Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Fall event Maint will start on 17th Nov. Check thread for more information and discussion.
      New Forum "Azur Lane" has been added to User Suggested Forums
Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    IGN
    Trickster
    Server
    Palau Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3103 Post(s)
    Waiting for the 1st episode of Battle girl high school

Lord Paramount of the High Gardens. [Flower Knights pomf'ed: 140]
    Flower Knight Girl ID: 221329971 (DMM)
    Shiratsuyu-Girls:
    Shiratsuyu, Shigure, Murasame, Yuudachi, Harusame, Samidare, Umikaze, Yamakaze, Kawakaze, Suzukaze

Rep
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    I am legit impressed with Touken Ranbu and Kakegurui, wasn't expecting summer season to start with a bang.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)
    Final season watch list has 4 "will watch" (plan to at finish at least) shows: Fate/Apocrypha (Ep. 01 Eng. subs out when?), NEW GAME!!, Owarimonogatari (Only 7 episodes?), and Re Creators. I had Bahamut VS as "plan B" if I didn't find enough shows to at least try out, but after going through the season previews again, I somehow managed to find 9 other shows for "3 Episode Rule" trial. That may not be a lot for some, but it's a pretty good amount for me and about double what I initially thought. Question is keeping up with shows (especially if we get a large Summer Event) and the usual which ones I drop or stick with. Not overly optimistic with the shows on my "3 Episode Rule list" to be honest. :/ Maybe I'll also try to finish up AoT S2 even though I'm spoiled. Maybe.

@Laisy: Good to know. Perhaps a reason for optimism. Oh, is Fate/Apocrypha one or two cours?

@firemagnet @Laisy: I did know about the recap episode. I think that this starts back up next week, but with 13 episodes down and only 22 total (according to MAL), either there are going to be a couple weeks off or this is going to end before season's end.

I don't know about "setting the benchmark" for recaps, but have to give credit where credit is due. I did get a laugh out of Meteora's "perfect ending" in the beginning. Well played Re Creators. Also, is it wrong of me to prefer sexy Meteora XD. They did a good job with this. It's a recap, but also manages to add something more than the usual copy and paste clips of past episodes. Frankly, a recap isn't such a bad idea for the show anyway given all the exposition and characters from various stories.

Still, I could have done without the not-so-veiled rant at the end. OK, people don't like the character design for Altair... I guess (I like it FWIW)? Uh, thanks for letting me know? As for the not-even-veiled comment about quality and such, someone in said criticized industry disagrees. What a surprise. Next up, professional athletes claim they don't make too much money! Maybe what puzzled me the most was "don't worry" and that this recap was "planned from the beginning". O.o Recap episode are not that uncommon, and again, this is 22 episodes, not 24 or 25 over 2-cours so... why is this a surprise? IIRC, there was a two-cour show that just took a week off since it wasn't 24 or 25 episodes. No big deal. Even if they needed to skip a week unplanned that also happens. IDK, just the phrasing made it sound like some viewers were worried the show was just going to stop halfway and never be finished. I suppose it's possible, but has that ever happened with a show. I don't mean didn't get another season, but was scheduled for say 24 episodes then just canceled after 12 (or scheduled for 12 (one-cour) and stopped at say 7)?

Anyway, nice job on the recap and back to our normally scheduled programming next week.

@dandan550: That's on my list as well. I've read comparisons to KanColle, but I'm not sure how accurately beyond "is based on game" that comparison applies. Honestly, I don't have any real expectations, but giving it a shot.

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

IGN
    Laisy
    Server
    Hitokappu
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3750 Post(s)
    @goesto11 Funnily enough, UTW is back! They just uploaded on nyaa

The recap is definitely fine. Although my point is, people don't like to have to wait for one more week for the story to progress while the show tells you something you probably already know. And usually we didn't know when the recap is. I do see people accuse the shows to force a recap because they couldn't finish the show on time ,which I don't know if its true, although cases like GuP did had to postpone because of some issues. The rant was hilarious tho, to listen from what the team wants to say.

Nothing much happening right now, isn't it?

Laisy's Journey of Drawing

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)
    @Laisy: Thanks for the tip on Fate/Apoc Ep. 01. UTW usually does a good job with TL as best I can tell.

I get your point about recaps - they are less than ideal, but if you have a show that's 22 episodes over 2-cours, then gonna have a couple weeks off. Just how it works. Is just a dead week with nothing better? Of course one might say just make it 24 episodes, but I'd MUCH prefer that a show take the right amount of time it needs to tell the story properly than rush or pad it. I also thought about GuP TV. Sucked at the time and really shouldn't happen, but in that situation, better to take the time to do it right than put out a half-ass product.

As for the rant, I can see how one might look at it as amusing. For me it was just kind of there, and odd on the one matter of "don't worry". Not sure if that was to be taken literally (as in some viewers were actually concerned) or sarcasm/"comedy". *shrugs* Regardless, have to give some points for the fact they didn't just phone in the recap like some shows often do. Also, sexy Meteora FTW. ;)

Rep
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goesto11 View Post
    @firemagnet @Laisy: I did know about the recap episode. I think that this starts back up next week, but with 13 episodes down and only 22 total (according to MAL), either there are going to be a couple weeks off or this is going to end before season's end.

