Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Saratoga mk2 patch is here. Check out the patch thread for more information and discussion.
      Visitor messaging is temporarily disabled.
Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Hmmm. So many shows I haven't and probably will never watch the dubs for... At least it seems they haven't C-listed it as hard as I thought they would, for principles.

Of course, I'm waiting on my Burning Love to give my prejudiced "might watch" / "complete crap" judgement...

Rep
    Mentioned
    4733 Post(s)
    @PrimarchBentley Speak of the devil.

Commander
    Rep
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Ironically the only shows that I am currently looking forward to (Besides This) is Wararu salesman and Id-O

Rep
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    @Leyana I am... surprisingly accepting. I'm not unfamiliar with the name, even though I don't really follow the Eng VA scene. Also, looking at her roles, I can't say I've actively disliked any of her performances I'm familiar with, even potentially ear-clawing roles such as Merle in Funi's new dub of Escaflowne (with the understanding that, of course, Merle will be Merle...). Sure, she's no Kira or Monica... but the choice doesn't hit my rage button either.

Rep
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Makes me wonder if [Panpakapaaaaan] turns into [BANZAAAAAAAAAAAAAI]
    or whatever becomes of -nanodesu.

Since May 29, 2015
    LSC's High Five - Yama 1st get, Musa 3rd (randomly) get, Biscuit 5th get, Taihou 9th get, 401 attempts = 0...got 4 from event
    Retiring from LSC Oct 5, 2015
    1yr-old post

IGN
    Shepard
    Server
    Kanoya
    Rep
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Funimation posted the first trailer:
    https://youtu.be/lf6Aj3PjOIo

Nagato, Fubuki and Akagi sound fine but Kongou... I think I'm going to hate Actually English Kongou

Wo-san... why won't you come to my base?

You don't get it do you? It's a SHIP that launches Ship GIRLS! It's going to cause a rift in the space/awesome continuum!!

IGN
    ことなの
    Server
    Iwagawa Breakfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    7798 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyana View Post
    @PrimarchBentley Speak of the devil.
    I think this goes to show just how varied Japanese VA are expected to be, being able to pull off multiple characters without sounding the same; while american ones they just hire another actor to do the role instead. English VA don't have the ability to sound different so they sound exactly the same series to series frequently which is why people call dubs awful.

it also begs to question just how many (extra) VA they are going to pull in, seeing as a lot of shipgirls have the same VA.

- - - Updated - - -
    @Impstar_Deuce

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

Sorry about that.
    ayy funi lmao.

Two things will never happen:
    Yuzuki getting added or Kagero-class K2.

IGN
    Murrue
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1535 Post(s)

Rep
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    That trailer tho, it's almost like it will be the best abridged series of the year so far XD

Rep
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimarchBentley View Post
    @Leyana I am... surprisingly accepting. I'm not unfamiliar with the name, even though I don't really follow the Eng VA scene. Also, looking at her roles, I can't say I've actively disliked any of her performances I'm familiar with, even potentially ear-clawing roles such as Merle in Funi's new dub of Escaflowne (with the understanding that, of course, Merle will be Merle...). Sure, she's no Kira or Monica... but the choice doesn't hit my rage button either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranesh View Post
    That trailer tho, it's almost like it will be the best abridged series of the year so far XD
    That trailer. The disinterest. The lack of vocal inflection in the narrator. I had to abort the trailer after less than ten seconds because it was giving me goosebumps due to how bad the voice-acting was.

Furthermore, the series isn't relevant without the ability for large western audiences to play the game. I'm surprised that Funimation thought that it would be worthwhile to release it.

Edit: I suppressed my nausea to watch the trailer.

"based off of the hit game phenomenon"...........that was never released outside of Japan, and still requires a VPN to register for, which involves faking personal information.

Fubuki: appropriate, sort of.

Naka: Can't tell

Poi-boat: Can't tell.

Nagato: Meh. That being said, her english voice is closer to her actual in game voice, which is considerably softer than her animated JP voice.

Kongou: ................................................Sh e's supposed to be British. Where's the British accent? Nao did a better job here.

Akagi: Not appropriate at all. She should have a voice that's closer to her Japanese CV, and emphasizes the depth of her character and spirit. Tirado's voice is just too soft. Someone closer to Tara Platt (Vert's VA in the Hyperdimension Neptunia series until Megadimension Neptunia VII) would have been more appropriate.

As a general rule I don't watch anime in english anymore. One reason is because of the release times (2+ years). The other and primary reason is that, other than legacy shows such as Outlaw Star, Trigun, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Panic, english voice acting simply isn't character appropriate anymore. It's also really bad these days. Compare the CV for Miho in Girls Und Panzer versus her english VA. I had to force myself to watch the english version of Girls Und Panzer because how bad the voice acting was. I'd only bought it in the first place because I liked the original show so much.

Last edited by firemagnet; 04-19-2017 at 01:52 AM.