Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Fall event Maint will start on 17th Nov. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      New Forum "Azur Lane" has been added to User Suggested Forums
Bookmark Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Rep
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geirhildr View Post
    Tho' i've already read the manga, Made in Abyss final episode's still really hard to gulp xD
    Great adaption overall. I really like the final episode, like some random minor point when Nanachi plucks those watershrooms off, the pain may be far more than ep10 (as Riko was almost unconscious), but that is the pain of joy, of being alive "again". they kind of put emphasis on that scene, and i really appreciate it.

Time to catch up the manga, i stopped reading it after the anime airing 'cause i really wanted to take my time with anime xD
    I've started reading the manga myself. Finishing Hajimete no Gal. I'll see what else I can pick up.
    @Kranesh:

The ending of Koi no Uso was a profound disappointment. After the love of his life confesses her love to him, does he a) choose her, since he loves her, or b) choose his assigned wife, who he also cares for, though not to the extent of his first love?

[+] Spoiler

No, he goes for option c) let's choose them both, in the standard ending of every harem anime ever. I felt like screaming "No, you daft little shit, what the fuck are you doing?"

Rep
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    @firemagnet That it's exactly what I felt when I watched the last episode of Koi to Uso, I'm glad I wasn't the only one XDD

Rep
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranesh View Post
    @firemagnet That it's exactly what I felt when I watched the last episode of Koi to Uso, I'm glad I wasn't the only one XDD
    I'm honestly finding it difficult to get into Made in Abyss, though. Three episodes in and it feels more sluggish than recreators was.

Rep
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    @firemagnet Don't worry, it picks up in later episodes.

Rep
    Mentioned
    4753 Post(s)
    Season is now over so here are my closing thoughts.

AOTS:
    Tsurezure Children - This is far and away the show I found the most enjoyable this season. With a fantastic and colourful cast of characters that are a joy to watch. Despite the size of the cast, they are all recognisable and distinct. The short format was perfect for a show like this by concentrating all of the drama, comedy and heartwarming bits without letting any part grow too stale.

Must Watch:
    Kakegurui - After they added some consequences to the show I found it a lot more enjoyable. Also after I stopped taking the characters seriously and started treating it like Jojo it became a lot better. All of the characters are insane and it's amazing. There is no overarching plot that I can see, just the MC wanting to scratch her gambling itch and walking over everyone to do so. The expressions on their faces and the super ham acting is top of the line so just give this a go.

Isekai Shokudou - I didn't expect much from this at the start but it did exceed my expectations. It turned out into a lovely little slice of life anthology centred around the restaurant. Despite what the title says, the food really just takes a backseat to watching the lives of the patrons as they drift through the restaurant. Worth checking out if you like comforting slice of life shows.

Ballroom e Youkoso - Now this show had me on the edge of my seat. The animation is fluid and the sound direction is great. The moments when all sound cuts out by the sound of their feet on the dance floor just heightens the tension. The overall plot and story is just your basic sports anime "newbie finding a talent and getting good" shtick but really well executed. The character designs are a bit... CLAMP-y which is weird with the Haikyuu character art. At least their body proportions are better defined.

Made in Abyss - This show was a close contender for AOTS. It starts off like a normal adventure story and then becomes downright horrifying and heartbreaking. The chibi art and colourful palette is deceptive because you will cry like a little bitch in the 2nd half of the show. This is definitely one show you do not want to miss.

New Game!! - Pure concentrated moe and I love every second of it. It helps that there is an overarching plot to drive things but what I really love this show for are the character designs and interactions. Despite the totally fair criticism of "All female game development company wut", I'm brushing that aside because all of them are so damned cute.

Worth A Watch:
    Enmusubi no Youko-chan - It's a Tencent show so keep that in mind going in. The animation and character designs are uh... pretty bad. But I did enjoy the story and comedy in the show. It is one of the better shows to come out of Tencent's catalogue so I hope they do get better at this. Always nice to have animation coming from more cultures.

Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e - I said this was an OreGairu ripoff at the start and I stand by my words. That said, they did take it in a really dark and edgy direction. Which isn't something bad since it adds a new dimension to the story. The mind games and plot twists really do make the show and the other characters are in the spotlight enough that the invincible superman MC doesn't grate on my nerves.

Fate/Apocrypha - The quality animation is there alright but boy did the characters come off as disposable. I am of the opinion that Fate has jumped the shark with this team v team grail war crap but it is executed well enough that it's still a worthwhile watch. One of the more disappointing things is that a lot of the servants and masters don't get a lot of screentime to flesh them out. I suppose with only have the show done there's still time for that though.