I don't know about "setting the benchmark" for recaps, but have to give credit where credit is due. I did get a laugh out of Meteora's "perfect ending" in the beginning. Well played Re Creators. Also, is it wrong of me to prefer sexy Meteora XD. They did a good job with this. It's a recap, but also manages to add something more than the usual copy and paste clips of past episodes. Frankly, a recap isn't such a bad idea for the show anyway given all the exposition and characters from various stories.

Still, I could have done without the not-so-veiled rant at the end. OK, people don't like the character design for Altair... I guess (I like it FWIW)? Uh, thanks for letting me know? As for the not-even-veiled comment about quality and such, someone in said criticized industry disagrees. What a surprise. Next up, professional athletes claim they don't make too much money! Maybe what puzzled me the most was "don't worry" and that this recap was "planned from the beginning". O.o Recap episode are not that uncommon, and again, this is 22 episodes, not 24 or 25 over 2-cours so... why is this a surprise? IIRC, there was a two-cour show that just took a week off since it wasn't 24 or 25 episodes. No big deal. Even if they needed to skip a week unplanned that also happens. IDK, just the phrasing made it sound like some viewers were worried the show was just going to stop halfway and never be finished. I suppose it's possible, but has that ever happened with a show. I don't mean didn't get another season, but was scheduled for say 24 episodes then just canceled after 12 (or scheduled for 12 (one-cour) and stopped at say 7)?

Anyway, nice job on the recap and back to our normally scheduled programming next week.

If you look on MAL and elsewhere, there's been a lot of hate on the show for "too much dialogue, this is a failure, etc." Meteora's monolgue towards the end seems to have been more of a "now, now, children" towards that audience. At least, that's how I saw it.

IGN
    Trickster
    Server
    Palau Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3103 Post(s)
    @goesto11 same here, my expectations were a bit lower since they might turn away from the "teacher + student" relationship stuff and become a lesbian bait show.

Still it is better to see how it will go.

Shiratsuyu-Girls:
    Shiratsuyu, Shigure, Murasame, Yuudachi, Harusame, Samidare, Umikaze, Yamakaze, Kawakaze, Suzukaze

Rep
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Just watched Fate Apocrypha and damn, A1 did a decent job in the first episode, they went full tryhard by trying to match UFOtable but I value the effort.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1333 Post(s)
    @firemagnet: I'm not on MAL (or Reddit), but it's to be expected that a show garners some criticism. Not going to please everyone. So the fact that there's criticism of Re Creators is "as expected" IMO rather than any shock. JMO, but the show isn't perfect anyway. Again, I can see both sides with what they did. On the one hand, the in-episode retort by the staff to criticism could be somewhat amusing. On the other hand, it can be considered kind of patronizing.

------------------
    @dandan550: Hmm... I just watched it and I didn't get any strong yuri undertones.

------------------

As for BGHS Ep. 01 in general, I was completely underwhelmed. Didn't have high expectations, but did think it might be better than it was. For one, Ep. 01 was too much of a crammed mess trying to introduce all 18(?) characters in one episode. Also, there was no "hook" whatsoever for me. All the characters were just a jumbled mess of "meh". Didn't latch on to any of them. I get that for the plot battles are easy now, but even discounting that, just the style & presentation don't seem like they will be all that good. "Comedy" didn't work for me either. Not good since there appears to be quite a lot of YMMV SOL with this if Ep. 01 is any indication. Really nothing worked - a quintessential "just there" show. Right now I plan to watch Ep. 02 just to be thorough, but can't say for sure that I will. 99.9% sure this is a drop for me.
    @Kranesh: Agree. There were signs of effort, but I'd be lying if I said that I thought the visual quality was up to Ufotable standards. Kind of a shame, but at least visually this might not be too bad as long as the budget holds out (and it should given it's Fate).

-------------------

As for Fate Apoc. Ep. 01, I thought this was a fairly good introduction. It wasn't super dynamic and I'm not fond of what appears to be an in medias res opening, but at least they didn't give much away. Lot of exposition and setup! I like FSN & played the VN (albeit a lot time ago), but still struggled a bit with all the lore. Greater & Lesser Grails, "true magic", etc. I HOPE like hell this is a 2-cour show, even if split cour, because between the need to explain some stuff on top of now 14 master-servant teams, I think this would end up terribly rushed in a single cour. Perhaps it could work, but hard to envision that.

Mordred was a surprise twist, though perhaps a bit of a cheat since not really part of the "round table" unless I missing something from Arthurian legend. Gah, just so much set up left to do with all the characters alone. Really should have been a double length episode. I like FSN so I'm in for sure. I think this could be a good show, but may take awhile to ramp up.

IGN
    Trickster
    Server
    Palau Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    3103 Post(s)
    @goesto11 Oh sure you can't feel since you hadn't play the game. But sooner or later you'll find it out (players or those who had stronger yuri detection radar can sense it)---As my opinion of the show, my expectation was relatively increased. But true introducing all girls of the cast to new people will be very hard. The 1st episode decided to put some interest views and of course it has almost had little point to the story in the game (It seem to be between Sadone's past arc and shiho/kanon arc)

Well can't force my opinion or love for this game though. Best to watch and enjoy.

Last edited by dandan550; 07-04-2017 at 12:47 AM.
    Shiratsuyu-Girls: