Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Summer event 2017 has started. Check out the patch thread for more information and discussion.
Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    @ofi123: I agree with that. Two "gunmats" for 41cm twin -> prototype 41cm triple is one too many. Frankly, I'm not entirely sure whether how necessary it is for any "gunmat" requirement for 41cm twin -> prototype 41cm triple, but one IMO is certainly sufficient.

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

Server
    Explosive Licking Castle
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1405 Post(s)
    On a related note (or not?), has anyone tried the 6-2 portion of the new Kumano Kai Ni quest, and what route did you take?

It sounds like you need 2 DDs to get the 3 battle south routing (BFHK/BFIK), according to JP wikiwiki, but that means you probably want Suzuya CVL for air power (or else gamble on not getting the Wo formations to be able to take AS with just seaplane fighters), or else throw in some BB/CV/CLT and take the extra battle at E.

I'd think it's pretty crafty if they designed this quest in such a way that having Suzuya CVL was actually the preferred course of action, since she's, so far, quite pointless otherwise except for her quest.

On the other changes, I'm lucky to have a Proto 41cm at max already, saving some effort, so I'll probably cough up for one 41cm Kai, although (as already pointed out in the Nagato K2 update thread) it just feels like a poor man's GFCS that can be (eventually) mass produced. It feels to me they're only worth spending on for people who absolutely must max every single BB gun they have and they're already done with the GFCS.

Since I only max one of every gun and certainly don't intend to mass produce 41cm Kais... well, having dupes of the 'new model gun improvement' would be useless to me until they add yet more gun improvements that require those items, and they'd almost surely add new quests to account for such needs. Until then, the new quarterly quest feels like a great way to convert excess steel into 4 screws, perhaps?

KanDex First Completed 16 February 2016 // HQ Lvl 120! 9 March 2016 // 2nd Anniversary with Hiyou! 31 March 2017

WARNING!! A Huge Event Summer 2017 Is Approaching Fast

Rep
    Mentioned
    2102 Post(s)
    @goesto11

Yeah, one gunmat plus the screws to get to 10* should be enough to match the BP and leveling requirements of a Fusou class kai ni.

@NanashiYoukai

I have a single digit steel due to me being an idiot doing the new scrapping quest. I can't even afford to do those new sortie quest X'D

And I doubt the 41 triple will ever be a "mass production" item. With the final cost of gunmats being 18k steel every quarter, so just prototype > kai needs 36k steel and half a year. And that's getting a prototype via leveling a Fusou class to kai ni and needing a BP.

Piuy is the boss.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    @ofi123: Yep, 1 gunmat would be enough though given improvemat & 46cm fodder costs, I still wonder if even one gunmat is truly required. At any rate, we definitely agree that 2x gunmat for 41cm twin -> prototype 41cm triple is one too many. Also agree that I don't see "mass production" of 41cm triple kai. I still think they are good guns in their own right (and not simply a "poor mans" GFCS), but yes, would take a long time and not cheap either. Like anything, there's an opportunity costs. Lot of things to upgrade and/or improve besides main guns. That and an increasing amount of BP required remodels. :/

Server
    Explosive Licking Castle
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1405 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ofi123 View Post
    @NanashiYoukai

I have a single digit steel due to me being an idiot doing the new scrapping quest. I can't even afford to do those new sortie quest X'D

And I doubt the 41 triple will ever be a "mass production" item. With the final cost of gunmats being 18k steel every quarter, so just prototype > kai needs 36k steel and half a year. And that's getting a prototype via leveling a Fusou class to kai ni and needing a BP.
    You have my sympathies for being a vet player that actually runs out of steel somehow lels quietly
    Although to be fair people have been complaining for ages about having way too much steel (once all LSCs are completed) compared to other resources. The new quest (and some other additions like Jet costs) go some way to giving the resource an actual purpose other than spamming LSC. Personally I don't have a huge problem with the fact that the new quests demand it - I'd happily accept the option of trading 18k steel every 3 months for a medal, never mind the new gun improvement material.