Katsugeki: Touken Ranbu - Another decent action show that is worthwhile because the animation is oh so good. It's another reimagining of the Touken Ranbu game but with a more serious tone this time. The swordfighting is smooth and fast but I felt that the character drama bits were dragging the pace of the show down. Another complaint is how the power levels were inconsistent throughout the show with one character nearly selling his life to fell an enemy one episode and then effortlessly cutting that same enemy down later.

Action Heroine Cheer Fruits - This one feels very much like Love Live with a plucky band of girls trying to save their town. This one focuses more on building a successful super sentai team than idols so it has that to distinguish itself. That said, one of the girls is basically just Kotori. It feels like a retread of things you've seen before when they're putting the team together but I still like to watch them do it. It's the same story with this show as for both the Love Live incarnations, you just want to cheer the girls on to see them win.

Hitorijime My Hero - Yeah this is the yaoi show but it's a well done yaoi show. This is up here purely because you rarely see a well done yaoi romance so if you are curious then have a look. That said, replacing one partner in either pair with a girl would not make any of the show different at all.

Shoukoku no Altair - A very grounded drama with light politics sprinkled in. Lots of intrigue and lots of slow going. What I like about this is how it spares no punches with stomping all over the MC's idealism. What I like even better is the MC actually growing the fuck up and reconciling his idealism with the harsh reality of how things work. That said, when I said slow going, I really meant slow going. The show doesn't start to pick up until 5 or 6 episodes in. Then it goes off with a bang.

Centaur no Nayami - I don't usually like monster girl shows but this one is an exception because barring a few freaks, the rest look mostly human. It's a standard moe slice of life show with some good comedic moments. My biggest complaint about the show is how heavy handed the bullshit 'biology' and 'sociology' lessons given are. I almost thought the writer spent come time at UCLA. Also the main goat-girl and the angel-girl are the best girls by far.

Princess Principal - It started off good but then suffered towards the end when it devolved into an 'operation of the week' setting without advancing the plot all that much. They spent way too much time delving into the backstories of all the girls. This made the last 3 episodes feel like they came entirely out of left field. That said, the animation and character designs are still great and they really nailed that steampunk/magitech atmosphere.

Hajimete no Gal - Yeah it's an ecchi show that is blatantly pandering fanservice but it does a lot more than that. It's a pretty good romance show underneath the panty shots. Definitely give this one a go if romances are your thing. Also the fat fuck needs to die.

To Pass The Time:
    Koi to Uso - This show had a promising premise but then didn't do much with it. The wishy washy MC that tries to keep both the girls happy instead of manning the fuck up also pissed me off. But that said, the characters were well acted and it even included an agonising unrequited love from an unexpected angle.

Hina Logi: From Luck & Logic - Another moe show but this wasn't quite as good as New Game or Centaur. For one, some of the characters annoyed the hell out of me. For another, there was no real overarching plot to proceedings and I felt that it hurt this show rather than helped it. There was also quite a few loose ends that weren't satisfactorily resolved at the end. I get the feeling that this was a show that got cut short.

Senki Zesshou Symphogear AXZ - I have no idea when Symphogear will jump the shark but I think it's going to happen soon enough. The cast keeps growing and the MC keeps getting thrown into more and more ridiculous situations. Also can't forget how their powers keep getting invalidated every new season and they have to get a new powerup. This is becoming very Dragonball very fast. Still the music keeps me coming back.

Saiyuuki Reload Blast - Damn I forgot how slow and plodding Saiyuki was. But the latest season reminds me of that. The years must've stripped all but the action bits from my memory because wow does this get slow at times. Watch this if you've already started on previous seasons. Don't need to pick this up if you haven't.

Dive!! - A sports anime that doesn't quite stand up to the hype of Ballroom. It mostly focuses on the character drama while touching on the sport just a little. If you ask me, they just expect you to know the intricacies of diving and don't bother explaining anything. While I get that it wants the viewer to focus on the character's dilemmas, it's really hard to feel engaged when you can't grasp what the real stakes are or wtf is going on.

18 If - A super trippy show that tries to deal with some serious issues. It's very episodic so you'll need to watch it all to get a grasp on things but there is a thread connecting everything. I like how the MC is the epitome of chaotic neutral and just does whatever his internal moral compass tells him is right. Be aware though that the animation style does drift from episode to episode.

