Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Summer event 2017 has started. Check out the patch thread for more information and discussion.
Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2214 Post(s)
    I hope that if Suzuya does get a CVL convertible remodel it goes the way of the other convertible kai nis where one form is just a stat buff and the other is the gimmick form.

married suzuya on her birthday : 20/11/15
    married shoukaku : 12/1/16
    add me on battlenet for overwatch and stuff : Penguinmafia#2808

Newly Registered Hyper Shinchan's Avatar
    Server
    Shortland Islands
    Rep
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    @Penguinmafia To some extent Kasumi is an exception, she can equip the FCF in her regular form, which I personally consider more useful than the large radar gimmick of the alternative form, she's my flagship of choice for transport fleets during the events.

IGN
    ことなの
    Server
    Iwagawa Breakfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    7794 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goesto11 View Post
    Is this early? Seems early. I was expecting the Spring 2017 event in early May, but if notices are given out say a month in advance, it's sooner than I expected. Ugh. Hope it is early May because I need all the time I can get to stockpile after equipment crafting spamming.
    It's April on Saturday. Early May being the first or second week would likely be 5~6 weeks. It's pretty likely to be the 2~3rd again like last year. Earliest it'll be is 3 weeks, we're going to get Suzuya K2 before the event and Kumano after.

@Hyper Shinchan Kasumi's K2 selection seems quite backwards. All the gimmicky stuff is also with her higher-stat total initial form while her alternate is a stat drop,loses some of her gimmicks and.. just gets a bad AACI. I think they really screwed up somewhere with her.

Also spring event hype _(:3 」∠)_

Last edited by KotoNano; 03-27-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Wake me up if Yuzuki or Fiume get added

IGN
    DLRevan
    Server
    Kanoya Airfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    843 Post(s)
    @Hyper Shinchan Yet they really had no plans to do so. The needs of the combat theater meant that even if the ships under study were to return for overhaul and repairs, they could not be out of action for that long, neither did they have the resources to do it alongside other essential shipbuilding. Thats what I mean by it was never worth it, the fact that thy looked at converting all their larger ships to carriers is otherwise well-known. Nothing specific can be pinned to Suzuya or Kumano except for their close similarity to Ibuki. Beyond a few studies, no plans were ever drawn up, as far as we know.

To go from that to pinning Suzuya specifically as a a CVL conversion is quite a stretch, even with the link to Ibuki. Suzuya/Kumano's design was meant to be the base line for all subsequent heavy cruiser designs, including Ibuki, instead of Tone (which interior-wise is also practically a sister pair to Suzuya/Kumano than Mogami) and are still well-enough different to belong to a new class.

I'd also point out this study, along side many others pertaining to various other topics such as the viability of rushed standard carrier production, were pretty optimistic. Everything was over-optimistic by the time, when the IJN was engaging in a collective exercise of grasping at straws. Other classes built with conversion in mind took on average 11-12 months to be fully converted to CVLs.

Murakumo 17th June 2015
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Touch Fluffy Kumo

Server
    Shortland Islands
    Rep
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
    @Hyper Shinchan Yet they really had no plans to do so. The needs of the combat theater meant that even if the ships under study were to return for overhaul and repairs, they could not be out of action for that long, neither did they have the resources to do it alongside other essential shipbuilding. Thats what I mean by it was never worth it, the fact that thy looked at converting all their larger ships to carriers is otherwise well-known. Nothing specific can be pinned to Suzuya or Kumano except for their close similarity to Ibuki. Beyond a few studies, no plans were ever drawn up, as far as we know.
    How is their conversion into aviation cruiser different?
    Quote Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
    I'd also point out this study, along side many others pertaining to various other topics such as the viability of rushed standard carrier production, were pretty optimistic. Everything was over-optimistic by the time, when the IJN was engaging in a collective exercise of grasping at straws. Other classes built with conversion in mind took on average 11-12 months to be fully converted to CVLs.
    Chitose was converted in little more than 10 months, taken in hand on 23 January, recommissioned on 1 November 1943 according to CombinedFleet; Chiyoda took 10 months as well (Japanese wiki says it lasted from 16 January to 26 November 1943) . It doesn't look much worse than their estimates and they're pretty good comparisons considering how they similarly didn't require the exchange of the machinery.
    Quote Originally Posted by KotoNano View Post
    @Hyper Shinchan Kasumi's K2 selection seems quite backwards. All the gimmicky stuff is also with her higher-stat total initial form while her alternate is a stat drop,loses some of her gimmicks and.. just gets a bad AACI. I think they really screwed up somewhere with her.
    Agreed, but I'm nevertheless quite happy with the baseline form. The only thing I really like in the K2B is her art, I kind of regret marrying her without converting her once again for the occasion.

