creators.

Lord Paramount of the High Gardens. [Flower Knights pomf'ed: 140]
    Flower Knight Girl ID: 221329971 (DMM)
    Shiratsuyu-Girls:
    Shiratsuyu, Shigure, Murasame, Yuudachi, Harusame, Samidare, Umikaze, Yamakaze, Kawakaze, Suzukaze

Rep
    Mentioned
    4753 Post(s)
    @dandan550 Because Eromanga is done well but yet characterised terribly. It's one of those things that you know is pushing your buttons but you can't stop because it pushes the right buttons so well. In the end you finish it and you hate it and yourself. Kind of like doing meth.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)
    @Leyana: "OT", but thanks for all the work on the wiki & stuff.

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

IGN
    かぜばね
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasuka? Isogashii Desuka? Sukutte Moratte Ii Desuka?

Recently finished this, and is probably my favorite anime of the past 4 seasons.

It's a perfectly harem setting but with no sense of harem what-so-ever at all.

Bit of tragedy, bit of silent romanticism (whatever that means), detailed characters, and an interesting world.

Note: I generally dislike harem settings.

Got stuck and cannot proceed, then you, my first battleship passionately came: Kongou 126/155, 2016-02-28
    LSC Journey | Taihou 2016-06-16 | Yamato 2016-09-03 | Musashi 2016-09-08 | Bismarck 2016-09-10