That being said, I guess I'm convinced, 4 of the new gun mat a year is not an awful lot. I've been persuaded to take that instead of the medal even though I only plan to get one 41cm Kai anyway. I just hope there are some other uses for the gun mat in the future, and that it isn't going to be as useless 1 year in the future as Skilled Pilots are right now to just crank out a single item (albeit one arguably more useful, and definitely more difficult to get than Type 21 skilleds).

I'm still picking the Type 63 F/B for the Kumano K2 quest (when I get a round tuit) so I can just keep them and junk all the Type 62 FBs though.

As to what I meant about 'mass-production', I just mean you can get more of them. Perhaps 'reproducible' might be a word with less throwaway connotations. On the other hand we aren't going to get any more 16in guns unless we can get dupe Iowas or for rewards from events/ranking and those are still preferable if ever they could be gotten.

KanDex First Completed 16 February 2016 // HQ Lvl 120! 9 March 2016 // 2nd Anniversary with Hiyou! 31 March 2017

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NanashiYoukai View Post
    On a related note (or not?), has anyone tried the 6-2 portion of the new Kumano Kai Ni quest, and what route did you take?

It sounds like you need 2 DDs to get the 3 battle south routing (BFHK/BFIK), according to JP wikiwiki, but that means you probably want Suzuya CVL for air power (or else gamble on not getting the Wo formations to be able to take AS with just seaplane fighters), or else throw in some BB/CV/CLT and take the extra battle at E.

I'd think it's pretty crafty if they designed this quest in such a way that having Suzuya CVL was actually the preferred course of action, since she's, so far, quite pointless otherwise except for her quest.
    Can you use CVL versions for either Suzuya or Kumano for that quest? Just asking (have no idea) since English quest TL j"Kai ni" vs. "Kai ni/CVL Kai ni" (or similar phrasing).

Server
    Explosive Licking Castle
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1405 Post(s)
    @goesto11 According to JP wikiwiki, either version, CAV or CVL, of either Suzuya or Kumano is acceptable for the purposes of both the composition and sortie quests. Basically any combination of CAV or CVL is permitted as long as both have been K2'd.

I haven't tested this personally yet. (waiting for an excuse to blow up lvl 99 Kumano before remodelling her)

Rep
    Mentioned
    2102 Post(s)
    @NanashiYoukai

Well, trying for ranked before and after the event + LSC for maruyu after event + crafting T32 and 46cm for modding + new quests that eats thousands of steel depleted my steel.

For me if I have the resources I prefer to max 16 GFCS before maxing 41 kai. Though for OCD sake I'll make my maxed 41 prototype to 41 kai so I can have 2 41 kai, though maxing them will be after I max out my 2nd 16 GFCS.

Piuy is the boss.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    @NanashiYoukai: Cool. Thanks. I'm restricted to KC Wiki/Wikia for this stuff. I have Suzuya CVL Kai ni, but probably stick to B->F->E->H->K rather than include two squishy DD.

As for Type 0 M63 fighter-bomber, thought about choosing that (when I get the quest done) since it's a rare/unbuildable item whereas there is the quarterly "gunmat" quest (though you do need 2x gunmats and some might not want to wait until next quarter for a 4th). Problem is that I just don't use Type 0 M62/63 much at all - including Iwai version. Other than just getting to max rank, not sure if I've ever used the Type 0 M63 (I do use M62 on CV(L) for 3-2 leveling, but lower stats better for that purpose).

Rep
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    @NanashiYoukai I just completed 6-2 using Kumano CAV, Suzuya CVL, Mogami, Mikuma, CLT and CVB.
    Fleet went BFEHK and met with the strongest fleets possible. And it all went just fine.

I suppose you could go with Suzuya CAV instead, at the cost of some bombers on the CV.
    Full CAV+CV will send you to dead end C. I'm not sure if it will if you go with 4CAV CVL CV, though.