Last edited by Hyper Shinchan; 03-27-2017 at 08:06 PM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4630 Post(s)
    @Hyper Shinchan The conversion to CAV was much less extensive since they only needed to get rid of one turret instead of you know, rebuilding the entire goddamn superstructure. Here's what would've happened to Tone for comparison:
    [+] Spoiler

Here's what I found from a JP source:
    "After Midway, a study was undertaken to determine the feasibility of converting ships into carriers. The Tone and Mogami classes were short listed to be converted into CVLs with dimensions of 195m x 23.5m and a capacity of 30 planes. These refits were expected to take 9 months. Ultimately, the plans were scrapped in favour of converting Ibuki that was still under construction. It was decided to convert the Mogami into CAVs instead."

If you ask me, having a CVL with 30 plane slots would be the shittiest thing ever. Even Houshou has 41 slots ffs. If Suzuya K2 is really a CVL, she had better fucking get more plane slots than planned.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1173 Post(s)
    @Leyana: True, but question is WILL it be early May? Again, need all the time I can get here. Got to build up bauxite along with more ammo (and fuel, though fuel is better since was spamming 46cm & Type 32 RADAR crafting).

As for Suzuya, I agree. I'd rather she and Kumano stay as CAV. We could use more CVL kai ni with the CVL we already have.

Quote Originally Posted by KotoNano View Post
    It's April on Saturday. Early May being the first or second week would likely be 5~6 weeks. It's pretty likely to be the 2~3rd again like last year. Earliest it'll be is 3 weeks, we're going to get Suzuya K2 before the event and Kumano after.
    Hopefully early May per above, especially if a large event (which I'm expecting). FWIW, my initial guess was May 3rd, 4th or 5th, but now I wonder.

Last edited by goesto11; 03-28-2017 at 01:19 AM.
    Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

IGN
    ことなの
    Server
    Iwagawa Breakfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    7794 Post(s)
    @goesto11 Well habits with "soon" mean it's around ~ month away. They give a more proxi date "late april" or "early may" in this case if it's closer. They give the exact date around 2 weeks before the event so there's still 4~ish weeks before the event. This is the early warning siren basically.

@Hyper Shinchan Yeah have to say Kasumi's K2 has just a few nicer touches. I adore Asashio's K2-alternate and keep her as it, even if overall her base K2 is really good. I guess I have Ooshio/Arashio to fill the stronger DD role so she can just stay as the cute one.
    I mean I married Satsuki three weeks before her K2 and had wondered if I should wait, instead I just went with it no regrets.

Wake me up if Yuzuki or Fiume get added

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1173 Post(s)
    @KotoNano: True, though two weeks notice really isn't enough anymore. I guess I'll just go into full stockpile mode April 1st and hope that will be enough if Spring Event is as I expect. :/ Meh, that being said, I cannot afford not to do 1-5, 2-5, 3-5, 4-5 & 6-5 medal runs either (NEED improvemats). LOL. Is it too early to panic?

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

Server
    Shortland Islands
    Rep
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyana View Post
    @Hyper Shinchan The conversion to CAV was much less extensive since they only needed to get rid of one turret instead of you know, rebuilding the entire goddamn superstructure.
    The issues brought up by DLRevan nevertheless apply, just like they apply to basically every so called "what-if" K2 in the game, they even went to the extent of putting an armoured deck above the Shokaku class, which wasn't even planned as far as I know, in comparison actually carrying out a study discarded because of operational needs and lack of materials wouldn't really surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyana View Post
    If you ask me, having a CVL with 30 plane slots would be the shittiest thing ever. Even Houshou has 41 slots ffs. If Suzuya K2 is really a CVL, she had better fucking get more plane slots than planned.
    Why would you expect them to give her 30 aircraft when Chitose Kai Ni, whose historical counterpart similarly carried 30 aircraft, has 59?