Konbini Kareshi - This one is a generic romance show that doesn't really do anything special. The best description is high school romance soap opera. Still it's not entirely bad. The character designs are good and the story goes well with it.

Tenshi no 3P! - I'm sure you're automatically added to several lists once you watch this show but it's probably worth it. I like the music and at least the MC treats them like little sisters and doesn't go super creepy. Give it a go if you want to see cute girls doing cute things but be warned to not watch this around anyone else.

Stay Away:
    Knight`s & Magic - I called it masturbatory trash at the start of the season and it has not done anything to disprove me of that notion. I still kept watching it because "Fuck yeah, mecha!". Unless you really like mecha that much, this is a terrible show storytelling wise. The character designs are ok but nothing to write home about. Aside from the one-on-one battles the mecha fights felt a bit static barring those that came down to the MC pulling out some new bullshit gimmick to roll over the enemy.

Jikan no Shihaisha - A rather disappointing action show that doesn't really do anything special in the end. The characters aren't really memorable by the end of it and the animation of the fights was eh.

Keppeki Danshi! Aoyama-kun - Just about as meme as Sakamoto-kun and just as funny too. Which is to say, it was painful to watch.

Youkai Apart no Yuuga na Nichijou - The cast came off as being rigorously designed to be as interesting as possible but due to that were really flat.

Vatican Kiseki Chousakan - I must admit, the premise was intriguing at first but then it devolved into a super cliche noire horror/murder mystery flick. After the novelty wore off from the first case, the rest were just boring for me.

Gamers! - Everything shitty about romcoms and misunderstandings condensed into one show. I couldn't stand the MC at the start and I definitely wish he'd get punched by the end. Fuck.

Dropped:
    Battle Girl High School
    Aho Girl
    Nana Maru San Batsu
    Netsuzou Trap: NTR
    Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni.
    Clione no Akari

IGN
    ことなの
    Server
    Iwagawa Breakfield
    Rep
    Mentioned
    7802 Post(s)
    @firemagnet That's because it's genuine world building and foreshadowing that's very well done. Most of the stuff mentioned comes up again in one form or another. Or did you miss the part where once she's gone down she can't go back up? You need some ground of what's "normal" for the characters you can't just throw them headfirst in the situation because that's not what true adventure stories are like.
    The pacing is one of the shows good points, it's not rushed in any place "just to get somewhere" or "to keep the action going" because it's not an action show.

Two things will never happen:
    Yuzuki getting added or Kagero-class K2.

Rep
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Since i'm a world-building sucker, i instantly got amazed by MIA world (just like some recent titles Hakumei to Mikochi, Dungeon Meshi, Tongari Booshi no Atorie, Kyoukai Senjou no Limbo..) that i don't care about characters at all (actually these titles have really good characters imo). But maybe you feel so disconnected with character especially Riko, since there's noway a child wants to go into abyss at all cost like that. If that is the case then it's explained later, something's called Abyss complex.

In defense of Knight's & Magic: LN or manga ver is very details, they explain the world concept, magic stuffs, how to build mechas, trial and error.. Despite cliche characters, plot.. i really like Knight's & Magic but it's hard to recommend the anime. It's terrible, sooo rushed, mech was built like it was a 3D printed figure, no characters, no explain shit.. instead it got some fan service scenes. Actually it has some ok theme, but it was so disconnected with its scene.

Last edited by Geirhildr; 10-03-2017 at 02:00 PM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    @Geirhildr

Got friend said the same thing to me, it's another joke of ITS ANIME NEVER EXIST all over again......a shame really since the concept the world ITZ MECHA LOGIC all are actually good.....only can last about 4-5 eps before I totally drop and forgot about this.

Kinda agree with Leyana on MUST WATCH, MADE IN ABYSS and ISEKAI SHOKUDOU made me watching quite number of animu series again, though I'm sure there will be different though about Isekai Shokudou since it got nothing of bloodboiling nor fanservice of sort (which I kinda get sick of and make me hiatus from animu)

AHO GIRL actually is fine watch, just simply SHUT YOUR BRAIN and ENJOY the IDIOCY, cuz its FUN to be STUPID!! (I mean.....checkout who is the author....)

Tzuredure children is good but in the same time is probably bad to those who hates the cliche genre. I love reading the manga strip so obviously I enjoyed the show, sadly they erase few girls.......

That's my 2 cents since Leyana overall have describe everything which kinda alike with my judgement.

http://www.himeuta.net/signaturepics/sigpic13355_2.gif