Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
  • News & Announcements
      Saratoga mk2 patch is here. Check out the patch thread for more information and discussion.
      Visitor messaging is temporarily disabled.
Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1331 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 211303 View Post
    Seems we are going to Europe this time. This is the event title: 西方再打通! 欧州救援作戦. (I can't come up with a more sophisticated translation. Will update later.). Also noted that there is a mysterious silhouette of a CV.

Basically, the title suggests some kind of crossing-through mission to reinforce/rescue Europe. My guess is that would involve Suez Canal, because that's the shortest route.

- - - Updated - - -

A CV will be the reward of the last map. There will be multiple foreign ship drops in the later maps.
    First, thanks for the update & TL. Well, that's "what if". Given other hints sure seems like Ark Royal is the new foreign CV. If so, I do wonder what the plane count will be for her since there is a fairly large discrepancy between designed capacity and actual capacity per Wiki.

On the plus side, whoever the RN CV is, she'll be a map reward. I hope the new BB is also a reward. Again, got enough maps here. On the down side (IMO) "multiple foreign ship drops" (one a sub apparently) on top of a new IJN DD. :/ Last event had 4 new ship drops. Will this event have more than that? More than 6 new ships total introduced? Seems like most of the new ships will be foreign, but just a guess on my part.

Thanks to Arkayda for the signature.

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4701 Post(s)
    @goesto11 the multiple foreign ship drops include old ships like warspite.

The sexiest bridge ever made.

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1331 Post(s)
    @211303: Thanks for clarifying. Thought that was for new ships. Makes a difference. Also, nice for newer players/those who don't have some of the already released foreign ships. Still, there should be at least 3 new foreign ships if I have the current hints right. Might be more than than that.

Edit: Just checked on KC Wikia and event title TL there is "Strike through the West! Europe Rescue Operation". Also, "a Japanese Destroyer will be Reward for clearing the Main Operation of the Event". Not sure what that means in context of item #4 in a previous post: "A new Japanese DD will drop in early maps." Difference of opinion on TL or two different things (i.e one new IJN DD is a reward and other new IJN DD drops just like other events). Still curious as to whether new BB is drop or reward. Have a feeling it's going to be a drop.

Last edited by goesto11; 07-30-2017 at 07:42 AM.

IGN
    Harold
    Server
    Lingga
    Rep
    Mentioned
    4701 Post(s)
    @goesto11 well, the tweets that I have seen seemed to suggest a new Japanese DD drop. I will not say it's 100% confirmed since we only have second-handed news now.

About the translation, it catches most of the meaning of the title, except the word 再, which means again. By again, they are probably talking about 2015 Spring, where we first established connection to Europe and meet up with the Italians.

The sexiest bridge ever made.

Rep
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Looks like a shoe-in for Ark Royal

Her tower is really prominent

I predickt 65hp 82 armour 60 firepower and on kai a 30/18/12/12 plane slot loadout with medium range due to catapult. 40 luck for being considered a lucky ship, although she sank early, she only lost a single crewman in her sinking and frankly could very easily have been saved if not for the blast damaging shipboard communications, preventing effective damage control.

I think there is a good chance on kai for her to become an Armoured carrier. Although she never had a armoured flight deck due to weight restriction of the Naval Treaty, it was planned, she was the first carrier with a fully enclosed and armoured hangar, and later Brit carriers tended to have armoured decks.

1 out of 0 members found this post helpful.
    Last edited by CaptainCoxwagle; 07-30-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    "There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today," Admiral David Beatty, 1st Earl Beatty. Battle of Jutland, 1916

IGN
    コスモスペンギン
    Server
    Hashirajima Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 211303 View Post
    @goesto11 the multiple foreign ship drops include old ships like warspite.
    Graf and Aquila were explicitly mentioned too.
    Considering Graf is the only event-exclusive ship still missing from my base..... ;)

Why marry ships when I already have Space Shuttle Discovery as my waifu? ?_?

Summer '17 event completed 27 August 2017! (H-H-H-H-H-H-N + all new ships & Graf bagged)
    Yamato added to fleet 2 September 2017 :) MIA list: Musashi/Taihou/Unryuu

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1331 Post(s)
    @211303: That's cool, just posting as an FYI regardng the IJN DD. As for the event title, the "again" part is interesting. Probably as you say, a throwback to the Spring 2015 event.

