Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      The Yura K2 patch maintenance has ended. Check out the patch thread for more information and discussion.
Bookmark Thread
    IGN
    かぜばね
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)

SS-Cheesing 5-4 for rank - help appreciated

I've decided to give ranking at top 500 a try this month, and to start with, I tried the 6SS(V) method like a lot of people did (?).

However, I don't seem to have a satisfactory passing rating and always get trolled by ASW ships.
    Out of 8 sorties, I passed only 4 times, got sent back by both nodes that possibly sends SSs back.

Here is one comp of mine that got sent back:

SSV: I-58/Lv118, I-19/Lv119, I-13/Lv69, I-14/Lv69, I-401/Lv95
    SS: Ro500/Lv97

Best torps on Ro and Shioi, I-13/14 has their periscopes equipped, everyone else using normal quads.

Actually, even my best SS-fleet gets sent back as often so I cycled them with "lesser" SSs.

Torpedoes I have:
    Quad-torps: +7 x1, +0 many
    Quint-torps: +6 x2, +0 x1
    Bow-mounted Octa-torps for SS: x2
    Late-model Hexa-torps for SS: x1
    FAT Torp (Ro's torp): x1

SS(V)s I have:

(Summary: first set of I-58, I-8, I-19 are SSVs and married, second/third set are not remodeled. I-168 is similar, second/third set are not remodeled. All three I-26s are not remodeled. Second Yuu is vanilla Yuu. I-401, 13, 14 are all fully remodeled.)

50% passing rate seems too low (north route with heavier ships have >90% passing rate), what am I doing wrong here?
    Is there any way I can improve my passing rate?
    Or is it simply because early-hundred-level SSVs aren't powerful enough?

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited by kazenorin; 06-01-2017 at 03:59 AM.
    Got stuck and cannot proceed, then you, my first battleship passionately came: Kongou 126/155, 2016-02-28
    LSC Journey | Taihou 2016-06-16 | Yamato 2016-09-03 | Musashi 2016-09-08 | Bismarck 2016-09-10

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4410 Post(s)
    @kazenorin 50% is indeed low. I looked up the underwater comp passing rate last 2 months, and it was 98/113. All my subs are not married, so it's not a problem of level. I only use underwater fleet as a secondary source of ranking pts, when my surface fleet is out of morale.

This is what I do with the underwater comp. I would have 2 sets of ships for rotation, and send any chuha ship to dock for repair. Always leave one dock empty for your surface fleet.

1. Either I13 or I14 with telescope+late model bow torp+any torp
    2. I500 with 2 torp
    3. I58kai with 2 torp
    4. pre-remodeled sub with 1 torp
    5: pre-remodeled sub with 1 torp
    6. I168 kai with 2 torp.

I used a mix of SS and SSV to make use of normal sub's short repair time. I58 kai was chosen for her high luck, and I500 for her toughness and short repair time. I13 and I14 are there for leveling, and you can replace them with any SSV. I168 kai is the only remaining sub that can carry 2 torps, so she is a good choice here as well.

The sexiest bridge ever made.

IGN
    Trickster
    Server
    Palau Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    2859 Post(s)
    Hmmmm using SS for ranking in 5-4 is seem to be require high RNG rigging over anything else in my opinion...

Lord Paramount of the High Gardens. [Flower Knights pomf'ed: 115]
    Flower Knight Girl ID: 221329971 (DMM)
    Shiratsuyu-Girls:
    Shiratsuyu, Shigure, Murasame, Yuudachi, Harusame, Samidare, Umikaze, Yamakaze, Kawakaze, Suzukaze

IGN
    かぜばね
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    @dandan550 But if it's totally RNG dependent, it probably shouldn't make such big difference... It's 86% vs 50%...
    @211303

Are all your improvable torps improved?
    I understand for the first node, one of the comp the ASW ship is in flagship position and gets protected so I can't hit...
    But for some reason I almost always miss the two ships with depth charges in pre-boss.

I did another ten runs with a comp resembling yours, and it's around the same 50% passing rate...
    I kind of switched to surface fleet north routing because it ironically consumes less resource (factoring in retreats and repairs).
    I realize for more than half of the runs (around 6 or 7), for the first node I get the flagship ASW CL comp, and only twice for the comp that has no ASW equipment.
    Maybe that's why I got sent back at the first node so often...

Even when I pass, most of the time half of the fleet is quite damaged and requires repairs...

How did you get such a high passing rate with that comp

-----

Also I just looked up the past ranking point requirements for my server at the Japanese wiki...
    Gosh, how come my server have such high requirements

Got stuck and cannot proceed, then you, my first battleship passionately came: Kongou 126/155, 2016-02-28
    LSC Journey | Taihou 2016-06-16 | Yamato 2016-09-03 | Musashi 2016-09-08 | Bismarck 2016-09-10

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4410 Post(s)
    @kazenorin Yes, the advantage of underwater fleet is no bauxite, steel and bucket cost at all (In terms of bucket, it's only true if you use surface fleet as well, as you will need to bucket the SSV if you use sub fleet only), but it would not be much different in terms of fuel and ammo. Node F rarely taihai my ships. Usually it is node N that gives me trouble, when I get the double line comp. It should be pretty safe when you get the single line one. It is not rare to have multiple taihai ship at boss node, which is why you need multiple subs for rotation. If you want to use sub fleet only, you will need at least 4 sets of subs (I168kai, I500, I58 kai, 2 from I8, I9, I26. You do not need that many SSV, as they rarely taihai) for rotation, unless, of cos, you bucket all the subs.

As for my fleet, yes, except the submarine only torps that I cannot upgrade, all my subs are using +6 quint. I have two suggestion which might help. 1. Not to sortie a sub with lower than 33 morale, since a ship will have lower evasion at cond below 33 (would recommend at least 40 as buffer, since there is a high chance for D rank at the night battle node), and 2. Switch the flagship to another SSV in your fleet after every sortie, so that you can keep them sparkled. SSV are the ship you want to protect since they have a long repair time.

I see that you are in hashirajima, and unfortunately, that server is the one with the highest ranking borderline at T500. This is due to it being the newest server, and also the server with the most no. of active player. Ranking in hashi will be significantly harder than any other server. For instance, last May's T500 line in Hashi is almost 2900, while most of the other servers are only at 2200+.

Last edited by 211303; 06-01-2017 at 05:06 PM.
    The sexiest bridge ever made.