Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Saratoga mk2 patch is here. Check out the patch thread for more information and discussion.
      Visitor messaging is temporarily disabled.
Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    IGN
    Shepard
    Server
    Kanoya
    Rep
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KotoNano View Post
    I think this goes to show just how varied Japanese VA are expected to be, being able to pull off multiple characters without sounding the same; while american ones they just hire another actor to do the role instead. English VA don't have the ability to sound different so they sound exactly the same series to series frequently which is why people call dubs awful.

it also begs to question just how many (extra) VA they are going to pull in, seeing as a lot of shipgirls have the same VA.

That should answer your question :)

Wo-san... why won't you come to my base?

You don't get it do you? It's a SHIP that launches Ship GIRLS! It's going to cause a rift in the space/awesome continuum!!

Rep
    Mentioned
    467 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murrue View Post
    Oh man... the cringe is real....

Well it's not necessarily the fault of the english VA's. After hearing the japanese voices for 3 years almost every day it's simply weird seeing those characters and hearing a different voice.

The Evolution

IGN
    ExtraCrunchy
    Server
    Harashajima
    Rep
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murrue View Post
    Egad, my poor ears. Some deep part of my subconscious yearns to stab me right now. That wasn't as bad as I expected, but it's still jarring.
    Kongou without an English accent (even a faked one)? 2 thumbs down!

I generally think KanColle isn't a very good vehicle for mining the human condition, anyway. It's a mostly light and fun place where the maps are named after food and people speak in catchphrases. - Some guy on Danbooru
    "We were somewhere around Rabaul, on the edge of the Bismarck Sea, when the bauxite began to take hold."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoshimaru View Post
    We're someone's fanfic that went viral after all.

IGN
    Hoshimaru
    Server
    Saiki Bay Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    @Raven2k5 I've heard worse, but I lived through the 4Kids era, so even a mediocre dub sounds pretty good to me after the memories those abominations burned into me.
    And really, could we ever expect anything good to come of it?
    We get handed the short end of the stick a lot.
    We're someone's fanfic that went viral after all.
    ill give it a shot. If for no other reason than morbid curiosity.
    After all, if not for that, I'd never have come here in the first place.

IGN
    ことなの
    Server
    Iwagawa Breakfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    7798 Post(s)
    @Impstar_Deuce They need to fire whoever decided the font. I can't actually read half hte names there.
    I don't recognise any of the names which may or may not be a good thing. I only remember the awfully terrible english VA and the really good ones (who end up mostly being male anyway)

also... side characters that have maybe one line in the entire series are listed too with a unique VA? Really... do voice actors in the west have such a low range of change they can't put on a voice for 2~3 lines total?

Two things will never happen:
    Yuzuki getting added or Kagero-class K2.

Rep
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Someone uploaded the first two episodes of the english dub to an anime watching website.

I tried. I really did try tolerating it. I might get the BD box out of respect for the Japanese VAs, but the english voice acting is an abomination. When Yuudachi's english VA says "poi" she sounds like a fish gulping down water. No joke.

I swear that I can feel cancer cells growing in my body every second that I listen.

Edit:

Nagato, Shimakaze, and Ooyodo are shockingly appropriate. English scriptwriters eliminated a lot of the verbal tics, too, which is good given that most of the audience that might watch this likely hasn't played the game.

Last edited by firemagnet; 05-18-2017 at 03:03 AM.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1331 Post(s)
    @firemagnet: Dub quality is not surprising. Even if there is an English dub for some anime, the vast majority of the time I'd rather have the original voicing and read subtitles. There are a few exceptions of course.

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

Rep
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goesto11 View Post
    @firemagnet: Dub quality is not surprising. Even if there is an English dub for some anime, the vast majority of the time I'd rather have the original voicing and read subtitles. There are a few exceptions of course.
    Trigun, Full Metal Panic, Full Metal Alchemist, and Outlaw Star. Watched those when I was much younger, before I really got into subs, but the voice acting for those anime is so much better than what's currently available.

edit: watching episode 2. Sendai's VA is shockingly appropriate, at least when she's voicing tired Sendai coming back at dawn.

edit 2: the interaction between Ashigara and Yuudachi makes me physically ill. They would have been better off eliminating Yuudachi's "poi" tic altogether for the english dub.

edit 3: Ooi and Kitakami's VAs have captured them perfectly. Particularly Ooi when Naka touches Kitakami.

edit 4: Episode 1, Kongou has a southern/midwestern accent. There's nothing even remotely British about it.

VA quality and scripting is too varied to make purchasing the box set worthwhile if one is going for english VAs. VA quality ranges from mediocre (Fubuki, Mutsuki, Hiei, Naka, Tone, Chikuma, Akagi, Kaga, Atago) to good (Shimakaze, Nagato, Sendai, Ooyodo, Ooi) to downright cringe-worthy (Ashigara, Yuudachi, Kongo, Inazuma, Ikazuchi, Hibiki). Hibiki's "khorosho" is so lazy one wonders if the VA was falling asleep while saying it.

For all that they tried, Funimation's scripters and VAs simply did not study the source material enough, and were unable to capture the essence of the characters in their VA selection. If itunes or Amazon has the episodes in Japanese only available for purchase, then I'll buy them. Functionally, however, Funimation's import, well intended as it was, is useless and worthless without a good import of the game itself and dedicated time taken to play it, study it, and get a feel for the characters. I believe that they would have been much better off had Kadokawa/Diomedea brought in the original cast to vet any VAs for a Kancolle adaptation.

1 out of 0 members found this post helpful.
    Last edited by firemagnet; 05-18-2017 at 07:03 AM.