@CaptainCoxwagle: Agree. Looking more and more like Ark Royal. As for the stats, hard to say and while I could be wrong, 60FP seems high to me for a kai remodel CV (if she has a Kai ni "built in", then different story). Luck is a bit difficult to project IMO. Wiki has in interesting comment: "Study of the wreck also showed that attempting to restart the engines to provide power increased the stresses placed on the hull, adding to the flooding. Once power was lost, it was impossible to prevent the ship from sinking—her fate was more the result of design flaws than of the actions of her captain." So it seems it's not just the lack of communication, but the loss of power made damage control difficult. A design flaw corrected in the Illustrious- and Implacable-class carriers, As it was, she did sink in 1941.

To CVB or not CVB is indeed a big question. I can see CVB, particularly for later RN CV (Implacable-class should be quite good CV(B) in the game IMO). However, a "planned" (armored flight deck) to me is something more for a Kai ni. I wouldn't be shocked if she was a CVB, but IMO that's more likely with later RN CV per above. CVB also tend to have more FP so there is that. Not sure if your factoring CVB with your FP estimate or not. As for plane count, if CV, I can see 72 even if not the actual RL capacity since the game does bump plane count for some CV vs. RL. If CVB, then probably less. Not much less, but less. Speculation on my part. Devs do what devs do.

Oh, any thoughts on the new BB? Struggling a bit trying to guess that.

@Cosmic Penguin: Good hunting with Graf.

Last edited by goesto11; 07-30-2017 at 09:02 PM.

Rep
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    @goesto11 Power was not lost initially, despite the lack of backup diesel generators. However the lack of communications lead to a very long delay to stop the ship, leading to the ship taking on heavy amounts of water from the damage. Following this the Captain called for the ship to be abandoned, largely due to concerns over other British CV's sinking very quickly with heavy loss of life. It was not until the crew was assembled on deck and it looked like there was a possibility that the ship could be saved that damage control crews were sent back down, with modest success and a tow was called, but by then the flooding was too extensive for the pumps. If the Captain was aware of the extent of the damages and could stop the ship sooner, as well as the lack of escaping crewmembers leaving doors open behind them as they abandon ship, I'd say there is good chance the ship could be saved. Nevertheless a single casualty and the safe evacuation of the crew itself is worth a fair luckstat, not that it matters at all for carriers.

I guesstimated high fp due to her being the proto-armoured carrier, as well as her single attack with obsolete aircraft that contributed to the sinking of the bismarck. As well as the fact that Aircraft with catapults tend to have high firepower as well.

Well, of the viable battleships in the European theatre we have the Ugly Twins, Tirpitz, VV and her unfinished sister Impero, Richlieu and Jean-Bart, HMS Hood, Repulse and Renown, and the KGVs. But as Gangut has shown, there is also the vast array of antique battleships that can no longer be discounted.

As it stands there is nothing concrete to base a guess on.

"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today," Admiral David Beatty, 1st Earl Beatty. Battle of Jutland, 1916

Server
    Paramushir Anchorage
    Rep
    Mentioned
    1331 Post(s)
    @CaptainCoxwagle: My impression was that due to design & damage, even if the orders were relayed more promptly, the issue would still be in doubt per the comment above which notes that :her fate was more the result of design flaws than of the actions of her captain." Not questioning that there were other contributing factors (e.g. water-tight doors), but saving her still in doubt. As for the early in hindsight abandon ship, as I recall something similar happened with a USN CV-5 Yorktown. Abandoned ship, then went back to work on repairs. Damage wasn't as bad as they thought, so evacuation orders given early. Yorktown might have made it but for I-168. As for the crew, while great in terms of RL (less loss of life), I'm not sure if that's really a factor here since Ark Royal did sink.

Thinking of her as a "prototype CVB", then the higher FP makes more sense. However, in that case I do wonder about the plane count per above. Not saying it won't happen if the devs like Ark Royal, but certainly would be generous at Kai IMO with CVB + 60fp + 72 plane count before getting into luck/evasion/other.

Yeah, I'm stuck on the BB, especially now with Gangut. Frankly, I can't even narrow it down to one nation. @_@. Tirpitz would be interesting - possibly better than Bismarck Drei (at least luck. Maybe less FP?). Right or wrong, my "gut feeling" is that it won't be Tirpitz. I'm thinking more of a new BB class (or maybe just hoping for that). Are the "ugly twins" Gneisenau & Scharnhorst? Bah, can't remember, but I thought there was some hint for the BB about having a "checkered past" or something like that.

Last edited by goesto11; 07-30-2017 at 09:56 PM.